Wedding Woes

Wednesday

It IS Wednesday right? Who knows nowadays. I had my annual eye exam, and I was waiting on that before buying new prescription shades anwyay.  I did end up needing a new script so I’m glad I waited for the prognosis. The eye doc did tell me it was my choice if I wanted to get new glasses with them or not, they haven’t changed that much.  But as I was looking around, noticed they had a clearance sale and a BOGO (I like a home pair and purse pair) so why not get them in what my eyes need?  Glasses USA have an amazing “live try” filter that turns you into a supermodel when you’re trying them on.  I’ll probably be disappointed when they arrive. “Why don’t I look like a supermodel in real life?!?”. Seriously go test it.  Lol. 

Re: Wednesday

• I got new glasses a few years ago and am still mad at myself that I didn't return them.  They are a worse prescription than my really, really old glasses so the new glasses were almost useless and I still wear the old ones.  But I don't have 20/20 vision with either one.

I'm nervous because the previous place told me that I should really opt for huge frames.  I did not.  I already have a smaller than average head that is extra round.  That style of frame is incredibly unflattering for the shape of my face.  I'm not even that vain, but I just can't.

I have contacts also.  But my vision has become so poor that I can no longer get 20/20 vision from contacts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It ended up being busy yesterday, so every time I'd go to post I'd get distracted by other stuff.

We're not sure if it's air in our house, or she's starting a cold but BK has a cough. Meds seem to help {I say meds lightly because she's in a fkn awful age group that it's more like holistic stuff - but it works, so you get my point}

M's changing air filter in the furnace to see if that helps. I'll admit I do need to vacuum, so even if it's not the problem, it's likely not helping.

Apparently they're making leprechaun traps at school. Idk how they're doing it but it sounds like the leprechaun is coming and making mischief before they catch it. BK excitedly told me that a creature came and wrote her teacher's name on the board and some kind of message lol
    Me: oh what was it?
    BK: I don't knowwww but it's doing silly things!!
    Me: ooh maybe you can catch it!
    BK: it only happens when we're out, so maybe not.

Is anyone up to date on watching Last of Us?

If you need more Pedro in your life, he's on Hot Ones tomorrow lol I told M we need to watch Jenna Ortega because she was on an ep this week too.

Today is BK's forest walk. She was excited to do it again - weather wise, they stopped for a few months.

Saturday I'm going to a yoga class and grocery pick up. M is doing gym Sunday. We figure if BK is getting a cold, we're avoiding her in public where we can.
    Honestly idk ... we find she gets a cough every so often but it does nothing further and goes away.
  • Mostly SSDD. It's sunny but windy and cold. And more snow this weekend. 

N has been cooking up a storm. I came home to 2 more loaves of bread, polenta, and 6 jars of blueberry jam. Of course all of this when I'm trying to eat healthier and not many carbs/sugars. I'm finally getting into a good routine of working out after I get home. But I'm for sure not going to complain about all these home baked goods! 
  • @MissKittyDanger when my kids have been in classes where there are leprechaun traps the leprechaun does something the night before St. Patrick's Day and the kids come in to see the mischief made, that they did NOT catch the leprechaun and sometimes there's a treat. 

My aunt bought a book for my kids years ago that involves a tiny leprechaun my kids are supposed to put in the window and he's supposed to pull pranks on the house.  We didn't even realize what it was until we read the book and I was SO PISSED at her.   I don't think she realized what was involved but DH and I just looked and said, "It's another mother f*cking elf!"  Except this is worse - not only should I give the kids a visual the next day but I need to clean it up!  In her defense she didn't realize what it was but since that day I hate those sort of things.

Also potentially unpopular opinion - I hate that March and Shamrocks equal mint.  I don't get it at all as an Irish American and roll my eyes.  Have all the mint you want but I feel like so many of my authentically Irish family would call that 'too spicy'!
  • banana468 said:

Also potentially unpopular opinion - I hate that March and Shamrocks equal mint.  I don't get it at all as an Irish American and roll my eyes.  Have all the mint you want but I feel like so many of my authentically Irish family would call that 'too spicy'!
    I don’t get it either but the oreo mint mcflurry at McDonald’s is on point!

• @banana468, I assume it's because March/Shamrocks/St. Patrick's Day are associated with green.  Mint is green.  Ergo the association.  Though I was watching a program a couple weeks ago that St. Patrick's Day colors used to be blue because that saint is usually protrayed in blue robes.

I partially agree with you.  But only because it should be a year round thing, not just in March.  I love the taste of mint.  Though the McDs in my area don't seem to seasonally carry the Shamrock Shakes anymore.  I will try again this year (sigh). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy that's my point!  If you're going to bust it out then make it all year round!  But you're calling it a Shamrock shake and Shamrocks DO NOT taste like mint (I assume) so it's one little thing that annoys me.

Now a Bailey's shake?  Sign me up.  
  • @banana468, I assume it's because March/Shamrocks/St. Patrick's Day are associated with green.  Mint is green.  Ergo the association.  Though I was watching a program a couple weeks ago that St. Patrick's Day colors used to be blue because that saint is usually protrayed in blue robes.

I partially agree with you.  But only because it should be a year round thing, not just in March.  I love the taste of mint.  Though the McDs in my area don't seem to seasonally carry the Shamrock Shakes anymore.  I will try again this year (sigh). 
    Calls for a drive to another state. Lol

• I think I always thought it was because of the lamb dishes associated with St. Paddy's Day?  Isn't it supposed to be mint jelly or something with lamb?  Though IDK why I associated lamb with Paddy's Day, maybe something Irish?  Just give me the soda bread.

Things are starting to ramp up for my photo shoot.  I have my lashes/brows done on Saturday and I'm scheduling a mani/pedi for next week.  Working from home today and I'm just damn tired -- though I fell asleep a bit past 7:00 pm and slept until almost 7 am?  I'll give this a few more weeks to get my mental health back on solid footing and if I'm still sleeping like this, I'll see the doc. 

I just don't feel like working much, honestly.  I'm trying to plan a vacation, but I can't get solid answers at this place re: some planning things, so I'm just trying to hold on.  But I'm taking some time off in July, no matter what.  I haven't had any sort of long time off work for a few years now, b/c the last place was leaving the office open during the huge snowstorms and forcing us to burn through PTO if we wanted to be paid (b/c god forbid we close the office or be allowed to work from home).

Otherwise, SSDD.  Going to have dinner with my mom this evening.  Supposed to go out to dinner with a friend tomorrow night for my birthday,but I can't figure out where I want to go.

Calls for a drive to another state. Lol
    Hahahaha!  Next year I will BE in another state.  

I investigated more.  At least according to the app, the McD I usually go to doesn't have shakes at all.  Huh.  Well that's not very "fast-foody burger place" of them, lol.

Two other ones that either near my house or work claim they have Shamrock shakes.  But I know I went to one of those locations last year and they said they hadn't gotten the syrup in and didn't expect to.  This was a few weeks after the shake had "returned", so it wasn't even like I was trying to get it in the first few days.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Machine’s broken @short+sassy, it’s been broken for years.

• VarunaTT said:
    I think I always thought it was because of the lamb dishes associated with St. Paddy's Day?  Isn't it supposed to be mint jelly or something with lamb?  Though IDK why I associated lamb with Paddy's Day, maybe something Irish?  Just give me the soda bread.

Things are starting to ramp up for my photo shoot.  I have my lashes/brows done on Saturday and I'm scheduling a mani/pedi for next week.  Working from home today and I'm just damn tired -- though I fell asleep a bit past 7:00 pm and slept until almost 7 am?  I'll give this a few more weeks to get my mental health back on solid footing and if I'm still sleeping like this, I'll see the doc. 

I just don't feel like working much, honestly.  I'm trying to plan a vacation, but I can't get solid answers at this place re: some planning things, so I'm just trying to hold on.  But I'm taking some time off in July, no matter what.  I haven't had any sort of long time off work for a few years now, b/c the last place was leaving the office open during the huge snowstorms and forcing us to burn through PTO if we wanted to be paid (b/c god forbid we close the office or be allowed to work from home).

Otherwise, SSDD.  Going to have dinner with my mom this evening.  Supposed to go out to dinner with a friend tomorrow night for my birthday,but I can't figure out where I want to go.
    That's an interesting theory!

