Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Using your name in a photo site URL without permission

This is my first post on the knot. I'm furious, so I am hoping to get the opinions and experiences of other brides. Or, better yet, if you are with a photography studio, please feel free to add your two cents. 

Here's my problem: I went to a bridal show a couple of weeks ago. As you do, I gave my name and contact info to several vendors, entered contests, blah blah blah. Since then, I have received emails from a couple of photo studios telling me that they have created my "Personalized URL" to view their site and packages. These URLs have my FULL NAME in it, and their websites do not require login credentials. That means these pages could appear in search results for my name. 

I find this to be an incredible breach of my privacy and sloppy usage of personal data. The ones that I have asked to remove the link have done so wtihout hesitation. But I can't help feeling like this is a terrible trend. Is this "how it's done" now? Really?

I look forward to hearing what others think about this. Thanks!

Re: Using your name in a photo site URL without permission

• Options
    What??? Ugh. We're all about privacy and not having our shtuff all googl-able. Are you kidding me??? If more than one photog did this than it's probably some silly trend they learned about a conference. 

Wait, are they basically saying that the only way you can see their pricing is to click on this link that they created without your permission? Way to go photog, you already ticked me off by not clearly listing your prices... now you're making me click a link that I didn't give you permission to create? Nice. My 2c.
  • Options
    Yeah, I got it from two photo studios. I don't even know if I can see their pricing or not. When you click the link it is obviously meant to be the place where your wedding photos will be viewed once you choose them as your photographer. The presumptuousness of it just irritates the heck out of me.
  • Options
    That'd p.iss me off too. I hope you explained in your emails why you were so upset, so maybe they get a clue and stop doing that! 
  • Options
    Is it perhaps via shootq? If so, then it is not public information, it is litterally a private portal for you to organize your services with that particular photographer.
  • Options
    As a studio owner, this is something we would NEVER do, regardless of permission. If a couple wanted a wedding website they could very well make their own. I would contact the studios and have your name removed from their list and ask them to take the sites down completely.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards