Wedding Woes
Options

Time for some boundaries (and stop commenting on her life).

Dear Prudence,

I am the only family my sister has nearby. She married a lazy man who has never done a chore in his life without being nagged into it. He wanted a high-energy dog for his birthday, so my sister caved and got him. She ended up walking the dog three times a day so it wouldn’t go stir crazy and destroy the house. Her husband works from home. She constantly complains about him to the point when she told me she had good news to share, I thought she was finally getting a divorce. Nope. She was pregnant. I guess I rained on her parade by asking how she plans on taking care of an infant when she already has a kid with her husband? Could they afford a nanny when my sister complains they can’t afford a dog walker? She got really defensive and said she has everything under control.

I apologized, but since then she has been dropping hints about what she thinks a good auntie should be doing, which is essentially everything. Cooking, cleaning, and even staying overnight to help with the feeding. Where is the father of her child in all this? Planning on a two-week vacation with friends about a month after the baby is due. I love my sister and I want her to be happy, but I am not going to be sucked into being a second parent here. How do I avoid this without completely tanking my relationship with my sister? I’m honestly thinking of asking for a transfer and using it as an excuse to run away.

—Run Away

Re: Time for some boundaries (and stop commenting on her life).

• Options
    I'd be clear, "Staying overnight and doing this isn't something that I'll commit to doing however I promise a few cute outfits and I'll get some casseroles in the fridge."  

Set up the boundaries first before you run away. 
  • Options
    Keep your eyes on your own plate.  Doesn't matter where baby daddy is.  You, however, are busy and unavaiable for any of this nonsense.
  • Options
    Her marriage is her business, not yours. But you do decide what you will commit to and what you won’t. Coming over to keep them company during the day? Great. Overnights. Not at all. Just because she has expectations doesn’t mean you’re obligated to fulfill them. Offer what you’re willing to do and politely decline anything more. 
  • Options
    Just about the only proper response when someone tells you they are pregnant is, "Congratulations!"

So the LW super sucks there by using it as an opportunity to vent about her BIL.  We don't even know if the sister ever makes any of those complaints.

As for the expectations, the LW needs to set up boundaries.  Be clear about them and stick to them.  I'm wondering if they have trouble saying "no", because talking about a job transfer just to get away from their sister's family sounds fairly extreme.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker