Registry and Gift Forum

Did i mess up?

In my family there are 2 pregancies and a wedding, in other words tons of showers. I registered for target, macys, and bbb. I deleted target becuase i didnt like it yet people still found out about the list. I put a big variety of stuff at bbb for people to buy from. I have 247 people invited and 183 gifts registered. People are now complaining that the gifts are too expensive (20-150) and i feel like they are upset with me, what should i do??? I feel like deleting it and just hiding. Help.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Did i mess up?

• Just add some smaller stuff to your registry.  I think the majority of gifts should be under $100 than over.  It happens.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think you'll be okay with just adding some more lower priced items to your registry. The more variety, the better. GL!
  • Add a ton of towels, or equally lower priced items.  Then, exchange them for higher priced items later on.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_did-mess-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:e67fc779-974e-4dd8-bb1a-d79bd1ab2f10Post:f8180cb5-9ffa-4e18-b0ab-c5536d2dc9d5">Re: Did i mess up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Add a ton of towels, or equally lower priced items.  Then, exchange them for higher priced items later on.
    Posted by adktd2boots[/QUOTE]

<div>Is this a real suggestion? That's awful and I hope that you wouldn't ever actually do that. Ugh.</div><div>
    </div><div>Don't add random tstuff just for the sake of adding it, if you have everything you want on your registry then let it be. That's what giftcards were made for.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Target has a VERY limited return policy, even for wedding gifts so cancelling the registry there was probably a good idea.

If people don't like what is on your registry they do have other options
    a) not give you anything at all
    b) give you something not on your registry
    c) give you a gift card or check

I wouldn't do anything different. They have options, there is no rule that says they have to get you anything and if they are giving you something there isn't any rule that says it MUST come from your registry.

• I don't think you did anything wrong. Just add more items that are less expensive. Also you could give guests the option of getting you a gift card to the store you are registered at.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • A lot of these registries have little price breakdown options that show you how many gifts you have in each price range. If you're really that concerned, take a look at how many gifts you have <$50. Increase the ratio there & that will give them more lower priced choices.
  • In addition to what has already been suggested, I would look at seeing if there is anything you can break down.  For example, your pot and pan set may be $300 together, but you can break it out and register for each individual pot and pan seperately to get some lower priced items.  
  • Thanks guys. Im going tot go to the stores and double check everything. Im actually relieved i got rid of target after you said that they have a limited return policy
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'd check your registry - if you already had a lot of less expensive items added and they are already fulfilled, I wouldn't register for other things you don't need just for the sake of adding more "stuff".  See where you can add cheaper items that you genuinely need.

If things are too expensive for people, they can either buy you a gift card towards that item, give you cash, or go in on a more expensive gift with other people.  My friends and I got together and bought a $500+ pots/pan set for our friend who got married.

If someone complains to you personally, I would just say that you and your FI really thought hard about your registry and put all the items that you really wanted on there.  I'd also say something like "Well, I'm sorry that you are having difficulty with our registry, but we only registered for the things we really needed and we don't have a lot of space for anything extra!  Don't worry about bringing a gift, I'm just excited that you are going to be able to join us for the shower/attend the wedding, etc."

Bottom line - don't feel bad for registering for the things you really wanted.  Your price range sounds totally reasonable.  Like I said previously, there ARE other options for guests to put money towards something you want, go in together for a gift, or buy you something off registry.  Just keep your chin up and don't let it get you down!
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_did-mess-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:e67fc779-974e-4dd8-bb1a-d79bd1ab2f10Post:addd622e-146c-46f3-b33d-96c92338b21f">Re: Did i mess up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did i mess up? : Is this a real suggestion? That's awful and I hope that you wouldn't ever actually do that. Ugh. Don't add random tstuff just for the sake of adding it, if you have everything you want on your registry then let it be. That's what giftcards were made for.
    Posted by Kokes28[/QUOTE]

<div>I never thought about doing this but it doesn't seem like a horrible idea although then you'd have to go through the  trouble of exchanging them and how many towels can you realistically register for? I would try to break some big gifts into smaller gifts like if you have a kitchen utensil set, register for some of the items separately. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Register for smaller things that you could use some new of.  Maybe a couple pretty (inexpensive) vases if you like to put flowers out.  Or a new lamp for your bedroom.  Towels can always be used.  Or maybe put new bathroom items on there, like all the cute shower curtains that match the soap holder and towels.  It doesn't have to be things you need to live really, maybe just things you want to redo a little for a new look.
  • Intentionally registering for things that you intend to return for cash is horribly tacky and that is why places like Target have made their return policy so awful.  They are tired of people doing this and they should be.  OP, please do not do this.
  • I totally disagree with adding more items at a lower price point. If you don't actually need the items why on earth would you register for them? I would keep your registery as you want it and if people do not want to spend a ton of money on an expensive gift they can get the idea to go in on a gift with other people.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards