South Carolina
Options

DJ or Guitar Dude? I need your advice!

i'm posting this in a couple of places to get help...

So my wedding is in Hilton Head - ceremony on the beach at sunset, reception on the big outdoor deck of a quaint little place there (hamburger joint by day). Small group of 40 or so - all ages... from our parents, aunts/uncles to lots of teens and 20-somethings.

So i need a bit of music for a cocktail hour, then some nice background music during dinner, then we party.  Music has to stop by 10 due to the noise ordinance on the beach.

Our vibe is casual, fun, but nice. And i'd like for the party to be great. I'm thinking our crowd is the reluctant-dancer type... the type who need some drinks or encouragement to get out there. FI and I are not big dancers, but we love a good party. Fav music is like Dave Matthews Band or Daughtry plus some good alt and classic rock.

We are debating on getting a DJ - who could rock it out.  Or get a guitar/vocalist who would give us a beachier vibe... although i do *not* want the cheesy wedding singer type.  But does anyone dance at a reception/party that has a guitarist?

What do you think?  All opinions welcome!

Re: DJ or Guitar Dude? I need your advice!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My vote is for a DJ...instruct him to play fun music. After the second drink people will dance I promise :) It is my favorite time of the reception, photographically speaking.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd say for dancing go with a DJ. The guitar vibe to me is more sit around, drink, and relax while listening to good music.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    AdelphiTNAdelphiTN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes that's what i am thinking too. wonder if i can afford both? guitar for ceremony, dinner, dj for after?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked around greenville and a dj was going to be around $600-$700. A guitarist just for the ceremony would probably run $250 or less i'm guessing. I never hurts to call around and ask.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards