Just Engaged and Proposals

Venues booked WAY in advance

Hi all- I just got engaged a few weeks ago, and we'd like to get married next spring.  But, I'm finding all of the "good" venues in my area (Mystic/New London CT) are booked well into Fall 2013!  Is anyone else having this experience?  Now we are having a hard time deciding between getting marrried in the spring at an "ok" place or getting married in the fall at an amazing location.  I'm not complianing....feeling lucky to have these choices at all.  But is anyone else shocked by how far in advance venues are booked? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Venues booked WAY in advance

• Yep. We are being married in a college town (even though neither of us went to school there), so the most popular venues were booked in summer 2013, and throughout football season 2013 (on away weekends; on home weekends, all the hotels are booked).
  • lulu4150lulu4150 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Congrats on your recent engagement!  I am partial to fall because that's when I'm getting married and fall in CT can be beautiful.  But if you really want a spring wedding I would come over to the local Connecticut board and make a post there.  I know some of the girls are in that area or getting married in that area and can give you some advice.  In the post I would mention where you've already looked at and know is booked well into Fall 2013.  Maybe someone knows of a fabulous place that you haven't looked at yet?  I'm not getting married in that area but it is a beautiful place.  www.mahanscatering.com
  • It's fairly common around here for venues to book up 2 years in advance.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • id012id012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Where have you been looking? Im from Ct we are fetting martied at madison beach hotel.. check them out
  • I'm getting married in DC, and was expecting places to have booked 1.5-2 years in advance.  Conveniently, I'm getting married in January, which is waaaaay offseason, so we booked a great place less than a year in advance, and I was pleasantly surprised that there was still space.  But if you want to get married April-October, yeah, that's not surprising.
  • Im in Pa and expected places as well as vendors to book 1 to 2 yrs out. Even my RD spaces is booking quick, I cant believe how quick some of these places go!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Congratulations! 

Popular and the better vendors are booked a year or more in advance all over the country. We booked our venue and photographer close to two years in advance (long engagement). Every other vendor we encountered was fine booking with a year or less time to go.

You have to make a decision. Is having a great venue of your choice more important then you initial date? You can always have a longer engagement (gives you more time to plan and do diy) or get married sooner. Both are good choices it is just up to you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited June 2012
    Congratulations!!

We set our date around 2 years after our engagement since we needed time to save money (we're paying for the whole thing).  We're getting married near where we're both originally from, Berkshire County, MA.  I only took into account places booking 1 year out though!  We already found our venue (an old estate which is now a bed and breakfast/hotel) , but they don't take deposits (you have to give them the full fee upfront).  We won't have that full amount saved up until about 14 months before our wedding date.  I'm hoping I won't run into the same problem!

Honestly, it all comes down to how you guys feel.  Try to see if there are any other venues a little further out that are free for your date but that you also love!
  • We booked a place about three weeks after getting engaged for that same reason. Our first choice venue only two had summer Saturdays in 2013 left to chose from so we ended up with a different venue that had more dates left.But even at a year and half out most places around us were booked up. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Oh boy, new to the whole planning thing, this will definitely give me something to think about! I would love to have ceremony/reception in Lake Placid, NY, (we live an hour north of there), so I guess now is the time to be calling around and getting prices/dates!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am running into the same problem! Everywhere that is popular where we live is already booked solid for the whole summer of 2013. We are planning a June 2014 wedding and originally we were going to wait to book a venue until next summer but we decided to book this summer so we would get the place we wanted. 
    Daisypath Graduation tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_venues-booked-way-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:6b4fdf05-6e7e-4c5e-a8e5-41372fff72cePost:cc598f24-232d-4dd7-87ae-e79392af916d">Venues booked WAY in advance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all- I just got engaged a few weeks ago, and we'd like to get married next spring.  But, I'm finding all of the "good" venues in my area (Mystic/New London CT) are booked well into Fall 2013!  Is anyone else having this experience?  Now we are having a hard time deciding between getting marrried in the spring at an "ok" place or getting married in the fall at an amazing location.  I'm not complianing....feeling lucky to have these choices at all.  But is anyone else shocked by how far in advance venues are booked? 
    Posted by saundeks[/QUOTE]

Now i'm REALLY worried. I want a wedding in Fall 2013..and I'm afraid to book too early in case something happens and we wont get our deposit back :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • julib33julib33 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    We will most likely be deciding and possibly booking this summer for our 2014 wedding.
    We want to at least look and decide this summer because we will most likely be moving to New Mexico soon and we are from, and want to get married in, Oregon.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_venues-booked-way-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:6b4fdf05-6e7e-4c5e-a8e5-41372fff72cePost:cc598f24-232d-4dd7-87ae-e79392af916d">Venues booked WAY in advance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all- I just got engaged a few weeks ago, and we'd like to get married next spring.  But, I'm finding all of the "good" venues in my area (Mystic/New London CT) are booked well into Fall 2013!  Is anyone else having this experience?  Now we are having a hard time deciding between getting marrried in the spring at an "ok" place or getting married in the fall at an amazing location.  I'm not complianing....feeling lucky to have these choices at all.  But is anyone else shocked by how far in advance venues are booked? 
    Posted by saundeks[/QUOTE]

I just booked my venue for Sept 28, 2013.  I originally wanted an Oct 2013 date and the date I wanted was booked.    It is insane, but I am glad I actually started looking when I did instead of waiting and thinking I had tons of time
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards