Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding Guest Attire - Hats

I’m getting married in a month in Aspen, CO. We put formal attire on our invites but put this on the q&a on our website:

What is the dress code? Summer Formal attire but cowboys hats are welcome!

We want people to embrace the Colorado style if they want because we are having the ceremony outside, and I want to whip out my fun hat at the end of the night too lol. 

My mom said what I put does not make sense and her friends keep asking her what it means. Some of my fiancés friends asked me if cowboy hats are required. 

Is there a better way to explain this attire? I’m afraid I confused a lot of people. 

Re: Wedding Guest Attire - Hats

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2022

I’m getting married in a month in Aspen, CO. We put formal attire on our invites but put this on the q&a on our website:

What is the dress code? Summer Formal attire but cowboys hats are welcome!

We want people to embrace the Colorado style if they want because we are having the ceremony outside, and I want to whip out my fun hat at the end of the night too lol. 

My mom said what I put does not make sense and her friends keep asking her what it means. Some of my fiancés friends asked me if cowboy hats are required. 

Is there a better way to explain this attire? I’m afraid I confused a lot of people. 

There is no such thing as summer formal attire.  You also cannot actually dictate the apparel for your guests unless you are having a legitimate black tie affair, or your venue places restrictions.  

The style of your invitations and the venue typically give guests all they need to know regarding how to dress.  
  • You shouldn't be dictating attire including hats to your guests. No such thing as formal attire. Obviously you already have your guests confused, and that's not good. 

Take out anything about formal attire. People know how to dress themselves. You could put something about cowboy hats welcomed and encouraged but leave it at that. 
  • I'm going to echo the others.  Your mix of outdoor ceremony plus cowboy hats is confusing.  If people ask just say that they can dress in what they're comfortable wearing to a wedding and cowboy hats are encouraged. 

Let it be a lesson in the future that the only times you ever put the attire on an invitation are if you're having a black tie event (you aren't) and if the venue has a required dress.