Delaware
Options

Intro and Venue Question

Hi girls!  My name is Leslie and I am totally new to these boards and the whole wedding planning process.  I recently got engaged in April (2 days before our 2 year anniversary) when my then BF and I hiked 5 miles out into Shenandoah National Park and found a beautiful waterfall that he had secretly been planning on proposing at for months.  I am a UD grad living in the DC area while my FI, Mike, lives in Delaware, BUT I am planning on moving to the Newark/Bear area there this fall and can not wait to finally not be 2 hours apart from my FI who is truly my best friend and other half.  We are not sure exactly where we will have our wedding and are currently searching for venues for an October 2011 wedding.  (Hopefully we can get 10-1-11 because I just love the math of 10+1=11 for some reason!)  It might be in Maryland or it might be in Delaware so I will probably follow both boards.  I've heard really great things about you ladies from a friend who recently got married and I'm really excited to get to know you all :)

And for my first question which I'm sure you get all the time...can anyone recommend a venue?  We are really hoping for something outside, or at least to hold the ceremony outside and then go inside for the reception.  Right now we plan on 100-150 guests, but will probably end up with closer to 120.  We are more into the park/historic building atmosphere instead of a country club/golf course setting, but are really willing to look at anything.  We are also really open to different areas throughout DE and MD and have looked at 3 already- Swan Harbor Farm in Havre de Grace, MD, Brantwyn Estate and the Carriage House at Rockwood both in Wilmington.  Swan Harbor is currently my first choice, but it is a little pricey so we are trying to keep our options open. Any help would really be appreciated.  Thanks and sorry for the long post!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Intro and Venue Question

• Options
    khewesmccoykhewesmccoy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Christiana Hilton has a very pretty outdoor ceremony :) However, they are kind of expensive.

Also, Rockwood Gardens (maybe....I know it has rockwood in it, at least :) ) has a pretty outdoor ceremony, too :) 
  • Options
    Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

congrats on recent engagement and welcome to boards
    sorry I'm not from here niether therefore I can't help with venues

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!  I'm an old married knottie now, and sometimes lurk on here to see what's going on.

I got married at The Farmhouse (www.thefarmhousede.com) next to Delaware Park.  It features two outside ceremony locations, and a nice victorian farmhouse to have your reception in.  The only downsize is the size.  It says it can accomodate 125 guests, but it's more like 100 to be comfortable.  I had 101 guests.  Oh, and the dance floor is really small, but that wasn't a real concern of mine.  I absolutely loved it there, it was a great price, and it fit my personality to a T. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!  Congrats on the engagement!

I would also suggest you check out the Farmhouse; I was at Lura's wedding, and it was wonderful.  The ceremony site is in the gardens, and the hall in farmhouse is so charming!  The food is really good too.

I am getting married at the Executive Banquet, down on 896.  While it's not a garden area, it is very pocketbook friendly.  They include alot of things in your package.  They have a sister site in Kennett Square, called the Red Clay Room, and that one has an outdoor ceremony area.

Another one that I would highly encourage you to look at is The Stone Barn in Kennett Square, PA.  GORGEOUS facilities; it's an old converted barn.  They have several outdoor garden ceremony sites, all of which remind you of the secret garden.  The inside is beautiful; they have old huge rustic fireplace that is so charming.  And the food is outstanding.  We went to a wedding there, and said that if we hadn't already had booked the hall, we would have gone with this place.  They hold a Sunday Brunch every week, which would enable you not only to check it out but to also try their food, which is AMAZING.  Check out their website: http://www.thestonebarn.com/index.htm

You might also check out Wintethur, but I will warn you, anything with the name DuPont on it is going to be expensive. 

Those are venues I can recommend off the top of my head, but if you let us know your budget, I can come up with more.  Hope that helps, and welcoem again!
  • Options
    may37may37 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!! If you are willing to go a little further out of DE you can check out The Old Mill at Rose Valley. This is where I am having my reception but the ceremony will be in Wilmington (Right near The Carriage House at Rockwood if that helps you with distances). While I am not having my ceremony there I know that they do them frequently, outdoors and indoors. The space has a very rustic, historic feel to it. I loved the fact that I was able to have my cocktail hour outside while the actual seated dinner was inside.  If you have any questions about it let me know! And again, welcome!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all!  I will definitely look into these places!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lunakahlualunakahlua member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  Another outside venue to check out would be Delaware Center for Horticulture in Wilmington.  My friend just got married there and it was really nice.  http://www.dehort.org/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't been to Swan Harbor Farms but everyone says how beautiful it is! There is a bed and breakfast in Havre de Grace called the Vandiver Inn. They have a little garden you can get married in or a pavillion you can get married in. Then cocktails are in the house and they turn the pavilion in to the reception area. I am getting married at the Kitty Knight House in Georgetown, MD just south of Chesapeake City. I live in Bear and it is 30 minutes from me. I am getting married on the deck but you can also get married on the lawn - both overlook the Sassafrass River. Then the reception is inside the dining room. They also run the Granary just across the water but we liked the Kitty Knight because of the historic feel. And the price is affordable! The room seats 130 with a dance floor so would be a good size for you. Good Luck!!!!
  • Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards