Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid Decision: Having my cousin-in-law in the bridal party but not her husband

haleybeahrhaleybeahr member
First Anniversary
edited July 2021 in Wedding Party
Hi there! I'm recently struggling to decide whether or not to have my cousin-in-law as a bridesmaid at my wedding. At first, I thought, of course, because I love her, and we get along great, and she and her husband (my cousin) introduced me to my now fiance. However, my fiance isn't going to have my cousin, who is also his friend, in his party. This cousin is like a big brother to me, so I was a little shocked my fiance didn't want him in his party, but he has chosen childhood friends and cousins to be in his party, so I can also understand because I am doing the same.

My question is, is it awkward to have her in the bridal party and not my cousin, her husband? Do you think it will hurt her husband's feelings? Should I leave her out of the bridal party to avoid the issue? Note, she also volunteered to do my floral, so she will still be a part of the wedding planning process. 

Re: Bridesmaid Decision: Having my cousin-in-law in the bridal party but not her husband

• Options
    Hi there! I'm recently struggling to decide whether or not to have my cousin-in-law as a bridesmaid at my wedding. At first, I thought, of course, because I love her, and we get along great, and she and her husband (my cousin) introduced me to my now fiance. However, my fiance isn't going to have my cousin, who is also his friend, in his party. This cousin is like a big brother to me, so I was a little shocked my fiance didn't want him in his party, but he has chosen childhood friends and cousins to be in his party, so I can also understand because I am doing the same.

My question is, is it awkward to have her in the bridal party and not my cousin, her husband? Do you think it will hurt her husband's feelings? Should I leave her out of the bridal party to avoid the issue? Note, she also volunteered to do my floral, so she will still be a part of the wedding planning process. 
    If she's one of your closest friends, ask her.

You could also ask your cousin to stand on your side if that's someone you're close to. The days of single gender wedding parties are long gone.