Wedding Woes

Prudie Day!

Very excited for Prudie - it's my quarterly marathon meeting day so i'll be in a conference room aaaaall day.  At least our EA orders lunch and i'm very excited for that.  G (big man, lol) slept better last night.  I think he's exploring boundaries and enjoying the freedom of his twin bed a liiiiittle too much. Ready for the crazy week to be over!

Re: Prudie Day!

• @Casadena I missed it, did G get a big boy bed? BK has one but we ended up getting great timing as she's half dropped naps {she won't nap at grandma's during the week}

So we're actually having a work xmas party this year and I'm so excited :) It's obv been awhile. Last year we just did our offices and sat separated and ate at the office - no spouses, no extras, etc - so this year being at a restaurant and with spouses is extra fun lol

Tomorrow I have a pap scheduled in the morning. I haven't had an official one since post BK birth. I did get an unofficial swab when I got my IUD but that apparently doesn't count.
    I've decided I'm going to treat myself to starbucks afterwards because uncomfy situations deserve treats lol

I think we're going to the mall on Sunday morning to do some xmas shopping & get BK a new hat and scarf. I've had to toss 2 hats in donation and I think 3rd is going tonight.
    Apparently her head grew lol!
    I'm debating between Carters or H&M because they both have what I want. Tbh I like H&M stuff better so we'll see.
  • Not too much going on over here. I’m a little worried it’s going to be a very long day at work. One of my favorite providers is working today, however they’re overbooked and they’re already a little slow to begin with and today they don’t have the usual support staff. So my hike tonight might have to be canceled. 

For some reason I woke up this morning with an ominous feeling in my gut. And then I spent the hour on the way to work compounding it. I’m trying to shake it off and be positive but I’m a little apprehensive. Usually when I get these feelings something bad happens so while rationally I’m telling myself to chill, my nervous system is heartily rioting against the logic. I’ve also been just feeling stagnant and like I need some new growth so that might not be helping this situation. 

FI and I have to decide if we want to go to a school event for him tomorrow evening. It sounds fun but also a little exhausting to drive two hours after work. A little date night would be fun though, and we could always leave the event if it’s boring. 

Happy Friday Eve, everyone! 

• @banana468 what's your party for? Not your parents anniversary, is it?
    @Casadena glad G slept better, hopefully this is the trend.
    @MissKittyDanger I have barely started my shopping list, so props to you for starting already.

Ssdd here. DS didn't nap today and it resulted in having to leave gymnastics because of meltdowns. We went to the park and he was able to run around without instructions. It was much better.
    No plans this weekend. Hopefully just sleeping in and tidying up. My friend gave me a big bag of baby clothes and now we have to think about where this child's things are going to go.
  • edited November 2021
    @missJeanLouise Lol I hate shopping after December 1st because malls are insane so I like to do it early. Plus if I have to order anything, it gives me extra time ;)
    My mum use to start after my bday {Sept 7th} but has started in summer because she checks out local things a lot lol

Btw one of BK's gymnastics group kids was like that last week. The instructors were really trying to have him interact but it seemed to be just a bad day for him. Likely his mum did the same {park}
  • G did get a big boy bed! we converted his crib right before N was born, and got him a twin bed about a month ago.  He LOVES it. 
  • Phew!  We got nine applications in yesterday.  A few of them are too incomplete or don't meet the requirements.  But the one I am really waiting for is from the roofing company I've been talking to.  They did a video walk through with my husband yesterday and seemed even more interested.  But they haven't even sent in their application!  They were supposed to have done that yesterday and Paypal me their security deposit/holding fee no later than today.

Meanwhile, I had another conversation with a similar company out of FL...they are coming into town to do hurricane work for about the next year.  He sent his application as soon as we got off the phone and said he's ready to send me the security deposit and first month's rent.  Ugh!  I wish I'd been talking to him first.  But I'm a woman of my word, so the first people have until today.  I did tell him I had one potential tenant ahead of him, but they need to follow through by today and he was definitely next in line.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Casadena said:
    G did get a big boy bed! we converted his crib right before N was born, and got him a twin bed about a month ago.  He LOVES it. 
    that makes more sense now lmao Something about littles getting a big bed, first thing they do is roll everywhere lmao!
    We have part of the nugget beside BK's bed {it's on the floor} and her fave thing to do in the morning is roll out of bed and on to the nugget lol
  • For more "people have lost their minds" stories.

I had one person message me that "I have a lot of requirements for that bad neighborhood and I'm going to have trouble finding a tenant".  WTF?

First off, it's a safe neighborhood.  It's just not a fancy one.  Low-middle to middle class demographics.

And let me tell you about my "extensive" requirements (eyeroll).
    • No violent felonies within the last 10 years
    • No court-ordered evictions
    • Verifiable gross income that is 3x the monthly rent.  This can be one person or a combination of the tenants
    • Positive reference from a current or previous landlord.
    Very, very standard stuff.  I don't even have a credit score minimum, though most other landlords do.

He had also asked if it was still available.  I reply to just about everyone, but not this guy.  Ignore and delete.  Because I'm guessing he doesn't meet one of those requirements.  Plus I don't want to rent to someone anyway who feels like he can give me negative, unsolicited advice about how I run my business in his very first contact.

-------------------------------

A little background.  NOLA just started doing eviction cases for nonpayment of rent a few weeks ago.  This was after 10+ months when they weren't doing evictions for non-payment at all.  I know it well.  I got stuck with one of those AHs.  So I'm extra paranoid right now.

Different person (two sisters).  First message was last night.  They were concerned about the positive landlord reference, because they are just starting out renting.  I reply back that I'm sympathetic if they are first-time renters, but I've been burned in the past when I've let that slide, so I'm not comfortable renting to people that don't have one.

Then the story changes slightly that they are paying rent to their BIL.  I tell them that's okay if it's their BIL and I appreciate their honesty that their landlord is a family member.

Then she tells me they need to move in, no later than Friday.  I tell her that is unfortunately too short of a notice, because it typically takes a few days for the application/background check/lease signing.  She tells me if they are not out by Nov. 5th, they will have to pay another month of rent for their current place and they can't afford to pay rent at two places.  I tell her again that is all the more reason I wouldn't want to promise them a Friday move-in, if there's a good chance it won't happen that fast.

Hmmm, doesn't that seem weird their own BIL wouldn't be more flexible about their move-out date?  And Nov. 5th.  What a weird date when their rent would be due again.

So let me translate to what I think the real story is, lol.

You can't contact our current landlord because he is evicting us.  We need to move in no later than Nov. 5th because our eviction court date is Nov. 4th (or already happened) and we'll be kicked out of our place on the 5th.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy there are a lot of tap shoes that are put on by evicted tenants. 
  • @short+sassy those are fairly standard everywhere here. I live in a mix neighborhood and people get so judgey and assume the worst because of a few places nearby.
    Across from our street is - or at least use to be, we aren't sure anymore - a low income housing street. Often group homes too. And about a block or so away from us a home for homeless people.
    Apparently a house that's been built near a small mall by us has like 8 rooms and 5 bathrooms? People got pissy it could be a group home.
    I'm like, we're close to so many schools - elementary, high school & colleges - and a lot of fast food places that hire. Who friggen cares?
  • banana468 said:
    @short+sassy there are a lot of tap shoes that are put on by evicted tenants. 
    For sure!  And of course I'm not saying all evicted tenants are bad people.  But they are more likely to be.

I know I do whatever I reasonably can if I have a tenant who is having trouble paying their rent.  Not all, but most landlords do, because it's expensive and a huge hassle to evict someone.  If there is hope to work something out, that's what I want do do.  Sometimes that works, usually it doesn't.  I have never had a tenant who had something truly bad happen to them that was out of their control.  They got evicted because they chose to get evicted, usually from making bad choices. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy those are fairly standard everywhere here. I live in a mix neighborhood and people get so judgey and assume the worst because of a few places nearby.
    Across from our street is - or at least use to be, we aren't sure anymore - a low income housing street. Often group homes too. And about a block or so away from us a home for homeless people.
    Apparently a house that's been built near a small mall by us has like 8 rooms and 5 bathrooms? People got pissy it could be a group home.
    I'm like, we're close to so many schools - elementary, high school & colleges - and a lot of fast food places that hire. Who friggen cares?
    It's not often I get to brag about NOLA, lol.  But I have to talk about this.

Before Katrina, there were public housing complexes.  Public housing are buildings that are owned by the government and rented out to low-income people.  They are usually frightening, horrible places and very high crime.  The NOLA ones were no different.

