Oregon

Veil Restoration

Time for me to pick everyone's brain again...

My mom has always had it in her head that I would someday wear her wedding gown. She could not be more insane. Not only am I 6 inches taller than she is, but I'm also a LOT "rounder" than she was when she got married. To give you an idea of the difference it's like shrek trying to squeeze into tinkerbell's dress. So, needless to say I'm not wearing her gown. She realizes that it's a physical impossibility, and has come to terms with it but is still a little sad. So, I thought that I might be able to still honor her somewhat but using her veil. However, her veil is circa early 70's so it needs some help. I need to have it cleaned as it's got some color distortion, and I also would like to remove the lace from the "awesome" 70's headband that it's on and figure out some kind of head piece or SOMETHING.

I'm not having any luck searching online for a place that would be able to help me. Truth be told, I don't even know where to start. 

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction? Please help me make my mom happy. 
October 2011 Siggy: Wedding Preview
Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Veil Restoration

• eospassioneospassion member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really am inspired by this idea, your mother will be pleased to see this happen too.

Would you consider taking the fabric of the veil and attatching it to a comb, or to a clip? After taking it to be cleaned, dry cleaners would be a good place to start, you could go down to Fabric Depot, their bridal department is huge and they carry many different veil accessories.

Pictures would be helpful, and also how will you have your hair?
    ~All the love you put out will return to you~
  • evabo31evabo31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's exactly what I had in mind, taking the fabric off and putting it on a comb or clip. I'm just not crafty enough to do it myself and would feel absolutely horrible if I damaged my mom's veil. So I was hoping that someone on here would have some recommendations on a place I could take it.

I haven't decided about my hair just yet. My hair is waist length right now and it's very thick and heavy. There's not a LOT that I can do with hair this long. So I'll probably end up cutting it, but wanted to wait a little longer so that I can cut enough off to donate it to Locks of Love and still have enough a little bit of length left on my head.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd contact Andrea at August Veils. http://augustveils.com/

She's restoring my Grandmother's lace veil and adding a clip to it and whatnot. She's great and knows everything about veils! I'm sure she'd be able to help. I'd definitely check her out!
  • evabo31evabo31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you, Andrea!!! I saw that she designs veils, and thought about contacting her. Now that I know she's doing that for you I'll definitely give her a call. Thank you so much!
  • danimarie1989danimarie1989 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

just an idea....

I cannot fit into my mom's dress either- I don’t want to wear it anyways- but because no one else will ever do anything with it, I'm going to take it apart and use the fabric to make my garters, ring bear pillow, hair piece for me, wrap my bouquet in the fabric and maybe couple other things as well.

It's just a way to make the memory of my parents wedding alive within my wedding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards