Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Uncle/Niece dance

Help. My dad has not been in my life for awhile. My uncle has been my "dad" since I was in 4th grade. My brother and I moved in with my aunt and uncle and they raised us as their own. I still see my mom, by I feel like I have 2 "sets" of parents. My uncle will be walking me down the aisle. I also would love to do the "Father/Daughter" dance with him. I need help with song ideas! Songs like "Stealing Cinderella" just don't feel "right" but I also don't want to do "What a Wonderful World." Please let me know if you have some ideas!!

Re: Uncle/Niece dance

• If you are into country music give "Dance Baby Dance" by Chris Cagle a listen. That will be my father/daughter dance. Best of luck to you :)
  • I was in the same position. We used Somewhere over the Rainbow. The Hawaiian version.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_uncleniece-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:8381d5c7-b33e-48aa-ba5b-9e1de66c699ePost:bae70ff1-0c57-4129-a67a-33c4cbccdc41">Re: Uncle/Niece dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]"Somewhere, Over the Rainbow" is from "Wizard of Oz", and is about being trapped and held down by a dull life.  Dorothy sings it because she longs to get away from her boring life on the farm. I CRINGE when I hear it at weddings. Ask your dad if he has a favorite song. You can always pick an instrumental piece, and dance ballroom style to it. "Celebration" "We are Family" "Lean on Me" "I Hope You Dance"
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

You're taking it too literally.  There are lots songs out there with similarly unwedding like meanings that are often used.

I'm glad my wedding would have made your cringe.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My daughter surprised her dad with "You are so Beautiful," by Joe Cocker. That was the lullaby my he sang to her when she was a baby. It was a very sweet moment.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_uncleniece-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:8381d5c7-b33e-48aa-ba5b-9e1de66c699ePost:23271ce0-e73f-43a9-b39a-6d0a2569e318">Re: Uncle/Niece dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]My daughter surprised her dad with <strong>"You are so Beautiful," by Joe Cocker.</strong> That was the lullaby my he sang to her when she was a baby. It was a very sweet moment.
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]

That's lovely :)

However, do not use that as a first dance song, please. My parent's used it and their marriage ended in divorce and a permanent restraining order. Also, don't use teal for bridesmaids. But I digress...

I like "The way you look tonight" by Sinatra or "Isn't she lovely" by Stevie Wonder. What kind of tempo are you looking for? I hear "Unforgettable" is nice and so is "Because you loved me" by Celine Dionn.

I agree that "Over the Rainbow" is beautiful too :) Just like "Every step you take" (idk the title) by Sting/the Police. So what if it's about stalking, it sounds nice enough.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We danced to 'My Little Girl" by Tim McGraw (we cut out the part that says "he won't be good enough" though). 

• I'm always a fan of "My Wish" from rascal flatts!

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_uncleniece-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:8381d5c7-b33e-48aa-ba5b-9e1de66c699ePost:25e5247c-1e89-412d-8a8a-3e10c4aa7673">Re: Uncle/Niece dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was in the same position. We used Somewhere over the Rainbow. The Hawaiian version.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

Love that one!!

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is the singer. Don't ask me how I know that without even googling it, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I dunno if it's too father-ish but also "Butterfly Kisses" is a nice one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My dad and I are doing "time in a bottle" it's not especially father daughtery but he specifically requested it and he teared up when we practice danced to it (only the 2nd time I've seen him cry in my life) so it's the song we're doing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My father wanted to choose our song, and I completely approved of that, especially because he was a little hesitant about the wedding in the beginning. We'll be dancing to Steven Curtis Chapman's Cinderella, but its very Dadcentric. I've always thought Lullabye Goodnight, My Angel by Billy Joel would be a good song as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards