New York-Long Island

First Shopping Trip to Find a Dress

Any advice for somebody going on their first shopping trip for a bridal gown?  Can I take pictures of the gowns I try? What should I bring? Strapless bra? Shoes with heels? Going this afternoon any advice is much appreciated!

Re: First Shopping Trip to Find a Dress

• Bring pictures of dresses you like with you.  There's no need to bring shoes with heels - I tried everything on barefoot, because heels can damage the samples.  (The shoe thing really only matters when you're getting your own actual dress fitted, because then the seamstress needs to know your exact height to get the length right.)  I wore a strapless bra, and that seemed to work fine.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Thanks! That was incredibly helpful. Didn't even think about what the shoes would do to the sample. Clearly you know what's what. Our wedding is in September... hopefully this won't be a crazy hunt.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_first-shopping-trip-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:120Discussion:a6623400-8c17-4380-8741-d6c981921f5dPost:ecde3a93-8641-4f46-9202-f36499226c78">Re: First Shopping Trip to Find a Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks! That was incredibly helpful. Didn't even think about what the shoes would do to the sample. Clearly you know what's what. Our wedding is in September... <strong>hopefully this won't be a crazy hunt.
    </strong>Posted by ErikaS1784[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I think the only time a dress hunt becomes "crazy" is when the bride doesn't know when to stop.  There are literally thousands of beautiful dresses out there, and if you wanted to, you could look forever, so my advice is, when you find one you love, you need to just choose it and stop looking.  Also don't try on ANYTHING you can't afford - lots and lots of girls make that mistake, and then either blow their budgets on a crazy-expensive dress or end up hating the dress they do get because it isn't the super-expensive one.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Congrats! I just bought my gown! It was such an exciting experience. When I went I didn't need to bring shoes but they did advise to wear a strapless bra. Usually when you agree that you are buying the dress, most places allow you to take pictures. I also went onto the website of the store I bought by dress from and wrote down the style numbers. This allowed the woman who was helping me understand what type of style I liked. It took me no more than 40 minutes to decide/ find a dress. Good Luck!!
  • So that wasn't bad! Actually it was fun. I tried on a bunch of dresses and didn't find THE ONE but I did a lot of narrowing down. I never really thought about exactly what I wanted for a wedding dress so I guess I'll just have to play dressup a few more times until I find the one. I agree with the fact that it's only hard if you make it. My mom and I had a great mother-daughter moment at the bridal salon!  Thanks for all the great advice! 
  • I'm glad you had fun!! When I first got engaged me and my mom when for fun to a few bridal dress stores to try on some dresses. From there I knew what type of style best fit me. Good luck on finding your dress!! :)
  • My wife was pretty stressed but the folks at Fantasia Bridal in rockey point really helped her narrow it down. My biggest peice of advice is follow your own heart but listen to others opinions. They will be able to see if something looks funny.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards