Wedding Woes
Options

Post-vacay Monday

I'm baaaacccckkkk! 

Lake Ozark was great.  The weather was perfectly hot for all the watersports.  I loved, loved, loved jet-skiing.  I haven't been out like that on jet-skis since I was kid and went out on Canyon Lake in TX with my uncle.   

The only downside was there was some drama with FIL (well...there still kinda is).  It was rough on DH and his siblings.  The upside is that his sibs and some other family saw some shit that DH has dealt with pretty privately.  It definitely soured some of the trip, but we made the best of it in spite of his fuckery. 

But I have an amazing tan.  We had a wonderful time getting to know some family better.  DH's cousin married an amazing, hilarious chick and they were so fun to be around.  DH's other cousin is engaged to a super nice guy.  Also, my niece's boyfriend is just the bee's knees.  We met him over Thanksgiving, but got to know him better.  He's a super sweet kid and just so kind and polite. 

And then work decided to just go and blow shit up while I was gone.  I am doing the same job and no one got laid off or anything, but I now have an entirely new management chain.  I am going back to my old boss, with whom I have a good working relationship.  I am sad that I'm losing my current boss though because we're super tight and have worked together on the same team for over 15 years.  She's being reassigned to a new dept. 

Anyway, catching up on all the things.  How was your weekend? 

Re: Post-vacay Monday

• Options
    I ordered paint for my counters that I'll be doing on Friday - since I'm off. BK is going to be at my IL's for the day/night so if it's strong then M & I can just cope if necessary.
    I'm going to do our upstairs first in case it does smell strong.

I also ordered a swimsuit on Amazon but that won't come for awhile.

On Thursday we're going to my mum's for a BBQ - we aren't doing Canada day celebrations but we are still taking advantage of the day off.
    I'm borrowing my mum's rake and hedge clippers to deal with some weeds in our yard also.
  • Options

Glad you had a good trip, if a bit dampened by drama. 

It was a pretty chill weekend here. We were supposed to go tubing Saturday, but our flakey friends bailed on us last minute and we didn't really feel like going with just the two of us. So we went to home depot and did a bunch of chores. Yesterday we had a game and then SIL and family came for dinner and to spend the night. H grilled some bourbon salmon that turned out really well, so I'm already thinking of getting some more one night this week. 

Nothing much else going on. I'm obsessing a little over this building collapse in Miami. I've seen like three different stories that have me in the feels. 
  • Options
    Sounds like some great weekends for the WWers!

Mine was also good.  My H and I went out to lunch on Friday and on Saturday to take advantage of the last days of Restaurant Week.  In fact, for our lunch on Sat., we also got two lunch specials to-go for Sun.  On Sun. night, I had drinks with my friend.  She's also a neighbor and we are going out tonight for trivia at a bar that is walking distance to our houses.

I majorly scored on some mystery shops this morning.  Picked up about 5 gas station audits and two of them are bonused.  I also picked up a food delivery shop.  It's my first time completing this particular shop, but it sounds great.  I order food.  The food gets delivered.  I time how long it takes and take pictures of my delivery.  That's about it and I'm reimbursed for my purchase, plus a small fee.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Glad you had a good trip, if a bit dampened by drama. 

It was a pretty chill weekend here. We were supposed to go tubing Saturday, but our flakey friends bailed on us last minute and we didn't really feel like going with just the two of us. So we went to home depot and did a bunch of chores. Yesterday we had a game and then SIL and family came for dinner and to spend the night. H grilled some bourbon salmon that turned out really well, so I'm already thinking of getting some more one night this week. 

Nothing much else going on. I'm obsessing a little over this building collapse in Miami. I've seen like three different stories that have me in the feels. 
    I have been also.  For 3 months after Hurricane Katrina, my H and I lived in Bal Harbor which is next to Surfside.  It's a really small town...though part of the large Miami area... and I drove through it every day when we lived around there.  It's only a few blocks long, so it's weird to see Surfside as national news and especially for something so tragic.  I've been praying for the victims and their families.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I went into the office one day last week, and my boss was there, and he had a cold, and now I have the minor first inklings of a cold and I am extremely annoyed. We are in no way required to go in, if you have a cold stay home!
    What has covid taught us?!?

• Options
    @STARMOON44 that would irritate me so. much. I hope you recover quickly! 

@mrsconn23 I’m glad you had a good vacation, even though there was some drama. 

Weekend was pretty good. Saturday my mom came over and we got lunch. She’s doing okay but is sad. Then FSIL and I hiked 11 miles. I think I’m capping out at 97 degrees for being able to hike though. I was feeling pretty rough and drained by the end. The heat and I are not friends. FI was in a mood on Saturday. We were supposed to do date night out but ended up staying home which was probably for the best. 

Sunday we saw FI’s parent’s new place. They overpaid by an insane amount. It needs so much work. Then we went over to FSIL’s and hung out at their pool which was super relaxing. I’m a little tired today but it’s my last Monday at work so I’m keeping my attitude about it afloat. 

• Options
    Weekend was good!  Chiquita got a haircut which is super cute - I don't have an after photo yet but will take one.  The self-cut bangs are integrated and look like they're intentional now and it's a good 6 inches shorter but still long enough for a ponytail.  Perfect!

Saturday evening we were at the marina. We ran into a couple that's there so often and never introduced ourselves so we made friends.  Just as we were bonding I looked and  my 6 yo thinking he's just SO FUN pushed their 2 year old into the deep end of the pool.   They took it all in stride but it made for some serious drama and guilt on the kiddo's part.  Somehow we lost Chiquita's crab net so we need to keep looking or buy one soon.  That's one of their favorite activities when they aren't swimming (casting and using the nets for crabs or moon jellies) so we need to get on it. 

Yesterday was an afternoon of swimming for the kids and I jumped in too.  We aren't in the head advisory area of the state but it's still going to be warm enough for some good swim time.  I need to get the cooler ready for when DH gets home. 
  • Options
    We went to a wedding this weekend that broke just about every etiquette rule that exists. Seriously what are people thinking! However, the couple is happy, the actual ceremony was very nice and we got to see our oldest son and his wife on our way home. 

I've got a few days to get things back in order before heading north again to see grandkids. Vacation is in just a little over 2 months - can't wait. We will have all the family with us a some points. Probably not all at the same time but that is fine. A little less hectic that way maybe. 

Glad you had great weather and mostly relaxing vacation @mrsconn23.  And apparently covid hasn't taught your boss anything @STARMOON44!
  • Options
    If only automated website algorithms could understand letters, this one would be mine:

Dear Groupon,

As much as I enjoyed my vacation to Georgia, I returned back home to New Orleans over a month ago.  As such, there is no need to continue bombarding me with "Savannah walking tour" suggestions in both the e-mails you send me and when I visit your site.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
    Short+Sassy
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I was off last week though just a staycation, didn't do much. Saw some more houses made an offer 25K over and still lost. Saw another today which is for sale by owner, small, needs some updates and is way over priced even based on recent comps (except one outlier comp which is bigger and updated) but she won't budge. Have to decide if my preferred school district is worth the extra $15K (since it is FSBO I have to pay my agents fees bc the seller wont) when it is already $10K higher than even the crazy market prices. The hilarity of my life is finally being strong enough to leave and then unable to find a house. 
  • Options
  • Options
    My weekend was insane! I had volunteered to do a reading at my synagogue for the Saturday morning service some time ago and didn't remember it until I got a last-minute reminder on Friday. I had also volunteered to usher. At the same time, I got a notice that I had to renew a professional certification this week. So I spent Friday night going back over the reading and renewing the certification (neither was easy) and then doing the reading and ushering the next day at the service, which was the first Saturday morning service in the sanctuary since the start of the pandemic. Nice to be back although we still had to social distance. At least I got to see some old friends. I was in online plays on both Saturday and Sunday afternoons too.

But I had to deal with some sadness. My mom is hospitalized because of an infection. She's responding well to treatment, but she will have to get daily professional treatment on a permanent basis which she can't receive at home. She may have to move to a nursing home. I saw her on Saturday afternoon after the play reading. And the unveiling of the headstone of a family friend took place on Sunday morning (a Jewish tradition where a headstone is dedicated, about a year after the person passes away).

And all that's not counting what happens during the week! Yoga lessons, more play readings, some other volunteer work, and of course, work and household chores. Whew. 

Welcome back @mrsconn23. Your vacation sounds fun. I'm sorry about the boss issues.

@charlotte989875, congrats on the marathon!

Feel better soon @STARMOON44.

Good luck with your house search @kvruns.

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2021
    @Jen4948 you had such a whirlwind weekend! So sorry about your mom, I hope it doesn’t come to that!

sorry for anyone looking at houses in this ridic housing market.  It’s not fair for the average person right now :(

ahhh Savannah ❤️❤️❤️ @short+sassy, I saw a commercial just yesterday with southwest advertising flights to that and now SC. 

• Options
    @Jen4948, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom!  I'm glad she's responding well, but permanently needing daily treatment is a lot to bear.

@kvruns, good luck with your continued house search.  I don't want to pry into what's going on.  But would it maybe make more sense to find a rental for now and revisit buying a house at a later time?  If you live in a colder climate, I've heard there are fewer buyers in the market during the winter months.

I know it can be tricky to find a rental that will do less than a one year lease, but they are out there.  I've done a six-month lease twice, because the potential tenant asked.  Also, because of the eviction moratorium bs, there are also a whole lot more landlords nowadays that have switched to only month-to-month leases.  Myself included!   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    my problem with renting is houses are renting for $1200-1600 a month; apartments aren't much less and I'd rather spend my $ buying than renting
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    And speaking of rentals, the one I saw today was a rental prior, maintained by the seller. It had a smell of smoke when you go in and then things like bushes/trees/flower beds are all grown over and looking bad. The seller has tried to update some things in the house (guessing the carpets had been a mess) but still gives vibes of not having been taken care of well. That probably doesn’t help my unwillingness. 

On the other hand you can change the house not the location and location meets my criteria which is the first time I’ve found one that was in my preferred area 
  • Options
    I spent the weekend gardening.  My neighbours have called bylaw a bunch of times on me in the past, and I wanted to do something in my boulevard without them knowing, so at 10 pm at night after it got dark I moved one of my trees.  I only moved it a few feet, and I'm hoping they won't notice. They've called bylaw on me about the boulevard before.
    Essentially, I'm angry about the city taking away a tree they planted there and replacing it with a crappy tree that died, but I'm trying to pass off a different tree as that tree (one that I like much better) and seeing if they do anything about it.  
    Sounds like everyone had interesting weekends!  @CharmedPam I would love to see a Lipazzaner show!  Was it dressage?  

• Options
    Boulevard to me - is the patch of grass after the sidewalk, no? That’s what I always thought it was.  In my town, it’s technically the town’s property but I’m responsible for maintenance on it.

@kerbohl I’m not 100% sure what dressage is, even after googling but I think it was.  They walked around/rode around showing steps and jumps.  Here’s a few pics

• Options
    Boulevard to me - is the patch of grass after the sidewalk, no? That’s what I always thought it was.  In my town, it’s technically the town’s property but I’m responsible for maintenance on it.

@kerbohl I’m not 100% sure what dressage is, even after googling but I think it was.  They walked around/rode around showing steps and jumps.  Here’s a few pics

I call that the easement. (And probably until I was 18 I had no idea there was a term or that the homeowners didn't own it.) I'm sure it has different terms in different areas.
  • Options
    Oh interesting. We do not have a term for that. 
  • Options
    I call that the easement too. A boulevard to me is an extra wide street possibly lined with trees.

• Options
    Isn't the boulevard where the sun sets in Santa Monica?