Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Really picky with my makeup, should I do my own?

As the title says, I’m reaaallyyyy picky when it comes to my makeup. I’ve never liked it when I’ve had it done by a professional. I always just feel so clownish and overdone. I’m the friend that always does peoples makeup for parties and whatnot, so I’m pretty good at it already. I’ve looked at what feels like every makeup artist in my areas Instagram page and don’t particularly like any of their work. They’re good, just not my style. It’s all really overdone, matte, lots of eye makeup, cakey looking. Do I just do my own to save myself from wasting money on something I’ll hate? 

Re: Really picky with my makeup, should I do my own?

• What about friends in your area? Have any of them used a professional make up artist and you've thought they looked really beautiful on their wedding day? The main reason I used a professional on my DD's wedding day was so the make up lasted all day long through a hot day and possible tears. I always do my own makeup and hate over done make up. The artist DD and the wedding party used did a great job that lasted all day. If you can't find anyone that you feel comfortable with, then do your own!
  • FWIW, I did my own makeup for my wedding, and while I'll admit I was a bit faded by the end of the day, overall I was happy with how it looked and how the pictures turned out. I looked like myself and saved a lot of money! 

• You’re free to do your own of course. Just keep in mind that photos do wash you out a bit so some of the intensity comes from working with the camera in mind. Are you looking at bridal specific makeup from artists in your area or just generic makeup artists on Instagram? Because those can be two very different things. 

• Millions of brides have done their own makeup and looked great in their pictures. Of course, you don't need to hire someone, especially if you like the way you do it yourself. Kate Middleton did her own for this very reason and no one complained about how her photos looked.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Of course you can do your own make up!  Im
    extremely low maintenance and don’t wear make up day to day (just daily moisturizer and chapstick), and it took me several free trials with MUAs to find one who did job I felt comfortable with.  (Do MUAs in your area offer free trials? )
    If you are doing your own  I’d probably ask my photographer for photos of any weddings they’ve shot in which the bride didn’t have professional make up. 
  • I don't wear make-up most of the time, but I did my own make-up for my wedding.  It looked great, including in the pictures, and I was glad I'd saved myself the money.

Though the initial main reason I didn't use an MUA is I got married 1500 miles away from where I live.  I didn't want to hire a MUA without a trial, but I didn't want the extra hassle of trying to do a trial only 1-2 days before my wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FWIW - go ahead and DIY your own makeup.  There are a few things that may seem like they're being overdone by MUA but it's all about the camera which is why it's often extended down the neckline and into the hair line along with more than normal when it comes to things like mascara.  Yes, the stage bleaches a lot of things out so there's a balance of compensating for the lighting you'll be in at the different points of the day, but overall, go ahead and DIY...
  • I always tried to do my own makeup because I saw how some masters work - they put too much foundation and the model's face becomes rubbery and unnatural.
  • It is good that you do your own Makeup