But Katrina made those complexes even more unhabitable and they were totally abandoned.  To replace them...though a negative is there are now much fewer homes...they built blocks of new houses in a few parts of town.

They're houses instead of apartments and they are GORGEOUS!  That was almost 15 years ago and those houses and blocks still look great.  I'd love to know the statistics on if this better housing improved people's lives in the long-term.  Especially what happened to the children who grew up in a nicer house and safer community.  I'd like to think they do better in school and are able to get out of that cycle when they're adults.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So preschool posted photos and i THINK we may have a visual on BK's 2 new besties vying for her attention {the boy R who thinks she's pretty and a little girl who apparently likes to hold BK's hand lol}

I'm trying to confirm R with my mum - she knows R's mom - and the little girl we just found out last week when M picked up BK so I may have him ask lol
  • We woke up to an internet outage in our area.  I had an appointment to get my new work laptop this morning, so I headed onsite.  I was hopeful our service would be back up by the time I was done at IT so I could go back home, but I dressed for working onsite if needed.  Got a text from DH right as I finished that we were back up.  So I stopped for some drive-thru breakfast and am back WFH.  Got everything connected back up but am expecting to find a few things in the next weeks I'll have to adjust.  This machine is faster so that's nice.

We have friends coming to visit on Saturday and we're headed to a Fall/Holiday Arts and Craft show.  Then back to our house for chili.  Sunday is church, football (Rodgers is out for Covid protocol!), laundry and getting ready for the work week. The weather is supposed to be nice so hoping to finish up the last of the fall things outdoors.
  • I finally finished stitching grandson's stocking this evening. Yay!! I'm giving it to a friend to sew it into the stocking (I don't have a sewing machine). She and her husband are coming over for dinner tomorrow night so I need to clean house tomorrow and fix a lasagna. This afternoon I prepped veteran's gift bags at the Y. They will be handed out next week. I also returned a sous vide cooker and container to Amazon because I found one about $100 cheaper at Costco! H had said he wanted one for Christmas so I ordered it last week. Was at Costco last night and saw the exact same on for cheaper. Not much else happening because all I've done all week is cross stitch!
  • Oh @kerbohl that sounds like a rough week. How's that pigeon? 
  • @ILoveBeachMusic, please enlighten me.  What is a sous vide cooker and it's benefits, lol?  I've seen the one you are talking about at Costco and was curious about it.

@kerbohl, I'm sorry you are having a bit of a rough week!  I hope the irrational person come to their senses and leaves you and your H alone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @kerbohl, what is a LARP?  A quick google tells me a role playing game? If that’s the case, then yeahno. 

• @ILoveBeachMusic, please enlighten me.  What is a sous vide cooker and it's benefits, lol?  I've seen the one you are talking about at Costco and was curious about it.

@kerbohl, I'm sorry you are having a bit of a rough week!  I hope the irrational person come to their senses and leaves you and your H alone.
    It cooks food that is in a vacuum sealed bag (the cook does this) under water at a constant low temperature. It is suppose to make sure food is cooked to the exact temperature. I've never used one but my H loves to cook and wants one - he has read a lot about it. Supposedly, it doesn't overcook meat not matter how long it is in the cooking water. I don't understand how that works but H does all the cooking just about so I'm getting him one. Also he is soooo hard to buy gifts for so when he says he wants something I jump on it.
  • @missJeanLouise The pigeon is doing great!  Very clingy .... it likes to jump on my head and stays then when I walk around the yard.  The bunnies seem unimpressed still though.  

@CharmedPam Yeah, exactly that - they create the scenarios and then you pay for an event, create a character, and play.  The rational is like paying for seasons tickets for a theatre, then decided you don't like it and cancelling, and the theater suing you for no longer being a paying customer.  I don't think people can sue for that.  I think he thinks we convinced other people to leave, but .... they were already leaving the game.  We were just the first ones and started the mass exodus.

• @kerbohl I had a pigeon for a minute in highschool. She was a true joy to have around.

Was the LARPing guy your DH's bff or am I remembering it wrong?
  • @kerbohl I had a pigeon for a minute in highschool. She was a true joy to have around.

Was the LARPing guy your DH's bff or am I remembering it wrong?
    Yeah, they were really good friends at the time, you are remembering correctly.