Wedding Woes
Options

Tuesday

I’m working out my last two weeks at the current company but taking my  foot off the gas a little since I know I have to wrap things up. I took my girls to the library last night for family story time. It was nice to get out of the house on a weeknight now that it’s getting colder. I also think my two year old needs the socialization, she is very shy and I want to get her out of her shell a little.

We also made the decision to purchase a truck!  Both our cars have been paid off for a little while and it has been something we have been thinking about. With all the home improvement projects in our future it will be so nice to not have to rely on borrowing my FIL’s truck every time! I will be taking over my H’s car because it has proven to be aging better than mine. I was teasing H that I should be the one getting the new car though since I just got the raise. He absolutely would be okay with that but I really don’t care much what I drive and a truck would be too big for me to want to drive all the time so this is just what makes sense for our family.

I have to humble-brag for a moment. I will be making more than my H for the first time in our relationship! He had a head start and already had his career when we first met and I was still going to school and working retail. I worked really hard for a long time and it finally feels like that is paying off! Just having a girl boss moment and hoping I can help pave the way for my girls and the next generation.

Re: Tuesday

• Options
    @Jstump2 all exciting! :)
    My literal goal is life is to make more than M but I say this with great difficulty, it's not doable with our jobs lol His job is high paying and he makes 2x more than me lol
    Obv don't need details, but what do you and your H do?
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger I get that! Obviously it's not a competition but...it does feel good. Lol My H is in law enforcement (more the administrative side now) and I am in procurement for the industrial field.
  • Options
    We ended up covid testing BK on Saturday - negative of course - so once we got the results, SFIL and MIL said to bring her over for a bit {a few times last week she was suppose to go and it didn't work out}
    She was coughing, but it wasn't running her down. M & I did some xmas shopping without her, which was so nice to not worry about her grabbing shit lol

We picked her up and she didn't wanna nap, so we put on a movie for some quiet time. She fell asleep on the couch.
    And then things took a turn.

When BK woke up, she was quite warm.
    We took of her shirt - she sometimes runs warm in her sleep and she was right by me - but after a bit when she shows signs of cooling off, she wasn't.
    Fever.
    Motrin in juice, and she had it. Temp down but gave her bath with some eucalyptus bubbles to help her cough.
    Fine.

6:30am she wakes up scream-crying!
    I rush in, because this doesn't sound like nightmare.
    I sit with her, and she's warm. I try to lie her down and say I'll like down with her but she just cries every time I try.
    M comes in to see what's happening. We all lie down - BK on my chest while I lie on the nugget, M on her bed.
    She settles but restless. M reaches over and feels how warm she is, so we give up and go downstairs.
    M strips her top off to let her cool a bit before taking temp. Doesn't work and it's high 37 on one side, low 38 on the other.
    She won't drink the motrin-juice, she's inconsolable.

We have negative covid test, so we decide to take BK to emergency to make sure it's nothing serious.

Of course, Monday was M's first day at new job so he couldn't go.
    I texted my boss and she said not to worry. Even though I have zero days this year, she'd take one from next year.
    BK did well. Got stickers.
    She got meds to reduce fever. Lungs clear.
    Dr confirmed just virus.

Unfortunately littles do not know to sit up when coughing, so she did puke on her pillow last night. Easy fix.

She woke up in such a better mood today. My mum got her hours cut today so she could watch her. BK is still tired, so she's resting but so much better.
    I think she's going to preschool tomorrow. I do have to sign a waiver because she's been sick but has negative test.
  • Options
    @Jstump2 Oh that makes sense! M is software dev - highly paid job and he now has 10 years experience so that benefits him. I'm in the insolvency field and can make more money as I go "up the ladder" but he'll probably make more than me always because of his field.
    I joke that he now makes enough that I could retire ;) 
  • Options
    @Jstump2, I hate driving larger vehicles, which I feel like is an UO compared to most people.  Sometimes it feels like everyone owns an SUV, lol.  My H and I finally bit the bullet a few years ago and got a used truck.  But it's a single cab, small one and I love it that way.  I was thankful to find it, plus it was right in the price range I wanted to pay.  Most trucks on the road are much larger than mine.  Some of them were a "double whammy" of being the same length as my truck, but that's because there was a shorter bed and a double cab.  Noooo!!!  I do not need extra seats.

It originally came with a shell top, which was incredibly convenient for grocery shopping or any other errand of buying a lot of stuff.  But I always felt like I had blind spots and am more comfortable driving without it.  We took it off and left it in the driveway of one of our rental houses that we haven't been renting for a couple years (that's a long story).  BUT, we are putting that house back up for rent next month, so I'll probably need to put that top back on my truck.

Yay girl boss moment!  We are paving the way for the women of tomorrow to have more and better opportunities.  We can also thank the previous generation for starting to clear the paths.

Going a little off tangent.  I leverage debt with loans and credit to build my real estate portfolio.  It is sad and astounding to me that, until the 1974 Equal Credit Opportunity Act...which didn't go into effect until Oct. 1975...women didn't even have the right to obtain credit cards or loans in their own name.

October of 1975.  That is in my lifetime!  Though barely.  My husband is ten years older than me and he remembers growing up that all his mom's credit cards were only in his father's name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jstump2Jstump2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2021
    @short+sassy Ours is going to be a double cab and longer bed (chevy colorado) since we need to fit the kids and haul all kinds of  stuff. H used to drive a silverado (single cab) (he had to get rid of it when I got pregnant) and I felt like I was taking up the whole road when I would drive it, lol. My H is already shopping for the shell top for that purpose.

You are so right! I can't imagine growing up in those times and having to be so reliant on a man for everything. 
  • Options
    @Jstump2 that is amazing! Kudos to you! 
    @short+sassy I had no idea about that equal credit act.  That wasn’t too too far back
    @MissKittyDanger that sounds like an awful night.  Glad she’s on the mend. So hard to watch sick kids. 
    @banana468 that is an amazing show.  You will all have fun!

Last night I went on a date with someone I met on hinge.  Not our first.  Not our second.  It was our third.  I don’t know where things are going, but i like the direction we’re headed lol.  Anyway, he doesn’t fit who I normally date.  I like the bigger, taller nerdy men.  He is a tad shorter than me and there’s a big weight difference between us.  We brought up our height difference but haven’t brought up how much bigger I am overall.  I’m a little self conscious about it.  Tell me stories of people you know in this situation and tell me not to worry about it. LOL.  Also, does anyone know if hinge still matches people by facebook friends of friends? They did in 2005 but since Facebook came out with its own dating app I thought maybe they stopped that?  If they’re still doing that, I have narrowed it down to who I think our mutial connection is.  

• Options
    @Jstump2 that is amazing! Kudos to you! 
    @short+sassy I had no idea about that equal credit act.  That wasn’t too too far back
    @MissKittyDanger that sounds like an awful night.  Glad she’s on the mend. So hard to watch sick kids. 
    @banana468 that is an amazing show.  You will all have fun!

Last night I went on a date with someone I met on hinge.  Not our first.  Not our second.  It was our third.  I don’t know where things are going, but i like the direction we’re headed lol.  Anyway, he doesn’t fit who I normally date.  I like the bigger, taller nerdy men.  He is a tad shorter than me and there’s a big weight difference between us.  We brought up our height difference but haven’t brought up how much bigger I am overall.  I’m a little self conscious about it.  Tell me stories of people you know in this situation and tell me not to worry about it. LOL.  Also, does anyone know if hinge still matches people by facebook friends of friends? They did in 2005 but since Facebook came out with its own dating app I thought maybe they stopped that?  If they’re still doing that, I have narrowed it down to who I think our mutial connection is.  
    I call Tulsa small wee man and his nickname in my phone is Hobbit.  He leans into it; there is another performer his size and when they perform together, they call themselves "snack pack", which cracks me up.  I'm not sure if he even breaks 5' and he wears kids clothes sizes most of the time (which is one thing he hates b/c :kids don't have great fashion").  It's fine and doesn't bother me at all  most of the time (although I did make a comment about only hugging him from the side and he laughed.  His head is right in my boobs if I hug him from the front).
  • Options
    @short+sassy we have an SUV but if I'm getting my own car, it will be small. My only preference is hatch back. But you're right, everyone has a friggen SUV lol

@CharmedPam She's still not 100% but she's trying to be her normal self. My mum keeps pulling her back from getting too crazy lol We aren't pushing it, but she basically eating whatever she wants. Dr even said if she doesn't eat, it's fine. Just push fluids.

Btw your type you described is basically M lmao! {he's 5'10" and a heavier build .... giant nerd}

@VarunaTT Oh is he a pocket male? Lmao {term I saw on tiktok}
  • Options
    Long work rant.

