Wedding Woes
Options

This all seems off.

Dear Prudence, 

My sister is expecting triplets so I have been stockpiling as many diapers as I can when I find them discounted. My local grocery store marks them down several times a month but it is done randomly. Employees are not allowed to buy them or hold discounted items while they are on the clock. There is a serious threat of termination. An employee told me this. She was pregnant and wished she would buy a lot like I did. I offered to buy and hold them for her. I work right across the street and she could just pay me back wholesale.

I ended up buying a lot of the discounted diapers and put them in my SUV. We exchanged numbers and met up for the exchange. Since then, she and another employee will text me when the discounted diapers happen. I will take an early or late lunch to go to the grocery store and buy up the lot.

We met up later and they took their pick and paid me in cash. The situation has been so successful, you can barely get to the bed in my guest room because the diaper boxes are piled so high. One of my co-workers noticed my SUV always had the diaper boxes piled up and wished she knew my secret because she has a toddler and can never find diapers discounted. I told her I had a secret weapon where an employee texted me when they were discounted and then I would go buy them. I offered her the deal where she could take what diapers she needed and just pay me back the sale price. I probably have a dozen toddler-size diapers stowed away for my sister.

Instead, my co-worker got very angry with me. She accused me of “stealing” and being “greedy.” It wasn’t fair to “everyone else” that I always bought discounted items. She threatened to “find out” the employees’ names and make a formal complaint to the grocery store.

I got frightened and ran to the bathroom. I immediately changed the names of the employees to fake ones on my phone and changed the location of where we met up. And I bought a tarp for the back of my SUV. Later, my co-worker apologized for coming on “too harsh” and wanted in on my “special” deal. I bribed her with a few free boxes of diapers. Then I lied off my ass about more discounts. She backed off but my paranoia is high.

I don’t want to cost anyone their job. I thought it was a win-win situation. I am paying for the products, not making money off them, and whatever my sister didn’t use would be given away for free. I am also spending hundreds of dollars on her sake.

—Diaper Dilemma

Re: This all seems off.

• Options
    LW is relying on an employee to take time out of their day to alert ONE person to a sale so the "random" customer gets the discount and the employees profit? 

Yeah - this is shady and it's why bigger promotions are 'friends and family excluded.' 

But does LW not realize what they're doing?   Yeah this is generous to the sister but LW is clearly jumping to do this and it's to the detriment of everyone who can't get in before her.  Sure you can talk that this is capitalist but she's buying diapers that the triplets likely won't use for OVER A YEAR while the coworker can't get these for her own kid.

LW, YTA here and it's really frustrating that you don't see it. 
  • Options
    I don’t see anything at all wrong with this except an absolutely unhinged coworker and the very real possibility that the sister does not want this and will be overwhelmed. 
  • Options
    I...yeah, I got nothing. 
  • Options
    It’d be easier to sell drugs out of your SUV at this point.

• Options
    I don’t see anything at all wrong with this except an absolutely unhinged coworker and the very real possibility that the sister does not want this and will be overwhelmed. 
    I agree with this 100%
  • Options
    First of all, it's suspect because IDK anyone who would stick their neck out for a rando that shops in their place of work.  Secondly, how are they hoarding these diapers or is it like they say they're 'holding' them for a customer (which is technically true)?  But wouldn't this pattern set off alarms to store management that it's these employees and this customer every time buying up the discount diapers?  We don't know if this is a small local place or a national chain.  Also, if management knows these two have kids in diapers, then this pattern would become suspicious one would think.  

Furthermore, I wonder if LW is truly using her lunch break for this. They could be gone longer than lunch or take lunch and still leave early or something.  I'm not one to promote being a narc, but I can see how this is rubbing co-worker the wrong way.  Also, the price of diapers has skyrocketed and they were impacted by supply chain issues, so I can see why co-worker would be salty at the whole situation. 

And if it feels wrong, it probably is.  PLUS, kids are in diapers a long ass time.  Sister just needs to accept it as an expense for the next few years of child rearing.  

I don't think LW's intent is bad, just the execution of all this and not knowing how to stop the train. 
  • Options
    There are a lot of things about this situation that seem weird.  I'm surprised to find I have a lot of thoughts on it, lol.

I've heard stories that diapers and brands can vary for what works best for which kid.  The LW might be buying a whole lot of diapers that her sister will never use.  Or that the LW will need to store for their sister for the next 1-2 years.

To add on to what @MyNameIsNot said, the LW might have a susceptible personality for hoarding tendencies.

I also don't agree that the LW should buy up all the diapers, every time they are on sale.  I tend to be pretty flexible on this kind of thing, but wiping out a whole section of the store for a needed item is shitty behavior.  I'm surprised the store hasn't already set limits.  However, I don't have an issue with the two employees coming over and buying diapers from the LW.

The other danger for possibly everyone's job is how long is all of this taking and how often is it happening.  The LW is leaving their job to go buy the diapers.  Then meeting the employees outside on (maybe) their breaks.  Unless the LW is in a really flexible workplace like that, I wouldn't be too happy about it if I were their manager or coworker.

But then I also think the LW's coworker was being a jerk.  And how quickly they changed their tune when they calmed down and realized they may have lost their own chance to benefit from the situation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    First of all, it's suspect because IDK anyone who would stick their neck out for a rando that shops in their place of work.  Secondly, how are they hoarding these diapers or is it like they say they're 'holding' them for a customer (which is technically true)?  But wouldn't this pattern set off alarms to store management that it's these employees and this customer every time buying up the discount diapers?  We don't know if this is a small local place or a national chain.  Also, if management knows these two have kids in diapers, then this pattern would become suspicious one would think.  

Furthermore, I wonder if LW is truly using her lunch break for this. They could be gone longer than lunch or take lunch and still leave early or something.  I'm not one to promote being a narc, but I can see how this is rubbing co-worker the wrong way.  Also, the price of diapers has skyrocketed and they were impacted by supply chain issues, so I can see why co-worker would be salty at the whole situation. 

And if it feels wrong, it probably is.  PLUS, kids are in diapers a long ass time.  Sister just needs to accept it as an expense for the next few years of child rearing.  

I don't think LW's intent is bad, just the execution of all this and not knowing how to stop the train. 
    This is all of where I am:
    -The price has gone up a TON so by purchasing these now for items that won't be used for WELL OVER A YEAR you are preventing people who need these from getting them at a lower cost.  For many who are dealing with the results of inflation (hey - I haven't had a raise this year because we get raises when the company has a bigger profit and due to ever increasing costs we haven't) then I'd be salty if my coworker bought Items that I needed now with the intention that they won't be used until these babies are older.
    -Diapers are also FUNKY.  Some babies have sensitive skin and others just have butts that are shaped different and consequently a diaper that you thought was a good idea just doesn't work because there's a rash or tons of leaks.   Buying that kind of a supply now just doesn't seem like a great idea.  

This is why I think LW is the AH here in the way that even if she's somehow allowed to take lunch at any time and there's no cap on the # purchased, she's still rushing out for her discount and the parents of actual toddlers are paying full $.   

So even if all of this IS in the clear it's in the 'jerk thing to do" category IMO. 
  • Options
    An entire room of random kinds of diapers? This isn’t actually helping your sister and sounds like a compulsion to me. 

I’d stop with the scheme now; if your see newborn or size 1s on sale buy some those but leave some for others and leave everything else alone.