Wedding Woes
Options

My husband won't let me be a kept woman.

Dear Prudence,

My husband’s career has been going wonderfully for the past four years, and we have become financially independent, to the point where we could be a single-income family and have plenty of money to spare. We own our home, take vacations, and he essentially makes a lot more money than I do. Most of the wives of my husband’s colleagues are stay-at-home moms, and by seeing how they live, I’ve become convinced I also want to be a stay-at-home wife and not have to work. However, my husband insists that it’s okay for those wives to stay at home because they have children but that it wouldn’t be fair if I stayed at home. The money I contribute to the family is laughably minuscule, and I’m not in a job that will allow me to get any raises or promotions. I don’t like my job, but I worked when his career was beginning and we needed the money; now that we are well off, I want to spend my time at home relaxing and nurturing my hobbies. I see the other wives of his associates spending their days redecorating their homes, going to the spa, or taking painting lessons. Plus, his mother never worked even long after her only son grew up, so I don’t see the problem with simply being a wife. I’ve become depressed and resentful. How can I explain to him that I want the traditional role of homemaker?

—Desperate to Be a Homemaker

Re: My husband won't let me be a kept woman.

• Options
    Yikes. I’ve got a lot of thoughts on this one, but I’ll start with are you sure you want to be financially dependent on another person? Even if your salary is tiny compared to his you’re still working and making your own money- something that gets harder the longer you’re out of the workforce. 

If this is something you think you truly want have a conversation with him- why do you want to leave work? What happens if he loses his job and your income changes dramatically? How will money be used between both of you both for expenses and for wants? What are the home maintenance expectations if you stop working? 

Think about why you’re pushing this now, and keep in mind the grass might not be greener on the other side. 
  • Options
    I don't have much sympathy for this woman.
  • Options
    Are you sure you want to be completely financially dependent on your husband and his job? That has serious implications if things change in your marriage or his career. I don't mean to be gloomy, but it's the truth. 

If you dislike your job that much, there are ways that you can quit while continuing to have at least some income of your own, either by getting a new job, or perhaps doing something freelance or starting some sort of business connected to something you enjoy more and are good at. Your options are not only having a job you don't like or only being a stay-at-home wife. 

There's a lot you need to think about here and then discuss with your husband. Why do you want this? Is it just an outgrowth of not liking your job? Or is it entitlement? What will you do with your time? (Having been through a period of not working, you can get bored pretty quickly.) What happens if your husband loses his job? It can happen even to high earning, successful people. Stop being resentful and start being thoughtful about all this.
  • Options
    So the LW is upset that her H won't let her sit at home and eat bon-bons.  Got it. 

Which I personally wouldn't have any issue with if her H was fine with it.  But he's not and that's fair also.  I wouldn't want to be working my ass off every day, while my spouse is sitting around doing nothing.  She doesn't even understand that HIS MOTHER.  HAD a CHILD to raise.  Just like his coworker's spouses.  So it still isn't an apples to apples comparison.

From the H's perspective, I'm guessing it isn't so much the money as it is he wants his wife to have some kind of purpose with her time.

She doesn't like her current job.  I get that and it's the one thing in her letter worth further discussion.  But is it that she wouldn't like any job or specifically this one?  I think a better stance is to think of what she wants, employment-wise.  He might be just fine with her quitting if she has a plan for another career and is going back to school to achieve that.  Or starting her own business.  Or taking a job she will enjoy more, even if it pays less.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If this is something you think you truly want have a conversation with him- why do you want to leave work? What happens if he loses his job and your income changes dramatically? How will money be used between both of you both for expenses and for wants? What are the home maintenance expectations if you stop working? 

Oh puh-leez, dahling!

I'm sure there is staff for those kind of tawdry things.  The tennis balls at the country club aren't going to hit themselves.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I feel like LW should say that she really wants to look at something else that's more fulfilling but I have a major issue that she wants to just not do anything.  At least be like Charlotte who quit her job and started to volunteer.  I hate that show but the point is that I bristle that the LW essentially wants someone else to do it all for her because adulting is work.  Sorry sweetheart that's what adulting is. 
  • Options
    If LW's income level truly doesn't matter since it's so small, why can't they find something that brings in income and they like doing it?   I get they feel depressed and stuck, but just dropping out of adulting and asking whole ass other human to support you with zero real plan as to what you're going to do to replace your working hours while they go to work every day is...childish.  And even kids get sent to school.  I get why LW's H is like, "no".  LW is being petulant and ridiculous. 
  • Options
    I honestly can't understand this perspective. I used to tease K that they should become a NP so that I could be a kept woman, but my plan was like....volunteering for organizations I loved, having gourmet dinners, etc.  Now i just dream about winning the lottery and being able to do that.  You need to have something to look forward to.  Honestly, her husband not being on board makes sense to.  How freaking boring would she be to talk to if she's doing nothing aka "relaxing and nuturing hobbies".  Maybe if the hobby could be monetized?
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    I honestly can't understand this perspective. I used to tease K that they should become a NP so that I could be a kept woman, but my plan was like....volunteering for organizations I loved, having gourmet dinners, etc.  Now i just dream about winning the lottery and being able to do that.  You need to have something to look forward to.  Honestly, her husband not being on board makes sense to.  How freaking boring would she be to talk to if she's doing nothing aka "relaxing and nuturing hobbies".  Maybe if the hobby could be monetized?
    The nice thing about monetizing a hobby in her situation is it will add other aspects to it.  Marketing, which might include building a website.  Customer service.  That kind of thing.

I had a coworker at a previous job whose wife had been a SAHM in their younger days.  But their kids had long since grown up and moved out.  For the job he had, I'm sure his salary was hefty.

Once she had more time, she got into reselling from garage sales and thrift stores.  Her average net was $300-$500/month which I'm sure was miniscule compared to his.  But she LOVED the hunt and it gave her a lot of excitement when she'd find a good deal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is my SIL. She married money because she just doesn't want to work. But he's not on board with a dependent wife, so she's been "trying on" different careers for the last 5-7 years. In all reality, it would have been cheaper for him to let her sit around doing nothing than to spend $$ on things like a real estate license so that she could never sell a house, but whatever. Not my circus. 

Anyway, LW should use the financial independence to find a better career path instead of staying in a job she doesn't like. My grandma told me at a very young age to never depend on a man for money, and every day I see how right she was. 
  • Options
    Why not focus on getting both of you financially independent so you can retire earlier?  Freedom 55 maybe?  Say that you want to use that money for both of you to be "kept people", and have something to look forward to.
    But also take this time to find a more fulfilling job in the meantime.  You have the means to at least do that!