Registry and Gift Forum

how to make a registry?

howdy! recently engaged, first time B2B and super excited for the most part! I am though a little bit lost on a few things, but i guess the one thing i need to get squared away pretty quick (according to my mom) is a gift registry.

i have...NO idea how these work.
like, am I supposed to go to the store and tell a manager i need to register for a wedding? what if the stores i like are only online or i can't travel to them? how do let people know what's on the registry? like do you get a link or something you just email to people? my friends registry was all digital so you kinda just clicked from a list and boom, purchased. the store i think even had things sent right to her? it was really nice but i'm kinda not sure how to get that set up. does the store do everything?

these questions all seem very dumb lol, but i'm hyper new to all of this and sort of bad with directions in general. so i really have no idea what to do here.

i was going to build a wedding website from scratch on Weebly (i design websites so it's nbd) but how would i connect the registry to that? might be getting ahead of myself with that question lol. 

thanks in advance!

Re: how to make a registry?

• Most stores have an easy way to create a registry either in store (go to customer service or ask a sales person) or on their website.  Yes the store does everything as far as keeping track and shipping. Think about the things you need/want, how many of each thing. You can link the stores registries on your website or list the places where you are registered. You can also spread by word of mouth where you are registered (the way it was done pre-internet). NEVER list a registry on you wedding invitations. Do not email your registry to people unless they ask.  It is perfectly acceptable to have them listed on shower invitations if someone offers to give you a shower.
  • birbmombirbmom member
    First Comment
    edited September 2021
    Thank you so much! That's good advice lol. would having it on the website be ok?

Also what happens if I have multiple stores? My fiancé really likes Target, but I want to do BedBath or Macy's. One of my friends had 3 stores for her registry and it was all condensed into one shoppinge list. Is that something I'd have to do on my own?

(sorry my typing isn't consistent, my phone has autocorrect) 
  • Yes you can definitely list your registry on your website. There are sites where you can link all your registries together - I personally don't like to use them (as a guest) because the ones I have used require me to go back to the original linking site to enter what I bought. If one just goes to a store's registry they store takes note of that. That is just my preference though. You can also have registries at more than one store. I think the 3 you mentioned are pretty common. Also Crate and Barrel or Pottery Barn are often used for dishes, glassware, silverware and serving stuff. If the couple is athletic/out doorsy a store like REI or Dick's is used. It is all personal preference.
  • ooh i see. Maybe i can ask my friend what she used since it was pretty straightforward (as in i clicked the item, put in my payment info, and it was ordered, which was really nice, but thank's for the guest perspective on that i'll keep it in mind!
  • ooh i see. Maybe i can ask my friend what she used since it was pretty straightforward (as in i clicked the item, put in my payment info, and it was ordered, which was really nice, but thank's for the guest perspective on that i'll keep it in mind!
    That is how the ones I have used worked too, but then I had to go to the main site (which had all the registries listed) to say I bought something so that it was tracked - which is a perk of a registry - fewer duplicates.
  • Just wanted to give an update to this!
    My future FIL suggested we use Amazon, and I had no idea they had a registry system! So we decided to go with them. It literally does everything for us and we just have to provide a link and pick what goes up.
  • birbmom said:
    Just wanted to give an update to this!
    My future FIL suggested we use Amazon, and I had no idea they had a registry system! So we decided to go with them. It literally does everything for us and we just have to provide a link and pick what goes up.
    Be careful with what you pick. I bought something on someones registry that was a third party (i.e. Amazon didn't fulfill the order). It wasn't complete when it was delivered and was a major hassle to get it replaced - had to go through the seller instead of Amazon. If it had been an Amazon product, Amazon would've handled it. Just something to think about.