Wedding Woes

Uh yeah, I'd be looking.

Dear Prudence,

I have been at my job for less than a year. I got my foot in the door of a new industry through a personal connection after being laid off due to COVID. My boss regularly says things like they’re watching us and that we’re all on probation, and otherwise throws around their authority to create a fearful environment. Everyone on my team is doing at least three jobs. Sometimes we vent to one another after having awful interactions with our boss. One coworker has repeatedly said things indicating fighting with the boss physically. I have tried telling them to stop, but they treat me like their emotional dumping ground. They also not-so-subtly put me down while trying to make themselves sound better.

I transferred positions and have a new boss and coworkers, but I still work with the old team. So many people have left that we have maybe 15 percent of the staff remaining from when I started last year. I’ve lodged complaints to HR when necessary about my old boss before leaving that role, but my former colleague once again mentioned fighting the boss in front of me and two others recently. I reported the conversation to HR. The other two witnesses denied it happened. Do I look for another job? I have a series of short employment periods on my résumé due to part-time or contract work. If I stick it out until the one-year mark, will it look better? I really want to stay in this industry but have so little experience. I’m anxious at work as a result of this person’s behavior. I’ve talked to my new boss, and they’re supportive, and I also decided to go to therapy to help cope with the stress.

—Ongoing Hostilities

Re: Uh yeah, I'd be looking.

• Start looking.  This is not a recipe for a successful business or life.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Run. 

And I wouldn't worry about the short-term duration, especially with the pandemic since you could let them know it was a short-term position after losing your job due to the pandemic. I think employers are much more lenient in looking at gaps in employment or people working jobs not related to their career trajectory right now. 
  • You've been there less than a year and it's put you in therapy?  I'd be looking for the exits.  And I think employers are way more forgiving than you think. People have had to get creative with employment, especially recently. 
  • I understand wanting to get experience in the industry, but your mental health and safety have to come first here. 

And I do think that at least some employers are becoming more open-minded about shorter times at jobs, gaps in resumes, etc. That's not to say that every employer will be fine with it, but I wouldn't automatically assume that it will ruin your job search if you decide to leave now. 
  • There's nothing magical about the one year mark.  If LW is trying to stick out a horrible just to get to an arbitrary date that's a mistake.  Alison Green from Ask a Manager is a fabulous resource for this sort of question -highly recommend following her if anyone job questions!
  • "If you have to seek therapy or mental health days because of your work environment - it's time to dust off and distribute your resume!"...