Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Bridal Shower - Colombian Traditions - Help?

Hello,

my brother is marrying a woman who is from Colombia. She moved to the US about 3 years ago. Unfortunately her family is unable to come to the wedding, so we would like to infuse some of her Colombian traditions into the bridal shower.

Can anyone help with bridal shower traditions or norms in Colombia?

thanks,
christine 

Re: Bridal Shower - Colombian Traditions - Help?

• Why don’t you ask her? 
  • we would like it to be a surprise
    Then maybe reach out to her family members or friends to find out what their traditions or customs are. 
    Then maybe reach out to her family members or friends to find out what their traditions or customs are. 
    I think you should still find out from family members.

I have Irish heritage and there are some traditions you can find that are apparently Irish but they aren't things that my family has done.  So if my bridesmaids had surprised me with them I would have looked at them confused wondering why they did something that wasn't personal to me.

This will also make it more personal and about family traditions vs. ones that may be specific to the ethnicity.  

Ex: My family every year celebrated St. Patrick's Day.  Every year my grandmother made a yellow cake with frosting and coconut dyed green.  It's not Irish but that's the tradition in my family.  If someone brought that out to me this year on March 17th I'd probably bust into tears. 

So talk to the family members (and get your brother to get you this information) so they can share things with you.  Maybe there are things they do or recipes that they can share.