Wedding Woes

Day of Humps

I'm in a sort of weird place, some good mixed with some not great.  Not new bad stuff, more of the same, so I'm at least used to it. 
Hope everyone is feeling okay - healthy and healing vibes @VarunaTT, @levioosa...am I missing others from the ever-growing Covid crew?

Re: Day of Humps

• I've described the current feeling of Covid that I'm in a highway and trying to bob in and out of traffic at full speed.

I have some meetings today and need to get some project stuff done.  I did have a successful weeknight meal last night so I'll call that a small victory when I try something and it pleases at least two if not the 3 additional eaters. 
  • I have ignored the request for half days from work, but got another text this morning. I'm debating on answering at all since I already said I won't be in. I don't consider this a negotiation. Scheduled my updated covid test for today since my energy level feels decent.  That'll give me my negative result and I haven't been running fevers when I've checked. I'm not going to provide it to work until Sunday though. 

Otherwise, SSDD. I made some easy yummy frozen treats yesterday. I'm going to try making a carrot cake today. Using up overripe bananas and giving myself something enjoyable to eat. Learning to bake vegan desserts is interesting. Still all the food science, just really different elements to it.

This is the first morning I haven't woken up completely congested, so feel like that's that's good sign.  
  • @VarunaTT, ugh, what part of "doctor's note says I can't return to work until Tuesday" do they not understand?  It sounds like you haven't even been feeling well enough to work from home, but then that's also their own fault they won't even give you that option.  I hope you continue to start feeling better.

I've become newly obsessed with the idea of retiring onto a cruise ship.  I need to figure out how to make a LOT more money to do that, lmao.  I found a ship like that yesterday.  It takes 3.5 years to circumnavigate the globe, but stops at all kinds of ports for 3-5 days each.  Housekeeping, laundry, and all food (cooked for you) included.  They also have a large "residents' kitchen" where you can cook your own food if you want to.  And then they do the clean up!  Heck, yeah.  The $2M purchase price for a small one-bedroom outside cabin with a balcony isn't the worst part.  That can be financed, though I'm not entirely sure by who (hmmm, maybe the company that owns the ship).  It's the $90K/year all-inclusive fee for two people that's really rough!

The traveling would be amazing, of course.  But I'm almost more excited that all the mundane tasks I don't like, especially cooking, would disappear.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're hanging in there (barely).  Everyone had/has COVID.  H and I are still not feeling well even though it's been a week, I'm sure it's because we're not sleeping enough to really catch up.  I ended up applying for ST disability leave at the recommendation of my HR rep.  H is insanely busy and behind at work right now.  My 2 year old is being sustained with donuts and screen time.  Baby is happy after a few days of feeling yucky.  The only positive is that kiddos do t have to quarantine for 90 days after a positive test so even if there's another case at school they can still go.  Thank God.  I've said it before but I am not stay at home mom material.  It is infinitely harder than doing my outside job.  

I haven't caught up on any other posts but it sounds like covid is making the rounds and I hope everyone is feeling ok!
  • I'm feeling very blah today. Thankfully I get to WFH tomorrow and Friday. We're still doing the rotating schedule into next week as well. And then next weekend we have our online Zoom office "party". Insert eyeroll. 
  • Boo to all the Covid!  I'm sorry you're not feeling better after a week @casadena.  That sucks.  Don't you wish you could send gifs or memes in response to their texts, @VarunaTT?  LOL

I just rolled my eyes at a cop, so that's how my morning is going.  Ha.  Some nosy busybody called on DefConn's dirt bike.  We live on an acre+ on a county rd, but back up to a McMansion neighborhood.  Apparently, someone called the HOA about him and saying he was riding through people's yards. He wasn't, but DH did let him go down the sidewalk a week ago (we have a long, wide sidewalk out front of our house) when it was clear and DH was watching him.  Apparently some lady wasn't having it.  I've told DH I'm not cool with him riding outside our property, due to safety and because of exactly this bullshit. Now my foot is firmly down about it because I don't need the cops showing up again.   We all have better things to do.  

Other than that, SSDD.  Trying to focus on work and not the 1000 other things ping-ponging around in my mind. 
  • @casadena at first I read that as thinking you had to quarantine for 90 days and I was like OMG but now I realize what you actually meant.  I'm kind of annoyed with my daycare because for the school age kids there can be shorter quarantines if they had covid or if vaccinated - just have to mask - but for daycare they dont want kids to have to wear a mask so if there's an exposure they quarantine.  He barely missed the kindergarten cutoff by a few months and I'd be totally fine with him wearing a mask at school if needed. Not to mention if all the kids are there is much more chance they keep them on 

ok sorry I derailed your post :) 
  • @short+sassy  while I've never been on a cruise before, that idea of the trip around the world sounds really cool!  
  • Everything about that story is obnoxious @mrsconn23
    That cruise sounds really interesting @short+sassy!
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2022
    Drat and curses!  We had a plumber out at one of our rental properties.  We thought we knew what the repair was that was needed and would be in the neighborhood of $300.

But no.  We were so, so wrong.  There's a broken pipe.  Under the concrete slab (big sigh).  $5500 quote.  So much suckage.  Because it's such a large repair, we'd like to get a couple more quotes and my H is working on that today.  But time is also of the essence because we have tenants living in that unit.  They can use the water just fine, but it affects draining the bathtub/shower.  It at least still drains, but takes a really long time.

On paper, I roughly estimate 5% of total rent will go to capital expenditures (big ticket repairs like this) and 5% for repairs (small stuff, like replacing a faucet or toilet).  I bought this duplex August 2016 and starting rent it out in March/April 2017.  This is the only capital expenditure we've had since we rehabbed it.  So at least that Capex is about right on target for my long term estimate.  A small comfort.  We are way under our expected small/medium repairs for that same time frame (knock on wood).  Partially due to we've had the same tenants for both units this whole time.  As such, we haven't had the small repairs that are common at turnovers and both of those tenants have always been good about only contacting us for repairs on legit, necessary stuff. 

Updated:  Small, very small good news.  When my H spoke to other plumbing companies, they were able to give rough estimates over the phone.  All of them sounded like they would be at least as much, if not more.  So he's calling back the first company to take care of it.  From talking to the plumber he met with today, they can get started in the next 1-2 days.  The plumbing part, including all the excavation will take another 1-2 days to complete.  Then it will be another day or so to fill the soil back in.  Our quote does include that $300ish repair we already knew about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @kvruns and @ei34, people who own the cabins can also rent them amount.  On the "finance" page, you could play with the numbers.  And enter the amount of months you would personally live on the ship and the amount of months you would want to rent your cabin out.  I was a little surprised that what it could be rented out for did not even cover the the monthly "all inclusive fee".

Which then got me thinking.  "Could I do this the other way around?"  Rent someone else's cabin for months at a time?  Even if we were paying the full "all inclusive" monthly fee, that would still be a way cheaper way to do it and have more flexibility.

Because that was the other concern I would have.  It sounds divine to be on a perpetual vacation for the rest of my life.  But maybe it would eventually get boring for your home to be a ship?  No matter how luxurious it is and all the amenities it has and all the places you would go.  My "home base" would still be limited to the ship and what is on it.  And my tiny 327 sq ft cabin, lol.  They actually have a wide variety of different-sized cabins.  I think even up to  4 bedrooms and 1700 sq ft.  But we don't even want to talk about those numbers, lol.  They are exponentially more expensive both to buy and the monthly fees.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh about the repairs @short+sassy. That cruise sounds super cool though. 

That’s annoying @mrsconn23. I could see talking to you guys if he was doing it all the time, but once? That’s just dumb. 

I hope everyone feels better @Casadena

My manager told me to stay home until Monday. I’d rather (really but not really, lol) go to work on Friday. I don’t feel up to going today and I think tomorrow will be the last recovery day I’ll really need and I’d like to make sure I have two better days in a row before going back. I feel bad to take off the whole week. Originally I was supposed to go back tomorrow. I’m still symptomatic to the point where I feel like a rapid migggght still come back positive today or tomorrow. I’m also fighting what I can tell is either atalectasis or fluid in the bottom lobe of my right lung. Of course I left both stethoscopes at work when I left last Friday so I can’t tell for sure. 🙄 When I wake up in the middle of the night and in the morning, or when I lay down too long I can feel it when I try to breathe deep. So I’m trying to balance activity and deep breathing exercises with rest. But work wise I think I would be okay Friday.

Today is the first day I woke up with some energy and I think it’s the first day I didn’t have a fever in the middle of the night because I didn’t wake up clammy or super hot. My resting heart rate is also looking back to normal. It was in the 80s to 90s at rest when I first got sick. Now it’s back down to 50-60. Jury is out on aerobic exercise, which I’ve been babying. I’m just ready to get into a normal routine. Also being at home makes me suuuuper snacky. Like where was the side effect from being sick where I lost my appetite? That would have been welcome instead of wanting to eat fifteen Twix bars. 

• @levioosa, although I didn't feel sick with whatever was going on last week, I was insatiably hungry over the weekend.  Which seems to often happen to me for the first couple days after I'm coming out of being sick.  I'm glad we were low on readymade junk food, lol.  I ate a lot of cashews and peanut butter toast instead.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My dance competition just got cancelled due to Covid. I think they just mustn’t have gotten enough entries. Pretty bummed about it.  
  • OH no @STARMOON44!  Are there any others down the line this year you can try to enter or is it a once a year kind of thing? 
  • I’m sorry @STARMOON44. Covid is the pits. 

• mrsconn23 said:
    OH no @STARMOON44!  Are there any others down the line this year you can try to enter or is it a once a year kind of thing? 
    Fortunately there are. There’s one in Connecticut in March I wasn’t planning on doing but could, and two over the summer that are also local. People fly all over for these but I don’t because of the cost. So it’s a solid bummer but could be much worse. 

And tonight I’m having cookies because I’ve been super focused on losing weight all month for this comp! 
  • Well, just took a rapid test and I'm still testing positive, so I don't think I can go back to work tomorrow anyway   Have a call into my doctor to get some guidance.  I don't really know what the policies are at this point.  Blerg.

Sorry about the dance competition, @STARMOON44.  That's disappointing.

I'm about to send a man friend to do a pickup at MIchael's for me. I'm out of the glue I need to keep working on my models and I'm bored out of my mind again.
  • @mrsconn23, that’s so petty of her. 
    @VarunaTT.  sorrynotsorry, can’t come in.  I’m also having craft stuff sent to me so I’m not bored out of my mind at home!
    @Casadena, hope those symptoms clear up quickly for all
    @STARMOON44, I’m sorry.  That sucks.  Have a few cookies for me too
    @short+sassy, there’s always one thing after an another, huh?  My exH wanted to do that retirement cruise. And while I love me some cruises, that length of one might get me. I have a 9 or 10 day coming up, my longest being 7… so I’m slowly making my way up to retirement lengths lol.

SSDD.  I was SO bored and sleepy this morning I was literally falling asleep at my desk. But somone one was on a video conference call with me in the background, so I had to do all I could to make it appear I was busy staring at my screen.  I was not.  I was sleeping.  But the afternoon geared up a bit. When I have actual work to do, I’m less prone to sleeping at my desk.