Attire & Accessories Forum

SOS - Attire Snaffoos

lanneaureeveslanneaureeves member
edited February 2023 in Attire & Accessories Forum
1. Wedding Dress
My dress is an unforgiving, slinky fabric (not shiny) with no patterns, texture, or seams on the front. The front of the dress is one solid panel of fabric. The sides are completely sheer, and it is completely backless. I bought the dress thinking I could have a lining put in and wear sticky boobs. Well, the seamstress said putting in a liner is impossible-- is that true? Should I ask another seamstress? & If it is impossible... thoughts on how to tape so that the tape texture doesn't show through the dress??

2. Bridesmaids Dresses
On top of everything else, the bridesmaids dresses arrived & they're the wrong color. Not majorly, but they're periwinkle (more purple) instead of a vibrant, bright Carolina/ cornflower blue. Any thoughts on colors I could use (in flowers, accessories, etc) to bring out the blue and tone down the purple? 

Thanks!!!! 

Re: SOS - Attire Snaffoos

• I have a little bit of sewing knowledge, but unless I'd seen the dress in person I'm sure I wouldn't know whether some kind of lining is possible. Get a second opinion, but I worry that even if another seamstress can put a lining in, you won't like the change it makes in the way the dress drapes. I think the original seamstress is saying that she can't add a lining and have it seem like the same dress, which is probably true.

As for the periwinkle, the only way I know of to make it seem more blue is to go more purple with the accessories so its shade looks bluer by comparison. However, I'd just lean into the color you have. Especially you'd be getting the other accessories without being able to actually lay them against the dress and see if you like the coordination/contrast, I wouldn't even try to get them in a shade you think will change the appearance of the dress. If you buy them sight unseen, you might end up with yet another situation where the accessories weren't quite the shade you thought, and it doesn't help you. Get something you know will work, like white flowers.
  • 1. Wedding Dress
    My dress is an unforgiving, slinky fabric (not shiny) with no patterns, texture, or seams on the front. The front of the dress is one solid panel of fabric. The sides are completely sheer, and it is completely backless. I bought the dress thinking I could have a lining put in and wear sticky boobs. Well, the seamstress said putting in a liner is impossible-- is that true? Should I ask another seamstress? & If it is impossible... thoughts on how to tape so that the tape texture doesn't show through the dress??

2. Bridesmaids Dresses
    On top of everything else, the bridesmaids dresses arrived & they're the wrong color. Not majorly, but they're periwinkle (more purple) instead of a vibrant, bright Carolina/ cornflower blue. Any thoughts on colors I could use (in flowers, accessories, etc) to bring out the blue and tone down the purple? 

Thanks!!!! 
    It couldn't hurt to get another seamstress's opinion. 

As far as the bridesmaid dresses go - what color flowers were you planning on having? I not sure of anything toning down the dress color. Maybe you could go with simple white/light pink?
  • 1) Find a new seamstress - that one told you the limits of their skill, and that's okay!  It may take a few before you find one that has enough of a costumer's mindset, shrugs and comes up with a plan.  Sure, you'll have to pay for their skillset, but they'll pull off what needs to be done!

2) The best bet might be to buy some blues and magenta flowers and play around a little bit with your florist to come up with the best floral combo..  It's all in how that particular dress photographs because purple can have a mind of its own.