Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

I am FOB my daughter asked me to wear my Dress Blues

So this morning my daughter just asked me if I would give her away in my dress blues. I have been out of the Corps for twenty years. Regulations say for a family wedding I can but no one else will be in uniform. The groom wants me in blues  too. Any thoughts. Please. 

Re: I am FOB my daughter asked me to wear my Dress Blues

• Options
    So this morning my daughter just asked me if I would give her away in my dress blues. I have been out of the Corps for twenty years. Regulations say for a family wedding I can but no one else will be in uniform. The groom wants me in blues  too. Any thoughts. Please. 
     It is lovely that she is proud of your service. She can ask but you can decline if you are not comfortable wearing them.  Did she give any explanation as to why she made this request?  It is absolutely OK to thank her for the suggestion but decline.

• Options
    My Dad is retired Air Force and he wore his dress uniform for my wedding. He was the only one in his dress blues but he didn’t mind- I thought it was lovely and he was proud I asked him to wear them. 

Ultimately it’s up to you. If you’d prefer a suit or tux that’s fine- just tell her you’d prefer to wear something else. 
  • Options
    As the PP mentioned, it depends on your comfort level.  Have you considered wearing your Blues for the ceremony then changing for the reception into a suit or vest that you can be more relaxed in?  That might be an option..
  • Options
    It is ultimately up to you. I wish I had thought to ask my Dad (retired Navy) to wear his dress blues for my wedding!
  • Options
    I think my dad has his old dress uniform from the Air Force, but it wouldn't fit him anymore. He wore it to his own wedding to my mom (he actually couldn't have afforded even to rent a nice suit). He wore a tux to my brother's wedding.

It's up to you whether you wear yours to your daughter's wedding.
  • Options
    That's awesome. But it is up to you. I miss my dad. He was in 3 branches of military. Thanks for your service.