Connecticut

Looking for Venue in Northeat CT or Southern MA

Hello All,

We are planning an October 2013 wedding and have guests coming from MA and CT- around 125. We are looking for venue recommendations and are trying to keep the per person price below $75. I know the community here has a boatload of information and tips and i'm excited to hear what you all think. The current venue list we have is:
Publick House (Sturbridge MA)
Tekoa Country Vlub (Westfield MA)
Ranch Golf Club (Southwick MA)
Tower Ridge Cuntry Club (Simsbury CT)
BlissFull Meadows
Old Sturbridge Village (Sturbridge MA)

Thanks Again for the help!

Re: Looking for Venue in Northeat CT or Southern MA

• Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    The only venue I've been to in that area is The Riverview in Simsbury. The venue is very nice and cocktail hour was delicious. 

My only complaints were that the food (they had a buffet) was lukewarm- it was good, just not hot. And at the end of the night, they started blowing out the candles and removing centerpieces before the wedding was actually over... still worth a look I think though. 
    Alot of girls on the board have been married there and had great experiences.
    imageAnniversary
  • I'm getting married at the Publick house tent next month. So far, the staff has been excellent and the tasting was great! I can give more info later when I do my vendor reviews. They also have a rustic indoor reception hall. You could also check out Connecticut national golf club formerly Putnam country club and Wright's Mill Farm in eastern CT. Or Salem Cross Inn and Zukas Hilltop in MA.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm getting married at The Riverview in Simsbury this November and have had a very positive experience so far. I have also been to the Ranch on many occassions and it is also a beautiful venue but I don't know their pricing at all.
    imageNovember 2012 November Siggy Challenge - Venue!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What about the Log Cabin in Holyoke, MA?
    Anniversary
  • I agree with PP to add Salem Cross, Zukas, and Wrights to your list.  Those are the three venues we looked at, and ultimately chose Salem Cross.  Zukas was beautiful - on top of a hilltop, and in October they do their weddings under a tent.  The Saturday night minimum is 150 though I believe.  It was a little pricey for us.  Salem Cross is in West Brookfield, which is about 20 mins from Sturbridge.  It's on 500 acres and beautiful.  We are getting married in their barn.  The pricing is great at Salem Cross.  Wrights is also rustic and beautiful, we didn't go with it because we didn't like the ceremony spots and it was also too close to home, in that we would probably go to weddings here in the future so it wasn't as unique.  Good luck!!!
  • **cantwait****cantwait** member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_looking-for-venue-in-northeat-ct-or-southern-ma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:7c4560b8-0a5d-4daf-be61-160f15c020bdPost:799be290-049a-4b21-9e9e-f82148e4dc84">Looking for Venue in Northeat CT or Southern MA</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello All, We are planning an October 2013 wedding and have guests coming from MA and CT- around 125. We are looking for venue recommendations and are trying to keep the per person price below $75. I know the community here has a boatload of information and tips and i'm excited to hear what you all think. The current venue list we have is: Publick House (Sturbridge MA) Tekoa Country Vlub (Westfield MA) Ranch Golf Club (Southwick MA) Tower Ridge Cuntry Club (Simsbury CT) BlissFull Meadows Old Sturbridge Village (Sturbridge MA) Thanks Again for the help!
    Posted by lberaldi[/QUOTE]

<div>Of your list, I would choose Old Sturbridge VIllage with Tower Ridge as my #2.  My list wouldn't include the Publick House or Blissfull Meadows for a few reasons but the first for both being that the Publick House is a blah reception - same old, same old.  I've been to 5 weddings there and every one is.the.same. Boring. The last bride (H's bffs) told us that she was getting married at the "wedding factory" when referring to the Publick House - I thought that was odd. BM is nice - but, WAYYY out there.  I've been to two weddings there. Typical golf club wedding.  Food was subpar at both and, although decent locations, there's nothing special about either.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I haven't been to a wedding at TR but have heard wonderful things about them.  I've been to a few events (one wedding in 2008) at Old Sturbridge Village and all the events were great.  The wedding, though, blew me away! Everything was amazing, the ceremony was there and the location was stunning. We are still talking about the food every time we see the family. All the personal touches were so nice.</div><div>
    </div><div>Zukas is also nice but, again, it's out there with minimal lodging nearby.  If the weather isn't perfect, everything about why you chose the venue is overlooked.  It get's an "eh" in my book.  You've picked some nice places - best of luck making your decision!</div>
  • I got married earlier this month in the Garden Tent at the Publick House and I would HIGHLY recommend it!  It was beautiful, the food was delicious (even better than their tasting!) and we got hundreds of compliments. The cake was amazing!  The customer service was top notch and they did everyhing possible to accomodate us and our guests and their grounds were beautiful for pictures.The only negative thing we heard was that rooms in the travel lodge were a bit dated but still clean.  I would defintiely recommend the Publick House!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_looking-for-venue-in-northeat-ct-or-southern-ma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:7c4560b8-0a5d-4daf-be61-160f15c020bdPost:7339c147-b03d-41cf-8c02-580f260c2db9">Re:Looking for Venue in Northeat CT or Southern MA</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married at the Publick house tent next month. So far, the staff has been excellent and the tasting was great! I can give more info later when I do my vendor reviews. They also have a rustic indoor reception hall. You could also check out Connecticut national golf club formerly Putnam country club and Wright's Mill Farm in eastern CT. Or Salem Cross Inn and Zukas Hilltop in MA.
    Posted by HeatherR45[/QUOTE]

Hi <u><font color="#0066cc">HeatherR45 ,
    </font></u>
    I am looking into the Publick House for my wedding. I'm planning it from AZ so it is a little difficult. I'm from CT and all my friends and family are there. Can you tell me about your experience with publick house? How did everything go? Which package did you choose?

Thanks!

Jamie
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards