Getting in Shape
Options

Hello and a question

Hi! I'm new around here (I already checked in on the welcome thread). I get married in 93 days and yesterday I got on the scale for the first time in a LONG time and I wanted to cry.

I've been overweight for all of my life, so being "big" isn't something new, but I do want to feel beautiful on my wedding day. I'm determined to lose 30lbs before my big day! It's doable, I know it!

I've been signed up with Weight Watchers for awhile now, I just recently starting tracking again though. My biggest challenge is working out. I have plenty of time, I just need to do it. I have a really hard time working out when people are home with me (I don't want to look like a big ol' fat loser!). I get off work earlier then my fiancé, so that's not a problem, it's my sister. She's living with us and is always home. I just don't want to be working out and probably looking like a fool with her watching me. I'm not comfortable with that I know I'm not too flattering while I'm doing it. I would love a gym membership, I just don't have the money for that right now. We live in eastern Washington, so the weather does not allow me to go for walks right now. I'm stuck and torn.

Any advice or help I can, I would love it.
Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hello and a question

• Options
    Ok.  Slow your roll.  Losing 30 lbs in 13 weeks is PROBABLY *possible* but it's not probable.

Plus, you need to keep in mind that you will need dress alterations.  Once you start alterations (you shouldn't push your first fitting any closer than a month before the wedding, but you NEED to talk to your seamstress about it) you will not want to lose more than a few more pounds.  So you really have about 60 days, and 30 lbs in that amount of time is not healthy or likely.

And actually, your eating is going to make the biggest difference.  Working out will help, but may people lose weight just on changing their eating habits alone. So get going with that again.  Can you invite your sister to join you in working out, so you can look silly together?  Or work out somewhere where she's not?  (Like if you HAVE to work out in the living room, ask her to hang out in her room so you can have some privacy for a little while?)

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Or can you get up and do it before work, when she might not be awake?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    It sounds like you're just making excuses. If you really want to exercise and be healthy and lose weight just do it.

A lot of people say they don't want to go to the gym and be the fat person that people stare at, but guess what? No one is going to look at you/care the way you think they will (at the gym in particular people are WAY too focused on themselves to give two sh!ts about anyone else). Your sister isn't going to sit there and judge you beyond maybe a "good for her for working out". Stop using your insecurity as an excuse....even if she did, SO WHAT?

I also agree with PP saying that a change in diet would help a lot too.
  • Options
    I knew the whole you're making excuses thing was going to come up. I have worked out with her here and it's very uncomfortable for me. I'd go to the gym anyday if I had the money to get a membership.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    and what exactly makes you uncomfortable - does she make rude comments to you? Does she stare at you?
  • Options
    Yes or will laugh....I should just ask her to go to her room or brave the cold and take a walk....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards