Chit Chat

Issue with transportation from the wedding

Hello! Newly engaged here and really we have really fell in love with a venue, but it is off a dangerous highway. We are from the area and the locals call it "death highway" because there are head-on collisions semi-frequently (its a dark two lane highway in the hills). We feel uncomfortable letting guests drive home on this dangerous highway late at night. Are there any suggestions to accommodate this worry? We were possibly thinking a shuttle service but we don't know if there's a place for all of our guests to be able to park their cars and catch the shuttle. In addition, would we need to rent the shuttle for all the hours of the wedding or is it possible just to do it for the beginning and end? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Re: Issue with transportation from the wedding

• If your guests are staying in the same hotel or in hotels close to one another you could have one of the hotels as the pick up and drop off point. This is what we did for our daughter's wedding. You can probably arrange for a number of hours at the beginning and a number of hours at the end. We had shuttles leaving the reception starting a couple of hours after the cocktail party. This allowed for guests who didn't want to stay for the "party" to leave after dinner. The shuttle ran until the end of the party. The beginning would be a tighter time line since the beginning of the ceremony is a more specific time.

• Hello! Newly engaged here and really we have really fell in love with a venue, but it is off a dangerous highway. We are from the area and the locals call it "death highway" because there are head-on collisions semi-frequently (its a dark two lane highway in the hills). We feel uncomfortable letting guests drive home on this dangerous highway late at night. Are there any suggestions to accommodate this worry? We were possibly thinking a shuttle service but we don't know if there's a place for all of our guests to be able to park their cars and catch the shuttle. In addition, would we need to rent the shuttle for all the hours of the wedding or is it possible just to do it for the beginning and end? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!
    I cannot imagine attending a wedding where I'm required to use their transportation where I'm not parking my car in the hotel parking lot.  If the desire to help your guests avoid collisions also means extra work I think you need to find a different venue. 
  • I'm inclined to agree with @banana468. If the danger to your guests is that great a concern, you should find another venue. Who's to say the shuttles will be any safer really as the risk is there for anyone driving on that road, and you'll have guests who won't take the shuttles for whatever reason.
  • geebee908 said:
    I'm inclined to agree with @banana468. If the danger to your guests is that great a concern, you should find another venue. Who's to say the shuttles will be any safer really as the risk is there for anyone driving on that road, and you'll have guests who won't take the shuttles for whatever reason.
    Also, shuttles need to be accessible for guests with issues. 

• I'm also in the find a different venue camp. And do it before you get so attached to this one that it's hard to let it go. Imagine how awful it would be if one of your guests got into a horrible crash on the way home from your wedding. If the road is that bad, even sober people could get into an accident.
  • If you have to be this worried about guests getting to and from your venue safely, I'm not sure this is the right venue for you. If the road is really that dangerous, even a sober shuttle driver may have trouble navigating it. I'd continue looking at other venues if I were in your shoes.
  • I also would find a different venue. Expecting your guests to have to park elsewhere and get on a shuttle that still has to be driven down a dark, dangerous highway doesn't sound reasonable. If you can take some photos before the wedding at that venue, you could do that, but don't expect your guests to undergo that much inconvenience.
  • Also, many people NEED access to their stuff.

Ex: my dad now has incontinence issues.  My mom will pack a change of clothing and items to wash with if he has an accident.  It's uncomfortable but this is part of the aging process.

There no way my brother is going to pick a venue that doesn't give my mom access to their car.  And there's no reason that she should have to drive on dark dangerous roads to attend a wedding because the end destination is so great. 
  • Team "Find a different venue"...  

The venue isn't "PERFECT!" if you've got to ask your guests to park someplace because getting to said venue is a death wish.  
  • I would say the best way to go is to get a shuttle towards the first 2 hours and last 2 hours of the wedding and having people "sign up" for the shuttle as an option. This way you are providing the shuttle service, and those that want to join can chip in!
  • I would say the best way to go is to get a shuttle towards the first 2 hours and last 2 hours of the wedding and having people "sign up" for the shuttle as an option. This way you are providing the shuttle service, and those that want to join can chip in!
    Uh, say what now? Chip in?? Why would the guests be chipping in for the shuttle?
    Uh, say what now? Chip in?? Why would the guests be chipping in for the shuttle?
    No way!  If you want to force me into your transportation I'm not paying for it and I'm not going to pay for something that's offered.

• No guests don't chip in for a shuttle! 
  • if you go alone to a wedding it's hard to go home but i don't think a lot of people will o that