It's so rare that I use mint w/ lamb (I usually prefer mustard crusting, garlic or just S&P)  or it's in a shepherd's pie which doesn't use mint.

• banana468 said:
    VarunaTT said:
    I think I always thought it was because of the lamb dishes associated with St. Paddy's Day?  Isn't it supposed to be mint jelly or something with lamb?  Though IDK why I associated lamb with Paddy's Day, maybe something Irish?  Just give me the soda bread.

It's so rare that I use mint w/ lamb (I usually prefer mustard crusting, garlic or just S&P)  or it's in a shepherd's pie which doesn't use mint.

Lamb with mint jelly to me is the classic English Easter meal. I’ve never heard of lamb for St. Patrick’s Day. 
    I thought it was the ice cream machines that are perpetually broken, lol.  Maybe the ice cream machine was a bad influence on the shake machine for that location.

At least I'm assuming those are different machines.  Perhaps they aren't.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @banana468 I know they're doing trap this week because st paddy's day is march break but it was never a thing when I was younger?
    Also wtf to your aunt.
    We are not doing the elf - I'll find a way but I legit don't wanna do it. Love watching other families but it weird me out!

My mum's bio dad was Irish-Catholic, so we're solid Irish roots lol I like mint but agreed. It's probably because most green things are often mint flavoured so want green, get mint.
    I thought it was the ice cream machines that are perpetually broken, lol.  Maybe the ice cream machine was a bad influence on the shake machine for that location.

At least I'm assuming those are different machines.  Perhaps they aren't.
    Joke story but facts because I asked my mum about this {she worked at McD}

50% it's because at least one machine is broken and getting someone in to fix it is hell - usually easy fix but workers aren't allowed to do it

Other 50%? Check timing of when you're going. If it's part-time and often the either older workers or teens. Older workers - can't push the machine long enough and it's hard/heavy {my mum did it but if her hands were stiff due to weather, she couldn't hold the handle}
    Teens often don't wanna do it and don't give a fk enough. {obv not all}
  • banana468 said:
    VarunaTT said:

Lamb with mint jelly to me is the classic English Easter meal. I’ve never heard of lamb for St. Patrick’s Day. 
    Me either.  Lamb is definitely eaten as classic Irish food but more in stews, soups because you can extend tough cuts with veggies and gravy.

My grandfather scoffed that people at corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day and called it a New England boiled dinner but it became the tradition of eating it as New England Catholics.

Now I make it my aunt's  (same who gifted the leprechaun) way so it's cooked twice and the second is a slow bake in the oven w/ brown sugar and it's amazing.
  • So that's all really interesting, b/c I've never done lamb for Easter.  I think we always did ham.  But my mother didn't like lamb, so that was probably why.

I can't remember what the travesty was that my exMIL made for St. Paddy's day with lamb, but I tried it one year and just couldn't do it, though I ate the heck out of the home made soda bread.  I think it was some sort of heavy stew?  I don't really care for lamb in general, though I did have a friend who did a smoked lamb [some cut] that was pretty tasty.
  • Some areas are big on lamb shaped butter around Easter.  That’s the only reason why I associate lamb with Easter.  The midwest has it in stores around that time.

A big part of the traditional Buffalonian feast for Easter includes the butter lamb. Though many use the spread, few know why it sits on the table each year. Hours before the holiday, crowds filled the Broadway Market to get their holiday favorites. It's a popular destination for Easter shopping for generations.

• Lamb is traditionally one of the Easter symbols but it can be so pricey per/lb so I think it's also likely one of the reasons you aren't going to find it cooked for an Easter crowd.  During Covid I made it because I couldn't get a ham and it was fantastic but it was a $62 piece of meat for 4 people that I ordered from a local farm.  It was a full bone in leg if I remember correctly that was absolutely delicious if you like it. 

Ham and scalloped potatoes is usually what we do.  

• I have had lamb with mint jelly.  Mostly because I had an over abundance of mint jelly.

Easter we usually do turkey, but I do hate turkey. Ham would be better with some nice scalloped potatoes.

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Banana I'm in "fed up with leprechauns" mode too.  My mom brought the kids and little leprechaun toy and book, "Buddy McSpuddy", read it with them, and didn't tell me that Buddy is basically an elf on the shelf dressed in green.  The kids were disappointed that he didn't leave them coins *eyeroll*.  Hard no.  I actually enjoy the elf bc it's just the season to be jolly I guess?  But lets not bring all that into another season!
  • kerbohl said:
    I have had lamb with mint jelly.  Mostly because I had an over abundance of mint jelly.

Easter we usually do turkey, but I do hate turkey. Ham would be better with some nice scalloped potatoes.
    Ham and scalloped potatoes are just perffffff

MIL apparently makes great mint jelly but ... idk. I can't.
  • ei34 said:
    Banana I'm in "fed up with leprechauns" mode too.  My mom brought the kids and little leprechaun toy and book, "Buddy McSpuddy", read it with them, and didn't tell me that Buddy is basically an elf on the shelf dressed in green.  The kids were disappointed that he didn't leave them coins *eyeroll*.  Hard no.  I actually enjoy the elf bc it's just the season to be jolly I guess?  But lets not bring all that into another season!
    Exactly!!  I'm pro leprechaun but they show for ONE MOTHER F*CKING DAY and not for the other 16 days. 

And I LOVE the day.  I have specific St. Patrick's Day pillow covers on my throw pillows in two rooms, a leprechaun wreath on my front door and glittery decorations looking like shamrocks or pots of gold around the house.  I'm as cheery as they get! (with a grimace this morning).  But it wasn't supposed to be a day of "stuff" and I've got enough on my plate now.

PLUS, the elf just has to move.  The mischief is saying, "Hey mom and dad!  You know how you don't have enough time to clean the house? Well, HERE is a thing that adds to the messes that YOU get to make that you didn't want to do in the first place!"  
  • VarunaTT said:
    So that's all really interesting, b/c I've never done lamb for Easter.  I think we always did ham.  But my mother didn't like lamb, so that was probably why.

I can't remember what the travesty was that my exMIL made for St. Paddy's day with lamb, but I tried it one year and just couldn't do it, though I ate the heck out of the home made soda bread.  I think it was some sort of heavy stew?  I don't really care for lamb in general, though I did have a friend who did a smoked lamb [some cut] that was pretty tasty.
    My mom loves to cook and, growing up, we ate a huge variety of food.  I didn't appreciate until I was older what a gift that was.

But she didn't like lamb and never made it.  I've only had it a handful of times in my life.  I can eat it, but it's one of my lesser favorite meats.  We also always had ham for Easter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2023
    banana468 said:
    ei34 said:
    Exactly!!  I'm pro leprechaun but they show for ONE MOTHER F*CKING DAY and not for the other 16 days. 

And I LOVE the day.  I have specific St. Patrick's Day pillow covers on my throw pillows in two rooms, a leprechaun wreath on my front door and glittery decorations looking like shamrocks or pots of gold around the house.  I'm as cheery as they get! (with a grimace this morning).  But it wasn't supposed to be a day of "stuff" and I've got enough on my plate now.

PLUS, the elf just has to move.  The mischief is saying, "Hey mom and dad!  You know how you don't have enough time to clean the house? Well, HERE is a thing that adds to the messes that YOU get to make that you didn't want to do in the first place!"  
    Yup I love decorating for the holiday.  I have holiday-themed books for the kids for each holiday that we read together leading up, the books are out.  We'll bake soda bread starting this weekend. Etc.  Yes to all the lead-up celebrations except for leprechaun shaninigans.   The kids even came home from pre-k a few years ago telling me about catching a leprechaun and setting our own leprechaun trap...I kind of rolled my eyes at it bc I made it through 30+years half-Irish without needing that to be part of the holiday, but played along since it was a one-night thing.  But a whole week or 16 days of lead up?  No way.  They told my mom what I'd said and she was all "Come on Eileen!" (exasperated tone not the song) and I told the kids in front of her that I'm sure Buddy McSpuddy has left them a bunch of gold coins and chocolate coins at Nana's house, we'll check this weekend    ;)

edit spelling
  • @ei34, that is a good song!  Definitely better than an exasperated tone.  But do you hate it because it's your name?

I'm like that with the 867-5309 song.  Hate that song.  If you listen to the words, it is not a complimentary song for all the Jennys out there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker