Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

don't really like cake

Hi,

My FI and I do not like cake, we don't even have cake for our birthdays.  We are having our wedding on a beach in Key Largo FL and we love key lime pie.  Is it ok to have key lime pie instead of cake? 

Thanks for any advice,

Nicol

Re: don't really like cake

• Well just like you and FI don't like cake, not everyone of your guests will like key lime pie.

My suggestion, have both.  This way your guests can have a taste of each or pick and choose what they would like to eat.  And maybe instead of a whole cake just do cupcakes.  This way you won't have to worry about cutting the cake and the leftovers are easy to pack up and give to your guests.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dont-really-like-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:ba02f43b-2e68-4877-972a-2bc85eda84cdPost:33ea2cdb-1dfc-473b-b964-b8653274a1fc">don't really like cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, Is it ok to have key lime pie instead of cake?  Posted by nicolhuff[/QUOTE]

HELL Yeah!  Just because something is traditional does not mean that it is required.  
  • I think having just key lime pie is fine, especially given the location of your wedding!  I personally don't see any reason to also have cake. If people don't care for the pie then they won't eat it just like if people don't care for cake. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2012
    I think more people will dislike key lime pie than will dislike cake.  Could you have some bite-sized brownies or mini cheesecakes as well, so that hopefully most guests will be able to find something sweet that they like? I think those would go well with the pie, too.
  • Thanks ladies, maybe I could talk my soon-to-be mother-in-law into making some of her "famous" Mexican Wedding cookies. 

Thanks again for the advice.

Nicol
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dont-really-like-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:ba02f43b-2e68-4877-972a-2bc85eda84cdPost:d003f22d-cdd9-4674-a2fc-4c469666f12f">Re: don't really like cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies, maybe I could talk my soon-to-be mother-in-law into making some of her "famous" Mexican Wedding cookies.  Thanks again for the advice. Nicol
    Posted by nicolhuff[/QUOTE]

I love, love, love key lime pie. But in my family and circle of friends, I'm in the minority. I agree that you are going to have far more guests that dislike the key lime pie than you will those that dislike cake. The idea of having a couple of options is terrific. That's what we're doing - kind of a dessert bar.

I would think very carefully before asking your mother in law to make cookies. How big is the guest list? How many cookies would she have to make? Even though they may be her "famous" cookies and something she enjoys making, that doesn't mean that she'll necessarily enjoy making enough for 200 people right before her son's wedding, especially if she's traveling to said wedding. If she offers, that is a different story. Maybe ask her opinion on doing a "dessert bar" and if she says, "that's a great idea, I can make my famous cookies" you're in the clear. If she says, "that's nice. Have you found a bakery?" you know that she would ratherjust enjoy the wedding than bake for it.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dont-really-like-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:ba02f43b-2e68-4877-972a-2bc85eda84cdPost:33ea2cdb-1dfc-473b-b964-b8653274a1fc">don't really like cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, My FI and I do not like cake, we don't even have cake for our birthdays.  We are having our wedding on a beach in Key Largo FL and we love key lime pie.  Is it ok to have key lime pie instead of cake?  Thanks for any advice, Nicol
    Posted by nicolhuff[/QUOTE]

you should do a cup cake tier or do key lime pie and cheese cake...
  • yes.....we are not in the victorian era...but if you can have minicupakes for the guests which you save you the cost...as dessert....i love keylime pie.... a cute tier pie....sounds beautiful

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards