Chit Chat

Do I invite them?? HELP!

So,... my relative (my mother), without my knowledge, reached out to my old sunday school teacher, who makes cakes now. I do love her (the teacher) and hold her dear to my heart, but would never have invited them to my VERY small, like 40 person (including us) wedding! Asking if they would make my wedding cake!?! Which I never thought my mother would do. So im a bit caught off guard anyway. And now I am conflicted about expanding the guest list to include her and her husband, that I REALLY dont want there. I would NEVER have asked her...!!!    
Please help!! What do i do???!!!

Re: Do I invite them?? HELP!

• Send her a very heartfelt card thanking her and ensure that she's paid well. 

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    So,... my relative (my mother), without my knowledge, reached out to my old sunday school teacher, who makes cakes now. I do love her (the teacher) and hold her dear to my heart, but would never have invited them to my VERY small, like 40 person (including us) wedding! Asking if they would make my wedding cake!?! Which I never thought my mother would do. So im a bit caught off guard anyway. And now I am conflicted about expanding the guest list to include her and her husband, that I REALLY dont want there. I would NEVER have asked her...!!!    
    Please help!! What do i do???!!!

Ditto Jen.  I'm lost on how asking someone to bake a cake = invitation to the wedding.  The only vendors who typically attend weddings are the caterers, band/DJ, photographer and videographer. 
  • Did your mother invite her to the wedding too? Just because she makes the cake doesn't mean she's invited, like other people have commented. Are you okay with her doing the cake even? I think it's on your mother to do the explaining to her on this one. I like the idea of a nice letter of thanks if she does end up doing the cake, but your mother should make clear to her that it's a small wedding with few guests and maybe sprinkle in the fact that you would invite her if it weren't such an intimate affair. 
  • Agreed on the above, you definitely don't need to invite her. I don't think she'll expect it either
  • Yeah. Exactly correct.
  • I think your mom is thinking about how much your cake cost would be and not just trying to invite more people to your wedding. Just let your mother know that the cake cost is not a problem and that you have only certain people that you are inviting to your wedding.