I am feeling a little salty this morning.  There are a number of weekly reports I send out.  The client, I'll call them Acme, recently requested a revamp of one of them, that involved splitting one report into two.  Long story short, there isn't that much going on with the activity on either of those reports.  One because it is old and almost completed, the other because it is pretty new.  Hence the split, which did make sense.

He (client employee/project manager) sent a "reply all" this morning with a lot of questions but the main comment that bristled me was something about he wants to "go back to when these reports included XYZ information".  Those reports DO include XYZ information.  I actually spend a good bit of time each week keeping these reports updated.  But when it is new projects without much information then, yeah, there are a lot of blank spots.

The rest of his questions had to do with deliveries to Site "that should have arrived a long time ago, so can I check on that".  Yes.  They probably did arrive a long time ago.  But I only have access to information Acme provides on a particular website.  I'm sorry Acme SUCKS at maintaining their in-receipt delivery records.  But they do.

To find better information about Site deliveries, I have to get in touch with a client department I normally don't work with called "Materials Handling".  Which is fine.  But, unless it's requested, I don't normally do that.

I was actually planning on sending those two reports out today but now that he's thrown a lot of extra work at me, including needing to wait for a response from Materials Handling, I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to send them.

For context, he's a good person to work with and it wasn't a mean or "you're not doing your job right" e-mail.  Though I personally felt a little bit of that last part, even though I know it is only in my head.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @climbingsingle, I'm glad the surgery went well for your dog!

@MissKittyDanger, I'm sorry to hear BK was feeling so bad.  I'm glad she is doing better, but I'm sure it was tough on you and M also not getting much sleep.  I hope his first day went well.

@Jstump2, what a coincidence especially after my work rant, lol.  I'm in procurement also.  For an engineering firm, though the client I work for is in the mining industry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @CharmedPam two high school acquaintances were dating back then and are still happily together now...she's got a good 4" on him
    @MissKittyDanger yikes poor baby...glad she is on mend now
    @climbingsingle glad your pup's surgery went alright
    @banana468 that sounds really nice...I'd like to take my kids one year.  Restaurant recs your kids would probably like (I know you didn't ask lol)- Virgil's BBQ, Black Tap Burgers, John's Pizza (yes the Times Sq location...all three are very cliche but my kids have dined in all three (pre-pandemic) and enjoyed

I'm pretty busy after work this week which I hate...just one of those weeks but ugh.  No complaints at work, just feeling put out that my evenings are jam-packed today, tomorrow and Thurs.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Hopefully this doesn't kill your pages - if someone can send me the thing to hide these ...

At hospital waiting on dr {wire is heart monitor - finger too tiny for sensor}

BK 90% of the day yesterday

She got stickers :) I was trying to show M the one on her hand lol

Resting at grandma's with stuffed cat
  • Options
    Good afternoon.  

DefConn gets shot #1 this evening.  Woohoo!  I need to book my booster. 

We went to dinner at our friend's last night.  It was so nice to have someone else cook for me, even though I do love cooking.   

SIL's family lost their doggo suddenly yesterday.  I think she was struggling with seizures, and they thought it was under control.  :(  She was the best dog and such a sweetheart. 

SSDD otherwise.  
  • Options

@Jstump2, what a coincidence especially after my work rant, lol.  I'm in procurement also.  For an engineering firm, though the client I work for is in the mining industry.
    I didn't realize so many of us work in procurement! Although I'm on the food industry side. 
  • Options
    Jstump2 said:
    I went to school for journalism, quickly realized that's not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life (long hours, little pay). I graduated during a recession and was desperate for a full time job with benefits. I got placed by a temp agency in customer service for a fastener company. I got promoted and eventually moved up into purchasing/sourcing. 
    So funny - I have a similar story. I got a job at a fastener company in NJ during college. Started in accounting, moved to customer service, and then eventually purchasing. I liked purchasing the most so I stuck with it. 
  • Options
    @climbingsingle, Glad she's out and doing well, and looking forward to you being able to pick her up tomorrow. They heal so much faster with their pet moms. 

@CharmedPam, Not really extreme, but I'm 6'1 and H is 5'10, and I'm definitely chubbier than he is. (Not that there's any justice in that. I can have salad while he eats a pizza and I'm the one who gains weight.) 

I'm having a great Tuesday! I'm in a little bit of a down place in my current project (which is giving me a crash course in procurement, although that is not my area). It's 68 degrees out, so I took a long lunch and went for a hike with my sister. I've also managed to get some of the annoying bullshit off my desk, so I'm pretty happy. 
  • Options
    Thank you @ei34.  I'm leaning towards a place w/ Italian because Chiquito is picky and that's a pleaser.  I'm fine with tourist area since that cuts down on walking.  Our plan is to drive in and park and then drive home.  It will likely be a break-even cost since the kids are free on Metro North but the added freedom is a bonus especially since we won't have to contend w/ pandemic trains. 

When it comes to cars, we are going to be a minivan family for a long time.  As we're now the sandwich generation we need a people mover and the minivan is really the best value for space and easy access for all ages.  

DH has a station wagon and it's the last model Buick sold.  I know he'd always love one and I don't know what we'll do if the current trend to SUV continues.  We will never drive sedans and he prefers something that is car-based and lower to the ground for handling.  That will mean going w/ a BMW or Merc wagon if the US manufacturers continue to remove their wagons from the market. 

• Options
    Thanks everyone! Yeah it wasnt really for the height, but the weight difference.  He’s very thin. I’m a lot more in poundage but I did get the tummy tuck/skin removal so that helps me hide some of it, I just know I weigh a lot more.  I’m going to go look at “love is blind” videos on youtube where they depict opposites in couples.  Or - maybe I’m worrying about nothing and he’s done with me already?

@climbingsingle so glad it went well and you’ll get her back tomorrow!
    @MissKittyDanger she is absolutely precious, even when sick 

• Options
    edited November 2021
    @CharmedPam she is very clingy to me when sick.
    Also when it comes to weight, I did date a guy who was very thin naturally and although I'm not fat, it made me heavier.
    I've seen a lot of couples with varying weights and honestly, I think it doesn't matter {there's a lot of jokes on tiktok about guys wanting to die by a girl sitting on their face BUT THAT IS A SEPARATE THING lol}
  • Options
    @CharmedPam years ago I dated a guy who was tall and super thin (like 6' or maybe a little taller and 135-140lbs) and I'm 5'4" and weighed more than him and it was more noticeable since I am short. I felt self conscious about it although he never acted like anything was wrong but it definitely made me feel strange. I do feel like someone who is naturally thin like that is probably often going to weigh less than a partner.
  • Options
    Jstump2 said:
    I went to school for journalism, quickly realized that's not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life (long hours, little pay). I graduated during a recession and was desperate for a full time job with benefits. I got placed by a temp agency in customer service for a fastener company. I got promoted and eventually moved up into purchasing/sourcing. 
    So funny - I have a similar story. I got a job at a fastener company in NJ during college. Started in accounting, moved to customer service, and then eventually purchasing. I liked purchasing the most so I stuck with it. 
    I had remembered you were in procurement also, @climbingsingle!

But that is wild that both yourself and @Jstump2 started with fastener companies.

My background is a little more "typical".  I majored in business.  

The "engineering" stint of my career started 14 years ago.  I started in admin support at one company.  Started as temp-to-perm with an agency.  Got "promoted" to do admin support for the procurement department, with the plan being I would eventually be promoted into a procurement role in that department.  But then the bottom dropped out of oil in 2008 and I was laid off.

Got a job less than two weeks later for another engineering firm.  Admin/project support.  Though ordering office supplies was about my only "procurement" duty, lol.  Got laid off two years later when the project* ended.  Was unemployed for one year because the local economy was dismal at that time.

Then started working for this engineering company.  Who were sub-contractors from the previous company I worked for.  That was actually my "in" for here.  I was hired directly for the procurement department, though my role has expanded since then.  Been here now for 9 years!

------------------------

*I was super excited earlier this week.  I had taped a documentary about 10 Modern Marvels that have shaped the US.  Turns out in the intro, they were specifically talking about civil engineering projects.  One of the 10 projects they talked about was the one I worked on for that second company!  It was massive flood gates that were built for NOLA after Hurricane Katrina.  They interviewed one of the head guys for the Army Corps. of Engineers.  I turned to my H and said, "I know him!  His office was down the hall from mine."  Lol.  As an aside, I didn't directly work for the Corps. That was the client for the company I worked for. 

It was the largest build-design project the Corps. has ever done.  "Build-design" means that construction starts while the structure is still being designed.  Normally, most/all engineering is done before construction starts.  It makes more sense to do it that way because, otherwise, you're more likely to find last minute problems/tweaks in the design as it's getting built.  But that's also a much slower way to do it.

This was a 10-15 year project that was designed, built, and operational in only 3 years!  I know I was only a teeny-tiny part.  But I am proud to have been a part of it.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker