Wedding Woes

"*I* feel this has run it's course"

Dear Prudence, 

For a variety of reasons, I have decided to end my relationship with my boyfriend of a year and a half. It mostly boils down to differing opinions and styles that won’t work long term. Nobody has done anything “wrong” and it really is an “it’s not you, it’s me” situation. My question is, how do you break up with someone that hasn’t done anything wrong? Most of my relationships have ended badly or the other party initiated the breakup.

—Breaking Up Is Hard to Do

Re: "*I* feel this has run it's course"

• “JohnSteve, we need to talk. This relationship just isn’t working for me anymore, so we need to break up.”
  • You're not compatible.  That's a reason to break up.  No one has to do anything wrong, hell most of the time the "something wrong" is b/c people are incompatible.  Do it now, and just "Hey, we need to talk".
  • It's ripping off a band aid.  Have the difficult conversation. 
  • I know it's difficult, but you basically have to tell him the same thing you told Prudie - that you're not compatible and you don't see things working out long term. You don't have to stick around just because he hasn't done anything wrong - that's not a basis for a successful and happy relationship.