Students

Plus size bridemaids

Hello, Im getting married July 21,2012 and i have found a beautiful gown for my smaller size BMaids but i dont want to single out the lager BMaids i dnt know what to do i guess i must make them all wear long length gowns but its going to be soo hot in july im trying to go to school and work fulltime and plan my fiance and I wedding and care for my 3 yr old daughter UGHH stress and i have so much time but time fly's

Re: Plus size bridemaids

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_plus-size-bridemaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:3f67076d-8b3a-4a12-9f0c-21cc26d481fcPost:d3c0c3bf-dd23-43c7-8f2e-d5c2e957c456">Plus size bridemaids</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello, Im getting married July 21,2012 and i have found a beautiful gown for my smaller size BMaids but i dont want to single out the lager BMaids i dnt know what to do i guess i must make them all wear long length gowns but its going to be soo hot in july im trying to go to school and work fulltime and plan my fiance and I wedding and care for my 3 yr old daughter UGHH stress and i have so much time but time fly's
    Posted by JNstephney[/QUOTE]

It's way too soon to be picking out BM dresses. People's sizes will change, the style of your wedding could change, the date could change, budgets could change, etc.

Also, plus size brides don't all need to wear floor length dresses, but even so dresses come in all sorts of materials to make things less hot. I also really think you should pick out a dress that looks good on all the girls, or let them pick out their own (but as the same colour).
  • How many BMs are we talking here?  Have you spoken with the larger girl(s)?  What do they say about the dress?  Why do you assume they can't /won't wear it?

• ditto bren! Its WAY too early to be thinking about Bridesmaid dresses. You have over a year, you don't need to worry about this until you are 6-8 months away from your wedding date. You probably shouldn't have even picked a bridal party yet.

If you are super stressed then how about just giving your BM's a color and letting them pick their own dress that way you don't have to worry about it.

• I agree, it's too soon to pick dresses - I think it's too soon to have even picked bridesmaids, actually.

You definitely don't need to pick floor-length gowns, I'm not exactly sure where that came from.  I would just try to ask your girls to agree on a style together, and if it does wind up being a long dress I would keep the heat in mind and choose lighter fabrics.  Try to choose something that everyone is comfortable wearing - and agree on a price range BEFORE picking dresses.  You may also want to let them pick their own style, if it becomes difficult agreeing on a single style for everyone.   As PPs have said, you can just pick a color and fabric and let them choose.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • pick bridesmaid dresses whenever you want to, just don't order them until its closer to the wedding date that way people don't have to go on crash diets, or get their dresses seriously altered.
    I have a plus size bridesmaid, shes the only one, so I took her dress shopping and said, "I want my bridesmaids to match, but I want you all to look good. The other girls are closer to my bodytype so I know what looks good on them, but I'm not sure what looks good on you. Can you show me?"
    And she did, and laughed at me because I didn't say it in that polite manner I wrote I said something along the lines of, "All these stores sell clothes for skinny bithces, help me please!?"
    I found wonderful dresses that I have yet to order but have decided on, they are the dresses I wanted and will fit all of my bridesmaids beautifully.
  • I would wait on picking out BM dresses just because they may be discontinued, or you may change your mind by the time you move closer to the wedding date.  i would say that you shouldn't pick out your BMs yet either, but that ship has apparently sailed.  FWIW, my wedding date is almost a year before yours, and I am just now even thinking about BM dresses seriously.  I haven't even picked out my own wedding dress!  

Of course, as students, we're busy a lot, but at the same time, even for the busiest people it only takes a few months to plan a wedding.  If you're overwhelmed with school, work, and mothering, maybe it'll be good to just enjoy being engaged right now, and not worry so much about planning something that won't be occurring for more than a year and a half. 

Once you are closer to the date (like just a few months out), then look again at dresses.  If you are wanting the dresses to match, a number of BM dress designers, as well as places like David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo, have BM dresses that fit both smaller and plus sizes. I know that Alfred Angelo doesn't have a markup for plus sizes, either.  If you are only set on a particular color, fabric, and/or length, just give that specification to your BMs, and they can find dresses on their own that they are comfortable in and still look nice for your wedding.

I'm not understanding what you mean by your statement that "I must make them all wear long length gowns"...plus size doesn't necessarily equal long gowns.  Dresses are made for plus-size people in shorter lengths that look nice and classy, you just have to know where to look...I know, I'm plus-size and I don't own a long dress (I hate long dresses for the most part).  My MOH and one of my BM are definitely plus-size, and the other I think is somewhere between misses and plus, depending on the label.  They'll all be wearing shorter-length dresses.  So, please clarify.
  • ditto PP. ask your BM to help you pick a dress they like that will look good on them. I understand wanting to do things early, but I'd wait a while longer before buying anything - unless you just have the money to do major alterations when one of your BM loses or gains 100's pounds. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards