Massachusetts-Cape Cod

Does my Cape Cod dream venue exist?

I'm hoping someone who is planning or has planned a wedding here can help me.  I've known more or less what I wanted for my wedding for many years.  I'm actually not engaged yet but of course want to do some preliminary research so I can narrow down venue choices as I know these Cape Cod venues book up quickly!  Does this venue exist?

- 200 person capacity
- ideally the ceremony would be outside (grass or sand) with a reception tented
- bathrooms must not be port-o-pottys
- ability to bring in a caterer and own alcohol (my friends and family love to eat and drink!)
- water view.  I probably would take pictures at the beach anyway but would love some water at the ceremony!

I was originally thinking that renting a house of some sort (Sept or Oct so "off season" in terms of house rentals, I know that’s still in season in terms of weddings).
 I’ve also heard there are some sound restrictions in certain areas…would this mean I have to move the party inside from a tent at a certain time?

my parents have a house in dennis and so does my aunt so i would like it to be relatively close to dennis (within a 40 minute drive so not far upper cape)

any ideas?  ballymeade seems great except no tent - would 200 people be too squished?
Winslow Estate?
other ideas?
 Budget it TBD so any ideas are helpful at this point
thanks!

Re: Does my Cape Cod dream venue exist?

• http://www.pelhamhouseresort.com/

You should also try contacting some of the Cape caterers, they have listings for lots of great houses / venues.
  • I have looked EVERYWHERE on the Cape and feel like I am an expert now haha. I was having the same question, " does my dream venue exist?" I would have loved a tent but we quickly steered away from that since my fiance was worried about weather.

Also, I found it very difficult to find a place on the water/water views that would hold 200 people.  Below are some notes after MUCH research/looking at places....I was crazy haha. We JUST decided on Willowbend Country Club and could NOT be happier. It literally was the only place for our size wedding and everything we wanted that we couldn't find something wrong with. Every other place...I was like "I wish this was bigger, this was covered, etc." I didnt think much of it when I saw Willowbend online and then went to check it out and was SO surprised...knew right away it was perfect.

Wequassett - LOVE the outside ceremony lawn, but was afraid of weather. Great place for cocktails. The reception room felt VERY small to me...they kept telling me it held like 250 but there is no way. A friend just had a wedding there with 170 and the father said he felt it was tight. So ultimately for me it just was too small but I loved this venue and would have loved it for a 150 person wedding.

Wychmere - breathtaking, awesome room...although long and narrow and was concerned about the dance floor being too narrow. They have a very cool after party "bonfire" option. The minimums here were ultimately just too much for me and I didnt want to have to skimp out on other fun things. Minimum was $45K friday night and $50K Sat night. That can't include band and a few other things. But gorgeous if you can afford it!

Coonamesset Inn - Very cool, quaint inside reception room. Nice outside ceremony although its next to a busy street and I thought it was a little distracting. If it rains, have to hold ceremony in same room as reception and I didnt like that.

Sea Crest - VERY nice ocean view room, affordable. It was a bit too public for my tastes...bathrooms are the same that the hotel uses, etc. It felt hectic and I wanted something a bit more private.

Ocean Edge - Def big enough and has a LOT of options...amazing cocktail area with ocean views. Can have reception either in the big ballroom, out front in tent (no view) or tent down by their pool (no view). For weather, I was concerned where ceremony and cocktails would be help if it rained.

Winslow Estate - seriously amazing views and VERY private...we talked to the owner last weekend. However, you would have to end the event at 8:30/9 the latest and that wasnt happening for my family haha. Cost was around $15,000 to rent the house for the week (have to rent by the week) but people could sleep there...slept up to 19 people. That $15K does not include tent, catering, etc. He said it would end up costing around the same as Wychmere.

Crosby Mansion - I just didnt love it. we looked at it but it seemed like it was closed or run down or something...wasnt what we were looking for.

My parents also live in Dennis...we decided on Willowbend because it just had everything and had great rain options. We are getting married next Sept there. Its about a half hr from their house in West Dennis. I HIGHLY recommend it...its sooo elegant and Terry has been gerat to work with so far.

Any other questions, let me know. Like I said...I looked everywhere and found these boards really helpful in the early stages so I am just returning the favor :) happy to help!
  • I had my reception at the SeaCrest last year and LOVED it. The food was amazing, the price was great, and since it had just been renovated everything was nice and new. We were able to take pictures down by the water and because we were right on the beach we had pictures in the daytime, at sunset, and at night. I agree that having separate private bathrooms would have been nice, but with the SeaCrest the party can go as late as you want it to. We wanted to have a bonfire on the beach after our wedding, which was not allowed. However, we brought a volleyball net, ladder golf, and tiki torches and had a good time. You can't bring in an outside caterer or your own alcohol, but I will say the chef is awesome and the food is amazing. It will definitely accomodate 200. I agree with the above post for most of the information. I did not look at all of those places, but I did look at many. My only two additional recommendations of places to look (totally depending on budget because these are expensive)-- Chatham Bars Inn and Popponesset Inn. CBI--multiple options for locations of the wedding and reception. Some more fancy, some more casual. PI--you would have to check on size, but this is a permanent tent that is directly on the beach. Please let me know if you have any other questions about the SeaCrest..I love to helpout where I can!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_does-my-cape-cod-dream-venue-exist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:94Discussion:8375bf77-6635-48aa-9d1f-b07466381e0dPost:280896bd-9e34-4dd9-904c-5ce5b3711f62">Re: Does my Cape Cod dream venue exist?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have looked EVERYWHERE on the Cape and feel like I am an expert now haha. I was having the same question, " does my dream venue exist?" I would have loved a tent but we quickly steered away from that since my fiance was worried about weather. Also, I found it very difficult to find a place on the water/water views that would hold 200 people.  Below are some notes after MUCH research/looking at places....I was crazy haha. We JUST decided on Willowbend Country Club and could NOT be happier. It literally was the only place for our size wedding and everything we wanted that we couldn't find something wrong with. Every other place...I was like "I wish this was bigger, this was covered, etc." I didnt think much of it when I saw Willowbend online and then went to check it out and was SO surprised...knew right away it was perfect. Wequassett - LOVE the outside ceremony lawn, but was afraid of weather. Great place for cocktails. The reception room felt VERY small to me...they kept telling me it held like 250 but there is no way. A friend just had a wedding there with 170 and the father said he felt it was tight. So ultimately for me it just was too small but I loved this venue and would have loved it for a 150 person wedding. Wychmere - breathtaking, awesome room...although long and narrow and was concerned about the dance floor being too narrow. They have a very cool after party "bonfire" option. The minimums here were ultimately just too much for me and I didnt want to have to skimp out on other fun things. Minimum was $45K friday night and $50K Sat night. That can't include band and a few other things. But gorgeous if you can afford it! Coonamesset Inn - Very cool, quaint inside reception room. Nice outside ceremony although its next to a busy street and I thought it was a little distracting. If it rains, have to hold ceremony in same room as reception and I didnt like that. Sea Crest - VERY nice ocean view room, affordable. It was a bit too public for my tastes...bathrooms are the same that the hotel uses, etc. It felt hectic and I wanted something a bit more private. Ocean Edge - Def big enough and has a LOT of options...amazing cocktail area with ocean views. Can have reception either in the big ballroom, out front in tent (no view) or tent down by their pool (no view). For weather, I was concerned where ceremony and cocktails would be help if it rained. Winslow Estate - seriously amazing views and VERY private...we talked to the owner last weekend. However, you would have to end the event at 8:30/9 the latest and that wasnt happening for my family haha. Cost was around $15,000 to rent the house for the week (have to rent by the week) but people could sleep there...slept up to 19 people. That $15K does not include tent, catering, etc. He said it would end up costing around the same as Wychmere. Crosby Mansion - I just didnt love it. we looked at it but it seemed like it was closed or run down or something...wasnt what we were looking for. My parents also live in Dennis...we decided on Willowbend because it just had everything and had great rain options. We are getting married next Sept there. Its about a half hr from their house in West Dennis. I HIGHLY recommend it...its sooo elegant and Terry has been gerat to work with so far. Any other questions, let me know. Like I said...I looked everywhere and found these boards really helpful in the early stages so I am just returning the favor :) happy to help!
    Posted by CuseGal31[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>oh wow thank you sooo much!  i was just the MOH in my best friend's wedding last weekend and now i have weddings on the brain!  i do have weather concerns (i'm thinking sept or oct of 2014 like i said i'm not engaged yet haha)  i would love to hear all about willowbend.  i may harrass you for all the details and pictures.  congrats on the upcoming nuptuals!  sounds like you were looking for similar things to waht i want.  seacrest sounds great as well!

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_does-my-cape-cod-dream-venue-exist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:94Discussion:8375bf77-6635-48aa-9d1f-b07466381e0dPost:280896bd-9e34-4dd9-904c-5ce5b3711f62">Re: Does my Cape Cod dream venue exist?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have looked EVERYWHERE on the Cape and feel like I am an expert now haha. I was having the same question, " does my dream venue exist?" I would have loved a tent but we quickly steered away from that since my fiance was worried about weather. Also, I found it very difficult to find a place on the water/water views that would hold 200 people.  Below are some notes after MUCH research/looking at places....I was crazy haha. We JUST decided on Willowbend Country Club and could NOT be happier. It literally was the only place for our size wedding and everything we wanted that we couldn't find something wrong with. Every other place...I was like "I wish this was bigger, this was covered, etc." I didnt think much of it when I saw Willowbend online and then went to check it out and was SO surprised...knew right away it was perfect. Wequassett - LOVE the outside ceremony lawn, but was afraid of weather. Great place for cocktails. The reception room felt VERY small to me...they kept telling me it held like 250 but there is no way. A friend just had a wedding there with 170 and the father said he felt it was tight. So ultimately for me it just was too small but I loved this venue and would have loved it for a 150 person wedding. Wychmere - breathtaking, awesome room...although long and narrow and was concerned about the dance floor being too narrow. They have a very cool after party "bonfire" option. The minimums here were ultimately just too much for me and I didnt want to have to skimp out on other fun things. Minimum was $45K friday night and $50K Sat night. That can't include band and a few other things. But gorgeous if you can afford it! Coonamesset Inn - Very cool, quaint inside reception room. Nice outside ceremony although its next to a busy street and I thought it was a little distracting. If it rains, have to hold ceremony in same room as reception and I didnt like that. Sea Crest - VERY nice ocean view room, affordable. It was a bit too public for my tastes...bathrooms are the same that the hotel uses, etc. It felt hectic and I wanted something a bit more private. Ocean Edge - Def big enough and has a LOT of options...amazing cocktail area with ocean views. Can have reception either in the big ballroom, out front in tent (no view) or tent down by their pool (no view). For weather, I was concerned where ceremony and cocktails would be help if it rained. Winslow Estate - seriously amazing views and VERY private...we talked to the owner last weekend. However, you would have to end the event at 8:30/9 the latest and that wasnt happening for my family haha. Cost was around $15,000 to rent the house for the week (have to rent by the week) but people could sleep there...slept up to 19 people. That $15K does not include tent, catering, etc. He said it would end up costing around the same as Wychmere. Crosby Mansion - I just didnt love it. we looked at it but it seemed like it was closed or run down or something...wasnt what we were looking for. My parents also live in Dennis...we decided on Willowbend because it just had everything and had great rain options. We are getting married next Sept there. Its about a half hr from their house in West Dennis. I HIGHLY recommend it...its sooo elegant and Terry has been gerat to work with so far. Any other questions, let me know. Like I said...I looked everywhere and found these boards really helpful in the early stages so I am just returning the favor :) happy to help!
    Posted by CuseGal31[/QUOTE]

I second this! We also looked at all of the above and Willow Bend was the absolute best!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_does-my-cape-cod-dream-venue-exist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:94Discussion:8375bf77-6635-48aa-9d1f-b07466381e0dPost:760308c9-84c3-4a43-839e-fba02179833b">Re: Does my Cape Cod dream venue exist?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does my Cape Cod dream venue exist? : I second this! We also looked at all of the above and Willow Bend was the absolute best!
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

<div>Did you get married there?  did you look at the ballymeade by any chance?  from pictures they seem similar in the country club feel...</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_does-my-cape-cod-dream-venue-exist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:94Discussion:8375bf77-6635-48aa-9d1f-b07466381e0dPost:811d7f25-873b-4bc1-b40c-7686b4a34987">Re: Does my Cape Cod dream venue exist?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does my Cape Cod dream venue exist? : Did you get married there?  did you look at the ballymeade by any chance?  from pictures they seem similar in the country club feel...
    Posted by kiwikiss56[/QUOTE]

No, I was MOB and the Ballymeade was no comparison to Willow Bend.

Also, we rented out the suites (24) for the family at a VERY discounted rate.

PM me if you want more info.  I'm not usually on this board
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_does-my-cape-cod-dream-venue-exist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:94Discussion:8375bf77-6635-48aa-9d1f-b07466381e0dPost:811d7f25-873b-4bc1-b40c-7686b4a34987">Re: Does my Cape Cod dream venue exist?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does my Cape Cod dream venue exist? : Did you get married there?  did you look at the ballymeade by any chance?  from pictures they seem similar in the country club feel...
    Posted by kiwikiss56[/QUOTE]

<div>I had my wedding at Ballymeade and attended a wedding at Willowbend and I don't think they are that similar. Ballymeade was less formal, a little more of a blank slate decoration wise, and allows outside caterers. Willowbend was more formal, the room was bigger, and I think it's only their own caterer. Obviously, I prefered Ballymeade, but it depends what your style is. </div><div>
    </div><div>OP, I think the ballroom at Ballymeade is definitely too small for 200 people. I thought they did offer a tent option though. I wasn't interested in a tent so never looked into it.</div>
  • Look at the Bourne Farm... my cousin had his wedding there and it sounds exactly what you want... except for the fact that you have to bring in your own bathrooms... they brought in the fanciest port-o-pottys i've ever seen so it felt like an actual bathroom. It has a small body of water right on site, and you can bring in your own caterers, tent, everything. Beautiful location! Especially for late september-october.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Does my Cape Cod dream venue exist?:
    [Your Cape Cod dream venue exists at the Pilgrim Monument in Provincetown.  The Monument grounds has a striking vista view of the entire Cape Cod bay and shoreline.  You can hire your own caterer who will work with you to secure a tent and bartender.  The Monument lights up at night and it's amazing.  You can rent the grounds for half the cost of the average venue on Cape Cod and have an evening wedding all to yourself with your guests. 

The grounds are newly renovated and the restrooms are large enough to handle 200 guests.  The Monument has personable attendants to greet your guests and will assist you during the wedding.  There have been a lot of couples who have had the ceremony performed on the platform at the base of the Monument.  It's breath taking to watch the bay and town below.  Check out Pilgrim-Monument.org

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards