July 2012 Weddings
Options

50 shades... sorry if this is a repost... thought I already put it up.

I totally get the "poor" writing that everyone is talking about... I mean how many times can someone really "press their lips in a hard line" without it getting old? Or the “apex” of her thighs... I totally get it the lady could've used a thesaurus in her writing. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline. I felt the characters were deep and even though predictable in some moments they were unpredictable in others. I’m no casual reader either and I usually catch poor writing but I felt the story overrode the repetitive writing.

Re: 50 shades... sorry if this is a repost... thought I already put it up.

• Options
    I haven't read it because the writing would drive me insane.  And I've heard that it's twilight with sex.

Glad you enjoyed it though!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    I don't find the characters even remotely deep.  They're both incredibly shallow - oh, so he was abused as a kid?  That doesn't add depth, it adds back story.  They're just not sympathetic, and I dislike them both.

Other than that, meh.... it's a beach read. 

Anniversary

• Options
    So far so good...but I agree with the writing....I'm on the second book right now. 
  • Options
    I only read the first one.  H was grossed out when he looked over at my book pages and saw things like genital clamps.  It was okay, but I don't know if I'll read the other 2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    I read all three and didn't really get the big stink about them. Yes, they were good beach reads, but I didn't get attached to the characters like I do in other books. The book was the same thing over and over again. And I was honestly a bit scared everytime Anastasia did something 'wrong.' Haha.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_50-shades-sorry-if-this-is-a-repost-thought-i-already-put-it-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:c17b58e6-84dc-4ef0-96a5-34f1087e5d90Post:f3071c00-72f5-4edb-9095-22d24debddbe">Re: 50 shades... sorry if this is a repost... thought I already put it up.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read all three and didn't really get the big stink about them. Yes, they were good beach reads, but I didn't get attached to the characters like I do in other books. The book was the same thing over and over again. <strong>And I was honestly a bit scared everytime Anastasia did something 'wrong.' </strong>Haha.
    Posted by mbody[/QUOTE]

<div>This for sure. I thought the books were okay, but its not necessarily something I would read over and over.</div>
  • Options
    I'm trying to get through the first book. The writing it just awful. Ana graduates with a degree in Literature but all she can say is Inner Goddnes and Holy *&^$ over and over again.

Christian is stalkerish and Ana is an idiot.

Maybe it's because I don't have a submissive bone in my body but I'm constantly rolling my eyes as i turn the pages.

I love to read but last night I thought watching Raiders of the Lost Ark for the 5,000 times was a better idea then turning another page in 50 Shades.

191 Invited image 164 Are ready to party!! image 27 Are missing out image 0 Are making me wait imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I read all 3 and actually really loved them. Yes, the writing was subpar but I couldn't put the books down. I got really attached to the characters and thought the storyline was intriguing. After finishing all 3 I found myself still thinking about the characters and can't wait until the movie comes out (though I don't know how accurately it will be portrayed). I have never read or watched any of the Twilight books/movies and don't have any interest in doing so--so I can't compare.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_50-shades-sorry-if-this-is-a-repost-thought-i-already-put-it-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:c17b58e6-84dc-4ef0-96a5-34f1087e5d90Post:cea9e946-b9d1-4b38-adfa-b659e7f5202d">Re: 50 shades... sorry if this is a repost... thought I already put it up.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't read it because the writing would drive me insane.  <strong>And I've heard that it's twilight with sex. </strong>Glad you enjoyed it though!
    Posted by honeybear072012[/QUOTE]

This is the same thing I was told before I started reading. My friend and I were talking about how the lady who wrote them probably saw Twilight and wrote the books on the characters.
  • Options
    ILoveToRobotILoveToRobot member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_50-shades-sorry-if-this-is-a-repost-thought-i-already-put-it-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:c17b58e6-84dc-4ef0-96a5-34f1087e5d90Post:b48bcbd8-73ce-4e34-9965-b5558e319cff">Re: 50 shades... sorry if this is a repost... thought I already put it up.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't find the characters even remotely deep.  They're both incredibly shallow - oh, so he was abused as a kid?  That doesn't add depth, it adds back story.  <strong>They're just not sympathetic,</strong> and I dislike them both. Other than that, meh.... it's a beach read. 
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

I don't find the abuse as depth, I find their interactions and "growth" through the books as depth. I love to read and have yet to find books that have pulled me in like they have. I've never been caught wondering after putting a page, chapter or book down what was going on with the characters. I felt as almost I knew them.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_50-shades-sorry-if-this-is-a-repost-thought-i-already-put-it-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:c17b58e6-84dc-4ef0-96a5-34f1087e5d90Post:d56540d3-b935-42a0-8e32-e9d67acbed50">Re: 50 shades... sorry if this is a repost... thought I already put it up.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only read the first one.  <strong>H was grossed out when he looked over at my book pages and saw things like genital clamps.  It was okay, but I don't know if I'll read the other 2</strong>
    Posted by AllyG303[/QUOTE]

The 2nd two are much more emotionally involved and much less sexual in that way.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_50-shades-sorry-if-this-is-a-repost-thought-i-already-put-it-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:c17b58e6-84dc-4ef0-96a5-34f1087e5d90Post:f3071c00-72f5-4edb-9095-22d24debddbe">Re: 50 shades... sorry if this is a repost... thought I already put it up.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read all three and didn't really get the big stink about them. Yes, they were good beach reads,<strong> but I didn't get attached to the characters like I do in other books. The book was the same thing over and over again. And I was honestly a bit scared everytime Anastasia did something 'wrong.' Haha.</strong>
    Posted by mbody[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with the over and over and over and over argument. The author definitely needed some more imagination but it was her first novel and for that I commend her for having such a hit. That said, I know what you mean about Ana getting "in trouble". I felt the same way but it was always consensual and I thought somewhat sensual/erotic. To each their own : )
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_50-shades-sorry-if-this-is-a-repost-thought-i-already-put-it-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:c17b58e6-84dc-4ef0-96a5-34f1087e5d90Post:613e9198-d32a-41ae-9834-773a0c9fcdfd">Re: 50 shades... sorry if this is a repost... thought I already put it up.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read all 3 and actually really loved them. Yes, the writing was subpar but I couldn't put the books down. I got really attached to the characters and thought the storyline was intriguing. After finishing all 3 I found myself still thinking about the characters <strong>and can't wait until the movie comes out </strong>(though I don't know how accurately it will be portrayed). I have never read or watched any of the Twilight books/movies and don't have any interest in doing so--so I can't compare.
    Posted by Amanda1443994[/QUOTE]

I'm actually not looking forward to these! I can't help but think they'll be more than dissapointing! I want her to write the books in Christians view.
  • Options
    I just finished book 2 of 3 and the 2nd one is slightly better than book 1.  At least she (the author) found a few more descriptive words. 
    I know it's just a story but the characters are soooo far fetched it's not even remotely believable.

Here's a great blog about book 1

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

and about book 2

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/341907930
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_50-shades-sorry-if-this-is-a-repost-thought-i-already-put-it-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:c17b58e6-84dc-4ef0-96a5-34f1087e5d90Post:b48bcbd8-73ce-4e34-9965-b5558e319cff">Re: 50 shades... sorry if this is a repost... thought I already put it up.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't find the characters even remotely deep.  They're both incredibly shallow - oh, so he was abused as a kid?  That doesn't add depth, it adds back story.  They're just not sympathetic, and I dislike them both. Other than that, meh.... it's a beach read. 
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>AMEN! </div><div>
    </div><div>so to everyone Here is my threroy, I understand this may or may not apply to you and you may or not agree with this: 1. If you have only had 1 or 2 sexual partners and arent very educated on what else is out there besides "vanilla" sex this is going to blow your mind! Otherwise.. Not so much. I feel like the sex could have been BETTER DIRTIER SEXIER. 2. Anna is way to damn innocent for her own good. I cant stand that at all. Its almost like she doesnt have common sense to the real world. and Gray I need more then he was abused, I need more than he was seduced. Tell me MORE about the person other then basic facts. 3. If i read pressed his lips, collasped on top of me, or even annas "eh" noise or whatever it is she does one more time I was going to lose it! I would fall asleep to this book thats how UNINTERESTING it was for myself. </div>
    pregnancy calendar
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards