Wedding Woes

It's actually Thursday

edited June 2021 in Wedding Woes
Starting this one off because I have an important question for @banana468. If someone is visiting your area from, say Phoenix, in the middle of September should they pack a winter jacket? Or are sweaters enough?

I had a dentist appointment this morning, just regular cleaning. Then a wax and Mani/Pedi. Tomorrow is our neighbor friends' daughter's birthday. Saturday, DH and I are taking DS for breakfast and pool at the place we went to a couple weeks ago.

Looking forward to Prudie.

Re: It's actually Thursday

• @ei34, thanks I can use that weather tip also!  My NYC trip is mid-Sept.  I was just looking at the Sept. temperatures for there yesterday.  During Prime Days, I bought a sleeveless summer dress and was thinking, "I can wear this for my trip!"  But then it occurred to me that, just because it is still ridiculously hot where I live in Sept., doesn't mean that's true 1300 miles NE from me, lol.  I see now I will probably need to have a cardigan handy for the evening!  But, overall, the weather will be a lot better than where I live at that time of year, so now I am even more excited.  It looks like NY has highs in the low-mid 70s.  Perfect!  NOLA still has highs in the high 80s.  I hope I remember that when I'm packing, lol.

Unless someone else is doing it, I'll pick up the Prudie torch while @mrsconn23 is gone.  I'll post around mid-morning.

It is a slooowww day at work!  Ugh.  I think I will take the opportunity to plan out my Restaurant Week, even though it is half over by now, lol.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We are steadily making progress towards getting our house ready to show. We got a good amount of stuff out to the curb on bulk trash day and more to donate. Now that the basement is mostly empty I need to get down there and clean it. Typical dingy basement laundry room with cinderblock walls and linoleum floors. It just needs a really good scrubbing. I think I will run out on my lunch and get some cleaning supplies so I can tackle that this weekend. Husband is off on Thursdays so he was going to do some running around and finish up a few minor repairs he has on his to-do list.

My mom texted me yesterday that she was talking to someone trying to sell their house and it had been on the market for 3 weeks now, so maybe the housing market is cooling. Our realtor isn’t concerned she said from what she has seen houses that are sitting are either overpriced or have major flaws. I’m kind of annoyed that she even told me because it doesn’t really help just adds to my stress.

• This has been the longest week ever and it's still not over. UGH. 

It's a long story, but I'm moving apartments within my building. It will be relatively easy because I'm going just a few floors down, but so not in the mood to pack again and move my furniture. UGH. 

But I'm flying out tomorrow and can't wait to get out of here for the weekend!
    I'm sorry to hear about the moving!  What a hassle.  I did that once in college.  Moved from one apartment to another.  FWIW, it is substantially easier than a typical move.  And you are in a building with an elevator, so it will be even easier than what I experienced.

Mine was a spread out apartment complex.  The old apartment was on the 2nd floor and new one was on the 3rd floor.  They were also on opposite ends, so I still used my car.  But I moved most of my stuff with a few storage containers.  I filled 2-3 containers of "like" items.  Drove to the new apartment and put them in the same spots.  I didn't even wrap most breakables because I was only driving within a parking lot.

For clothes, I took the drawers out...clothes and all...and transported the drawers separately.  That only left the dresser frame, which was light without any clothes/drawers in it.  For clothes in my closet, I grabbed them hangers and all and transported them that way.  Hung them right back up in my new closet.

It was a lot of walking up and down stairs and many, many trips driving through the parking lot, lol.  But, when I was done, I didn't need to unpack very much because it was easier to take a few minutes and put things where they went as I carried them into the apartment.

Unfortunately, most furniture takes at least two people to move it anywhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @climbingsingle I've done the same thing.  I was pretty lucky in that I was moving right next door.  But I really didn't pack anything.  Like @short+sassy, I took my dressers apart and just kept it all together and just took bins of things over to put in the same places in the new place.  I still needed help for the big furniture, but we were able to basically just slide it down the hallway.  It was a lot easier than any other move I've had to do.

I've had a tension headache for quite a few days now.  I had just received my new blue light blocking lenses in the mail, so I'm hoping they start to help.  Work is still stressful and I don't really see much end in sight of that.  Not too much going on, TBH.  I'm playing what I call food roulette (IDK why), b/c I'm trying to clean out the cabinet/freezer of the random things I've purchased and haven't used.
  • @ei34 In my head I know you are right but I am so acclimated to the heat now... I am afraid of a slight breeze, lol.

@climbingsingle good luck with the move! I also do what @short+sassy suggested and move the drawers with the clothes in them. I usually tape a piece of flat cardboard over the top to secure everything. Another tip for a quick move is to bundle everything hung in the closet like the dry cleaner. Take a large plastic bag, poke a hole in the bottom, feed the hooks of the hangers through (leaving all the clothes on of course), tie a knot at the bottom, then you just hang the hooks on the new rod, remove the plastic, and DONE!

@Jstump2 Your house will sell, don't worry.
  • Yes, thankfully I do have an elevator. I can reserve the freight elevator for like 2 hours, load stuff up, and then unload it on my new floor. But yeah, annoyingly the furniture will take two people. I wish I could just do it all myself! 

I'm only really packing up dishes so they're easier to move. Everything else is pretty much staying as is. 
  • I'll agree that September weather can be all over the place but I don't know that I've ever needed a winter jacket.  I've sometimes needed a sweatshirt AND a light fall jacket but that's about it for the cold factor.  There are also times that it's September and I'm wearing a tank and shorts.   The pool at our marina often doesn't close until late Sept and the kids are often in it mid month if that helps!

Also, coastal temps are best in late Aug/Sept because the water is warm.  It's often nicer in the boat in the late summer vs. early because the water is warmer and less likely to contribute to shrinkage. 
  • good luck with the move!  

Still no baby.  My family is coming this afternoon to stay for the weekend and sister will stay with us the majority of the next 4 weeks!  Yesterday was my last day in office - i'm still working but just at home until baby comes but it was nice to say goodbye to the ppl i see regularly and get my desk in order.  Trying to catch up on laundry and a couple last minute things around the house today in between calls.  

H and I decided to go all out for Mothers/Fathers day this year.  He bought a new driver for golf and I'm getting an espresso machine.  I'm dragging my feet though bc i just can't decide what kind!!! I think i've narrowed down to Nespresso brand with the pods, but there are so many machines i'm not really sure.  Any suggestions (sorry if i've asked this before, i've been polling all my friends and can't remember)?

Excited for Prudie!
  • Wasn't on yesterday so I could do my exam from home.
    I hate when they ask me next level up questions - yes I know them because it's stuff I deal with daily, but it throws me through a loop briefly when asked.
    At least this time I put some info on my study materials ....

I did get a ton of cleaning done. Not all I wanted but a solid amount.
    Our dining table hadn't been fully cleaned since I brought my work computer back, and our 2nd table plus hutch was starting to collect a ton also. Honestly, most of it was trash *face palm* Originally I had a pile of trash but it was getting too much. 1.5 walmart bags of just trash.
    I did recycle what I could, and it's not perfect but M has a stuff to sort through.

I planned on doing more cleaning because I was solo, but I just lost all motivation after my exam and basically sat on the couch watching Glee and talking to my mum lmao
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @VarunaTT I hope the headache begins to ease up  @MissKittyDanger I'm sorry about the exam frustrations!
    @climbingsingle blegh about the move...glad it's within your building but still a hassle.  Hope the new apt brings the same serenity as your current one

Yeah nyc/northeast spring and fall can have weeks where you literally experience all four seasons.  But I don't think you'll need a winter coat.  
  • @missJeanLouise - I would suggest layers.  Since you are so acclimated to the heat now, even cool temps will feel cold to you.  Bring a windproof outer layer that you can pair with sweater/sweatshirt if you feel cold.  Before the pandemic, we had co-workers come to MN from our AZ site and they said layers were the best for dressing here.

@VarunaTT - I hope your headache goes away.  So annoying!

@CharmedPam - your hypnosis session sounds amazing.  Hope it continues to work for you.

@climbingsingle - we once moved across the driveway.  Folks have given great advice here.

@MissKittyDanger - good luck on your exam

SSDD here.  I recorded a nearly hour long training video yesterday and looks like I'll need to re-do it today.  It's a topic I can do in my sleep so not a big deal.  My mom turns 80 in a couple of months.  We are having an open house and would like to send postcard announcements to some folks.  Anyone have good suggestions on good/inexpensive sites for postcards? 
  • ei34 said:
    @VarunaTT I hope the headache begins to ease up  @MissKittyDanger I'm sorry about the exam frustrations!
    @climbingsingle blegh about the move...glad it's within your building but still a hassle.  Hope the new apt brings the same serenity as your current one

Yeah nyc/northeast spring and fall can have weeks where you literally experience all four seasons.  But I don't think you'll need a winter coat.  
    The time of year, the last time I was in NYC was sometime in April.  The weather was perfect!  Sunny every day and in the 70s.  We were shocked to found out there had been a blizzard just a few weeks earlier!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MNNEBride we've used Staples and Walmart a lot for that type of thing - always happy with the quality and price. 
  • MNNEBride said:

@climbingsingle - we once moved across the driveway.  Folks have given great advice here.

I actually did that once too! I moved from an apartment in a house across the driveway to a little cottage in the back. 

This will make 11 moves in my life! Holy jeez. Thankfully I do have lots of help. 
  • ei34 said:

The time of year, the last time I was in NYC was sometime in April.  The weather was perfect!  Sunny every day and in the 70s.  We were shocked to found out there had been a blizzard just a few weeks earlier!
    Pretty sure that this year in the week of Mother's Day there was snow AND temps in the high 70's.  
  • @missJeanLouise as someone who lives in an area that hits 115+ F in the summer and who has traveled to the NY/CT area a lot in the fall while it was still super hot at home, I would take a mix of layers. I wouldn’t necessarily bring a heavy jacket, but I would bring a medium weight jacket because the nights can cool down a lot and you’ll be used to the warmth. Bring some t-shirts too, because during the day it could be warm and you don’t want to be caught off guard. I would probably bring a light waist length puffer jacket. They pack super light but help a ton with warmth. 

SSDD. I’ve had a headache for like two weeks straight now and I can’t tell if it’s the Botox or life. T-6.5 work days until vacation. I have a coffee cake muffin on my desk that I’m debating if I should eat or not. Stress eating me says devour the whole thing. Vacation in 15 days me says be good and throw it in the trash. 

• A mix of layers is a good idea.  Watch the forecast and see.  It's not usually that far off so if you see a frost warning in Sept you'll need something heavy.  If you see temps in the upper 80s you're going to want the short sleeves and sun dresses.   Know that by evening hours if you're on the shore you'll want a sweatshirt even if you didn't in the afternoon.  Usually by sunset I find I want long sleeves in the late summer.  

If you go more north then you may want longer layers.  I went to UConn and I think we had a first frost in late Sept.  

So I just picked up the kids from camp.  They're in the same general area with Chiquito at his school and Chiquita at hers.  As I waited in my car for Chiquita the counselors said that there was an "issue with a parent" and they'd be walking the kids to cars and bringing them up front.  I saw a local cop pull in as well but couldn't see anything.  

Chiquita explained that she heard some yelling and Chiquito said, "Maybe it was a Karen!"  I had to nicely tell my kids that such a term is not nice and needs to be not used but where my kid heard the line I couldn't tell you. 
  • I’m down the rabbit hole of the Britney Spears conservatorship case. Holy moly it reeks of collusion and judicial misconduct. 
    I haven't made it to Britney fully yet {been watching and reading about the mass graves at the residential schools} but from what I've seen of it .... how the fuck is ANY of this legal?
  • I’m down the rabbit hole of the Britney Spears conservatorship case. Holy moly it reeks of collusion and judicial misconduct. 

I have zero meetings this afternoon and I am excited! It’s DH late day so I think I’m going to make nachos for dinner with fresh chips. 

Has any purchased from Zuilly? Thoughts? 
    SLOOOOOOOW shipping unless they advertise it as something that will ship fast.  To give an idea we leave for vacation in the last two weeks of July and I would not buy any items from there for the kids. 

Their customer service is excellent.  Once I ordered a pair of Crocs for Chiquito and instead of the blue I ordered I received Frozen Crocs.  It wasn't what the kiddo would wear so I contacted them and they both shipped what I wanted, gave me a credit as a "we're sorry" and I didn't have to return the ones shipped. 

The name brand items that they sell are great.  If I am not familiar with the brand I probably won't buy anything fitted for me because I have had some misses with off fits or flimsy fabric.  If they're selling a dress for girls at a really low price it's likely made of really thin cheap material and that may or may not be what I want.  

I have zero meetings this afternoon and I am excited! It’s DH late day so I think I’m going to make nachos for dinner with fresh chips. 

It is astoundingly terrible.  Wonkette (a great political satire website) went off about how this would never happen to Brian Spears.  She's making people millions of dollars while she's limited to $2,000/week.  She compared her situation to sex trafficking and she is absolutely not wrong.  It really makes me angry and sick to my stomach what she is enduring.
  • VarunaTT said:
    I’m down the rabbit hole of the Britney Spears conservatorship case. Holy moly it reeks of collusion and judicial misconduct. 

It is astoundingly terrible.  Wonkette (a great political satire website) went off about how this would never happen to Brian Spears.  She's making people millions of dollars while she's limited to $2,000/week.  She compared her situation to sex trafficking and she is absolutely not wrong.  It really makes me angry and sick to my stomach what she is enduring.
    I just read her attorney makes $10,000 A WEEK and was selected by her father? I understand if someone didn’t have the mental capacity to select their attorney that the court should be able to appoint someone, but I was unaware that the conservator could pick the attorney. 

Wrong on so many levels. I actually feel really bad because I just thought she was a little off. I didn’t realize it was this terrible. 
  • banana468 said:
    A mix of layers is a good idea.  Watch the forecast and see.  It's not usually that far off so if you see a frost warning in Sept you'll need something heavy.  If you see temps in the upper 80s you're going to want the short sleeves and sun dresses.   Know that by evening hours if you're on the shore you'll want a sweatshirt even if you didn't in the afternoon.  Usually by sunset I find I want long sleeves in the late summer.  

If you go more north then you may want longer layers.  I went to UConn and I think we had a first frost in late Sept.  

So I just picked up the kids from camp.  They're in the same general area with Chiquito at his school and Chiquita at hers.  As I waited in my car for Chiquita the counselors said that there was an "issue with a parent" and they'd be walking the kids to cars and bringing them up front.  I saw a local cop pull in as well but couldn't see anything.  

Chiquita explained that she heard some yelling and Chiquito said, "Maybe it was a Karen!"  I had to nicely tell my kids that such a term is not nice and needs to be not used but where my kid heard the line I couldn't tell you. 
    Do not take this at all that I am talking about your kids.

But I really, really, really need to vent hard about how much I hate that term and how offensive I find it.

As we all know, it initially came about to refer to someone who is being privileged and unfair, usually to a POC.  And specifically refers to white woman, though I feel like that's been broadened a little bit to refer to anyone with those behaviors.

Except now it's being used just to insult someone.  No different than using the term bitch (when said in a derogatory tone).  Which is a sexist fucking word.  Just like "Karen".  IS A SEXIST FUCKING WORD.  It's not a man's first name.  It's a woman's first name.

How about, while we fight for the equality of POC, maybe we can also fight for gender equality.  OMG, at same time (gasp), especially since we're already having these imperative and long overdue conversations.  But no.  INSTEAD WE'RE KNOCKING GENDER EQUALITY DOWN, ANOTHER FUCKING NOTCH.

Look, I've lived my whole 47 years as a woman, so obviously I'm used to ALL the discrimination and micro-aggressions leveled against women.  You live with most of it.  Don't even usually notice a lot of it because that's always how it has been.  But to have yet another sexist term come out of a movement that's supposed to be about equal opportunities.  I just can't.  It sickens me to my core.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    I’m down the rabbit hole of the Britney Spears conservatorship case. Holy moly it reeks of collusion and judicial misconduct. 

SLOOOOOOOW shipping unless they advertise it as something that will ship fast.  To give an idea we leave for vacation in the last two weeks of July and I would not buy any items from there for the kids. 

Their customer service is excellent.  Once I ordered a pair of Crocs for Chiquito and instead of the blue I ordered I received Frozen Crocs.  It wasn't what the kiddo would wear so I contacted them and they both shipped what I wanted, gave me a credit as a "we're sorry" and I didn't have to return the ones shipped. 

The name brand items that they sell are great.  If I am not familiar with the brand I probably won't buy anything fitted for me because I have had some misses with off fits or flimsy fabric.  If they're selling a dress for girls at a really low price it's likely made of really thin cheap material and that may or may not be what I want.  
    Thank you! I was looking for some beach items, but we’re going at the end of July so the items will likely not be here. 

I appreciate the input! 
  • Thanks everyone. I will definitely have layers. We will arrive in the States at the beginning of August and New England is at the end of our trip so it will just be getting chilly. I will probably bring the coat I am thinking of, it's not really a winter coat by New England standards but I think will come in handy at night.
  • @short+sassy no offense taken here.  I actually said to both kids, "Karen is someone's name.  And you wouldn't want to hear someone say, "Oh I think that's a Chiquita," and year your name used as a way to call someone mean.  Please don't use it."   We need teachable moments, gender equality and no more name calling. 

@NBSquared2017 you're welcome!  I'd go w/ Amazon over Zulily for beach items.  Zulily may say "This will arrive in time for X event" but I know I have had to be SUPER patient.