Honeymoon Discussions

Europe!

Anyone else thinking of Europe? Know of any afforable package deals for June 2013?

Re: Europe!

• We're doing a cruise in Europe for our honeymoon.  It's this September!  So excited!!!  :)  Europe is great in June, but it will be hot.  I went to Italy in June and it was almost a 100 degrees every day.  You could do Amalfi Coast and it would be nice.  Good weather for beach time.  Cruising is a great deal.  We got an amazing deal with Royal Caribbean.  Check their prices and get with a travel agent.  They can watch prices for you and tell you when is a good time to sign up.  The only thing you have to watch for is the air fare.  Our air fare was more expense than the cruise!
  • Gate 1 Travel has prepriced tour packages at reseasonable rates.

Be ware that June is tourist season so it's likely to be more expensive
  • We went to Ireland for our honeymoon (and got married there). We got a bunch of good deals through our wedding planner for honeymoon stuff.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_europe-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:c3d273ca-3314-40a0-a16a-62e3059290abPost:b6bd7c05-2d50-4296-b904-d18d1f854112">Re: Europe!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gate 1 Travel has prepriced tour packages at reseasonable rates. Be ware that June is tourist season so it's likely to be more expensive
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

I've used Gate 1 and really liked them, especially if you want to see multiple cities and not have to worry about getting yourself and your bags from one place to another.  And the tour we took (Italy) had plenty of free time so you didn't feel cramped.

What about Southern Spain?  You could stay along the beach and there's plenty of opportunities for excursions to Seville, Granada, Gibraltar, Morocco, etc.   This trip doesn't need a tour since you could be based in the same location.
  • Don't do a tour!!!  Just do some research on your own and make your own trip!  For your honeymoon you'll probably want more flexibility and the ability to do whatever you want...tours are so rigid!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_europe-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:c3d273ca-3314-40a0-a16a-62e3059290abPost:921de0ef-198e-4012-a4a2-f99808d40a4b">Re: Europe!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't do a tour!!!  Just do some research on your own and make your own trip!  For your honeymoon you'll probably want more flexibility and the ability to do whatever you want...tours are so rigid!
    Posted by aloisk57[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with this advice. If you're nervous about planning your own thing, you can get a travel agent to help you book stuff. You might have a much better time sightseeing on your own schedule, plus then you can choose to do exactly what you want.
  • We went to London and Paris this past June and had a great trip. We booked our Airfare and Hotels through them. We did 5 nights in each 6 days in London 5 in Paris. We paid about $4500 for this and about 2-3k for the spending money.

What is your budget and where do you want to go?

You can easily plan your vacation through website such as Gate1 or Europeandestinations and it depends on if you want to do an actual tour that is organized or do it on your own. I do notice that when I am doing something on my own I don't get as much sight seeing in because as much as I plan and organize I am just unable to fit everything in and there is always that time when I feel lazy or it takes much longer than I anticipate to get to where we need to. So really it depends on what you want to do. If you have any questions let me know. :-)

• It's pretty easy to plan your own trip without a tour, you just have to decide what you want to see!
  • I've been to Berlin and Prague as part of an educational tour, and we did London and Edinburgh on our own. Going to a non-English speaking area and being in Europe for the first time... I was glad to be on a tour. But the second time, doing my own thing was really easy.

If you know any languages of the areas you are going to at all, you'll be pretty good. Also, try to stick with just 2-3 areas, depending on the length of your trip. For 1 week, you might want to stay in 1 city with a day trip or two elsewhere. For 10-14 days, I'd recommend 2 cities, such as London and Paris/Amsterdam, Berlin and Munich/Prague/Vienna, Rome and Florence. Take the train between cities - it's more convenient than flying. And get public transit passes (you can get them in advance, online) for each city you go to. We ordered Oyster cards for London and for 5 days, we put 30 pounds each on them, which ended up being close to perfect. (Oh, but if you go to Amsterdam, just rent bikes!)

In Edinburgh we did a day trip to the rest of southern Scotland - specifically a boat tour on Loch Lomond and a visit to Stirling Castle. If you go to London you can do day trips to Bath, Oxford, Stonehenge. But there's also a ton to do in London - we did Kensington Palace, the British Museum, the Tate Modern, the Tate Britain, the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, St. Paul's Cathedral, the Royal Academy of Art, a ton of restaurants we were eager to try... And we could have done more if we'd had more time!

I don't think trips to Europe are "relaxing" since there's so much to do, but it's the kind of vacation I prefer.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I went to London for 10 days over Christmas break one year.  It was fabulous.  A friend and I went together and made all the plans ourselves.  She did all the research on flights, lodgings, etc. We planned out the itineraries together.  The only hiccup was that everything was closed Christmas including the Tube.  Fortunately the family that ran the b&b where we stayed invited us to celebrate with them.  It was wonderful.  A travel agent and guided tour are not needed for a wonderful vacation.  I have found it is often just as nice (if not better) to go without a bunch of scheduled events and do what I want to do (and skip what I don't care to see.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_europe-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:c3d273ca-3314-40a0-a16a-62e3059290abPost:b8a7576d-564b-40dd-9091-9583a78679db">Re: Europe!</a>:
    [QUOTE]  Europe is great in June, but it will be hot. 
    Posted by chad+mel22[/QUOTE]
    Europe is quite big not all of it is hot in June.  I live in London and often wear a light coat most of the summer.  There were a few hot days last week and a few hot days in June this year.  <div>The Olympics were great for the most part in the 60s and 70s, it rained for most of June and the beginning of July this year.  </div><div>
    </div><div>OP I also would not go on a tour.  There are great deals at different places.  </div><div>Schools don't get out in most countries until July and the countries which do get a "summer holiday" don't do that until Aug for the most part.  </div><div>Portugal and Spain are fairly inexpensive.  </div><div>I love London!  Lots of places around England and the rest of the UK as well.  </div><div>Copenhagen is on my short list as is Prague.  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards