Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

What to throw after your wedding

I am having a winter wedding and there will most likely be snow.  What is a good idea for the "exit tunnel" for people to throw or something like that.  Sparklers are out as people may burn holes in coats, the church does not allow bird seed, or rice...

Re: What to throw after your wedding

• Glitter. it will look amazing with the snow!
  • What if you could find fake snow to throw. That way it will be snowing on you on the way out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like the wands!!
  • Nothing.  Let your guests clap and cheer.  It's free, easy, eco-friendly, and not lame.  You don't have to get pelted with "stuff" to have a sweet moment leaving the church.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I would just go with Trix on this one. I don't really like the idea of people throwing stuff at me, especially stuff that could get stuck in my hair (glitter/fake snow) or all over my dress. Does your church charge a clean-up fee for stuff like that, I know a few in my area do.
  • Our green venue suggested grass seed, so that's what we're doing.
  • I've seen all the guests be given little bells to ring.
  • A church that doesn't allow bird seed etc, is not going to allow glitter either - and it does get everywhere.

But to answer your question:

Throw a reception, not stuff.
  • No glitter . . messy for guest, you and the no good for the environment either. I would go with the wands. They will look really nice in your color.
  • Snow balls :]

Just kidding, I agree with PPs who said to not throw anything. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_throw-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:bab09117-ba99-4363-8cce-009776a94472Post:ecc5f91e-c799-4281-bc19-d2d7a81919d8">Re: What to throw after your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]A church that doesn't allow bird seed etc, is not going to allow glitter either - and it does get everywhere. But to answer your question: <em><strong>Throw a reception, not stuff.</strong></em>
    Posted by skippylouwho[/QUOTE]

Oh man.  I love, love, love that skippy.  Please save that l'il bon mot for the next 200 times the same question gets asked.  =)
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I agree with the people who said nothing.   Several of the girls on my club board have mentioned that they regret having something thrown because it hurt, was hard to get out of their hair/dress, and they were making awkward faces in photos during the whole thing.  And as others have said, if you can't do bird seed or rice, you may not be able to do anything.  My venue didn't even allow bubbles, so check with them first.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I also agree with nothing. I don't want to clean up the mess that gets down my dress, if you know what I mean.

I am making flags for each of our guests to hold that say things like, "Yay" and "Congrats"

Kind of fun, IMO :o)
    Anniversary
  • why not have them jingle hand bells?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, my immediate thought was a reception.
  • I'm guessing if your church doesn't allow birdseed or rice they won't allow anything that ends up left on the ground (my church has the same rule).

Bubbles are pretty common these days; but I've read that bubbles will stain satin, silk, charmeuse, and who know what other fabrics - many said it doesn't STAIN per say, it comes out after getting a dress cleaned, but will leave little polka dots on the dresses in pictures.

You could do flags, bells, or just have people clap.  I am going to give out wedding bell clappers - like the bright colored plastic hand shaped noise makers.  I found white wedding bell shaped ones.  We'll give them out at the church for the exit and then people can continue to use them at the reception for the "clap for a kiss" tradition.
  • If you really want to do something, I would do clear bubbles (the prisms in the bubbles will look really cool with the snow) or having people ringing jingle bells...you could even do the clinking glass kissing game at the reception where people ring the bells instead.  But honesty, I say line the tunnle with twinkle lights and call it good! 
    We didn't even get a grand exit...to much of a party hostess that we stayed until the end to make sure everything got done.  Our wedding party ditched out early, so there were not many people left to clean up.  I hope you have an amzing day.
  • Mia2700Mia2700 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_throw-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:bab09117-ba99-4363-8cce-009776a94472Post:577e718e-2d57-4418-b2f0-bc34d2cfa867">Re: What to throw after your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've seen all the guests be given little bells to ring.
    Posted by SaraAndrew2010[/QUOTE]

This is what we did.  They were small bells with heart-shaped handles.  So many guests brought their bell to the reception and rang them to make us kiss all evening.  Loved it.  In our proofs you get a nice effect because people are excitedly ringing the bell and their faces are priceless!
  • i like the bells idea especially with it being Christmas!

Ditto on the bubbles - really messy and what if someone spills some on your dress?  Not good.

Same reason why there will be NO chocolate fountain at my reception...
    Anniversary
  • We're doing ribbon wands in 1 or 2 colors :) Makes for a great photo op!
  • Another option is ecofetti (http://www.ecoparti.com/toec.html).  You could get the white stuff so it looks like people are throwing snow.  Looks & acts like confetti but it's made of something extremely biodegradable, I think cornstarch.  It dissolves when it gets wet (snow, puddles) so cleanup in the snow would be really easy, just let it be and it will disappear.

• i second the bells. we are doing this on our 12/11/10 wedding  :)    GL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards