June 2012 Weddings

Been MIA for ages.. been lurking and back with a question about registries!

Hey ladies,

I haven't posted in ages because life got in the way and I took a hiatus from wedding planning. March came along and it feels like I turned into a full time wedding planner! I started lurking to see what you were all up to, and I figured after a month it was time to start posting. I keep coming up with random questions and I have no one to ask!

We're having a smallish wedding with 60 guests invited, but I feel that there is still SO many little details to take care of. Kudos to you ladies hosting larger wedings. We've been getting there and slowly things are starting to fall into place. I'm kind of getting ridiculously excited :D!!!

My question today is about registering. FI and I are headed to do that this weekend (we've been putting it off because things have been so hectic and we live out of town). I'm at a loss about "how many" things to register for. With 60 guests (35 invites going out) and a bridal shower with about 20 guests, how many items should be on our registry? We've been together 8 years and have 2 children together, so we've got a lot of the things we need, but we could definitely go for some upgrades if our families want to get us any gifts. We're also saving for a deposit on a house right now, but obviously I would never ask for cash (awkward!!). I have no idea what to expect as far as who will even want to get us a gift, so how much should we put on the registry?

TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Been MIA for ages.. been lurking and back with a question about registries!

• The places you register will try and tell you to register for double the amount of guests. So for you, 120 items which is ridiculous especially if all you really need are some upgrades.

If I were you, I would only register for things you need or would like and let people either buy off-registry or give you money when things run out/it's out of their price range.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_been-mia-for-ages-been-lurking-and-back-with-a-question-about-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:46487e64-16a5-4733-878c-b9104dc05abbPost:bc35aa96-52b8-4916-9bc5-d541d02b1e66">Re: Been MIA for ages.. been lurking and back with a question about registries!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The places you register will try and tell you to register for double the amount of guests. So for you, 120 items which is ridiculous especially if all you really need are some upgrades.<strong> If I were you, I would only register for things you need or would like and let people either buy off-registry or give you money when things run out/it's out of their price range.</strong>
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]
    I completely agree with Jess on this. Only register for things you need, not because you have to meet a certain quota. We have 190 guests invited and are registered for 170ish.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's what got me thinking about how many to register for because they gave me a ridiculous number of 100+ items which I thought was wayyyy too much,

Thanks for the advice!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Welcome back!! How is everything going?

I agree with PPs.... register for what you need!
  • I agree. We are having about 100 people coming and are registered for far more than that, but a lot of it is all little things, like spatulas, and spoons and things like that.
    I know we won't get a lot of it because it's a small wedding, but we registered for what we needed.

First Look
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_been-mia-for-ages-been-lurking-and-back-with-a-question-about-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:46487e64-16a5-4733-878c-b9104dc05abbPost:3db5e1b0-db86-45b2-b2ae-6b6f65393384">Re: Been MIA for ages.. been lurking and back with a question about registries!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome back!! How is everything going? I agree with PPs.... register for what you need!
    Posted by chelseakopperud[/QUOTE]

Everything is going really well, most of the "big stuff" has been finalized (menu, photographer, officiant, etc) and we're working on the little details now. Invites will be going out mid-April for our June 23rd date and are almost complete! I'm just waiting for my envelopes and return address stamp to arrive in the mail! One of the only things I'm unsure of is a bridal shower. My aunts offered to throw one for me (so nice of them!) so I'm waiting for some kind of confirmation that it's still going to happen. If it doesn't, NBD, but it would be a nice reason for the family to get together!

Oh, and we booked our honeymoon location last week. 7 whole nights together! FI travels for work, so we haven't spent 7 nights in the same place together for almost a year and we've NEVER had that amount of time away from the kids. SO excited!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_been-mia-for-ages-been-lurking-and-back-with-a-question-about-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:46487e64-16a5-4733-878c-b9104dc05abbPost:1d909526-7b3a-402c-a629-fa324a48a8c2">Re: Been MIA for ages.. been lurking and back with a question about registries!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Been MIA for ages.. been lurking and back with a question about registries! : Everything is going really well, most of the "big stuff" has been finalized (menu, photographer, officiant, etc) and we're working on the little details now. Invites will be going out mid-April for our June 23rd date and are almost complete! I'm just waiting for my envelopes and return address stamp to arrive in the mail! One of the only things I'm unsure of is a bridal shower. My aunts offered to throw one for me (so nice of them!) so I'm waiting for some kind of confirmation that it's still going to happen. If it doesn't, NBD, but it would be a nice reason for the family to get together! Oh, and we booked our honeymoon location last week. 7 whole nights together! FI travels for work, so we haven't spent 7 nights in the same place together for almost a year and we've NEVER had that amount of time away from the kids. SO excited!!
    Posted by rasp.berry[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you have a handle on everything!!! Isnt it exciting that we are getting SOOOO close now!! WOO HOO!!!!
  • Where are you going on your HM? :)
  • I live in Eastern Canada, so we're travelling to Quebec City (which is about a 10 hour drive away) to stay in a chalet for the week. We've been to the city before and it's absolutely gorgeous so we're looking foward to being able to explore it a little bit more. Old Quebec is just about the closest you can get to Europe without crossing the Atlantic!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ugh, I'm so confused about this one...
    we are moving overseas a few months after the wedding, so basically, whatever stuff we have, we will have to leave it behind. Even the stuff we already have. We're taking two suitcases each and that's it.
    so now... people have gotten all excited about giving us stuff (no kidding, I guess I have really giving friends/family), but if they do, we won't be able to use any of it. In fact it will end up in FI's parent's storage until we return (in three years or so).
    how do I politely explain this to my guests? should I ask them to get us nothing or..? I'm so lost on this one...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Welcome back and congrats on the checks!
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_been-mia-for-ages-been-lurking-and-back-with-a-question-about-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:46487e64-16a5-4733-878c-b9104dc05abbPost:0c24842c-2edb-4892-8056-57d7873b3293">Re: Been MIA for ages.. been lurking and back with a question about registries!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in Eastern Canada, so we're travelling to Quebec City (which is about a 10 hour drive away) to stay in a chalet for the week. We've been to the city before and it's absolutely gorgeous so we're looking foward to being able to explore it a little bit more. Old Quebec is just about the closest you can get to Europe without crossing the Atlantic!
    Posted by rasp.berry[/QUOTE]

That sounds awesome!

Precamies, are you for sure coming back to the states? I wouldn't register for anything if I were in your shoes. Expect maybe some really nice suitcases. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards