Wedding Woes
Options

Sorry, I cannot get the time off work. Period.

My sister’s wedding got cancelled because of COVID last year. It was rescheduled for this September. The problem is, it looks like no one but our parents will be able to attend.

Our other sister is seven months pregnant and lives out of state. Her pregnancy is risky, and her doctors advised her not to travel at all. Our brother just had a serious surgery and will be in physical therapy for weeks. His wife has been the sole caregiver for him and their kids while being the only source of income. The other one is stuck overseas where they have higher travel restrictions.

I just started a new job after being unemployed for over a year and am trying to get my finances back in any sort of order. I was down to my last few hundred dollars when I got this job. It requires long hours, working weekends, and I am right at the bottom of leave requests. I have already been informed that my bosses might swing one day off for me, but not a whole weekend. The wedding is over nine hours away by car one way. Even if I drove all night, I would still have to skip the reception to be home on time for my shift. The cost of gas alone would be more than I could afford to spend right now.

I know my sister was counting on my being there, but when I called her to apologize and explain, she flew off the handle—complete rage. We all “hated her” and “wanted to spoil her wedding” and were “selfish monsters.” I told my sister she needed to calm down, step back, and get some perspective here. What she called me was unprintable.

I hung up and waited a few days to call back to give her time to cool down. She didn’t and worse, went ballistic on social media. She made horrible multiple posts and tagged all our siblings. She later deleted them, but the damage was done. No one is happy with our sister (and a few relationships might be permanently damaged). My parents are beside themselves with worry over this. They have offered to pay my expenses and begged me to come to the wedding.

The rub is my sister refuses to apologize to me. I could let that go, but right now, I am not inclined to drive a 16-hour round trip for someone acting like she is right now. Help, what should I do? (Also, flights are not an option given the cost and locations.)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sorry, I cannot get the time off work. Period.

• Options
    Wow.  Just wow.  What an absolute cvnt.  I'd have some sympathy for anyone's level of disappointment about this, but her behavior, even if it's only 1/2 true, is impossible.  I'm ashamed her parents are even indulging it.
  • Options
    Stand your ground. This is why you talk to VIPs before you choose a date. Sister didn't do that, and she's now living with the consequences. 
  • Options
    Why on earth did your sister plan her wedding before asking her siblings if they'd be able to attend? Really, this is on her. And if she wanted you all there, she'd start over and find a date that could work for all of you. But my guess is there are some sibling dynamics here, and what she's really asking is "how much will you sacrifice and drop everything to come to my wedding?"
  • Options
    I know COVID was really upsetting and frustrating for anyone who had their wedding planned during this time.  But, yeah.  None of the siblings can go and all for very valid and understandable reasons.  I don't know the timing for rescheduling the wedding.  Maybe everyone could have gone, except the sibling overseas, at the time it was rebooked.  But sometimes s**t happens.

It's simple math.  The sister and her FI could have moved their wedding again.  Fine if they don't want to, but it will be at the expense of the bride's siblings not being able to attend.  The other sister cannot become "un"-pregnant.  The brother cannot magically heal faster from major surgery.  The LW can't blow off their job after being UE for a year.  The overseas sibling cannot change travel restrictions.  These are all basic facts, so please step back into reality with the rest of us, LW's sister.

My own sister had her wedding about 6 weeks after Hurricane Katrina had flooded NOLA.  My H and I had evacuated to Miami and were still living there and weren't even sure when we could return home.  My sister told me she would totally understand if my H and I could no longer make it to the wedding (it was in San Diego).  I appreciated how understanding she was about it!  I was still able to go, but my H no longer could because of how that event had upended his job.  He needed to keep things running, IT-wise, out of Miami.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto the others!  

It seems like sis did not consult others for the date and even if she did, life events have happened including pregnancy, emergency surgery and job losses.  None of those things were done AT her.   

She has every right to be disappointed but with the lack of perspective she has she has no sympathy.  

If I were LW I'd be clear to the parents that you appreciate the offer but the logistics alone make this impossible.  You wish sister well on her wedding day and up until her insulting tirade of abuse you were sorry to  not attend.  
  • Options
    I assume sister rescheduled far in advance and then life happened and now no one can attend. But if it were me, I would offer to let sister pay for my plane ticket. I can't swing it but maybe she can 
  • Options
    I'm curious to know when sister and her FI made the decision to get married in September - there's a cynical and paranoid part of me that wonders if she planned last minute (at least by wedding standards) despite knowing how much her siblings had going on so that she could create drama and play victim. 

Either way, LW is under absolutely no obligation to go through 16 hours of driving and spending what little money they have on someone who is this abusive. Sister can go straight to hell.