Military Brides

Doggie Advice

Hey there everyone!

Ask you know we adopted a pooch named Ike. He's great. We love him.

The one problem is potty training. He must have had a doggie door in his foster so now he CANNOT hold it. He is great about going outside if we leave our sliding glass door open but if it isn't open, he'll pee on the floor in front of the door.

We pay attention to him but he is sneaky and can get down there. SO I think he is potty trained (because he does go to the door) but it's ALL THE TIME. Like anytime he has the feeling of having to pee, he heads down there.

We have been keeping the door open. We don't want to crate because Geno hurts himself in the crate so we don't want to JUST crate Ike. We COULD get an insert for our sliding glass door tht has a doggie door but we will be PCSing in Jan.

Any advice??
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Doggie Advice

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How often is it?  If he is going more than usual, he might have a bladder infection or something, so you may want to call the vet about it.

If you don't wan to invest in a sliding doggie door insert, maybe you could just buy puppy pads to put down by the door for when you aren't home?  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I used to show and train dogs... mostly the client dogs were never potty trained and I had similar problems. I would get the dogs in a schedule, you know how longs he can normally hold it. Probably about 4 hours. Every 4 hours I would let the dogs out, but I would have them sit by the door *or something else, bark, jump on the door...whatever is easy (what your other dog does to signal he needs to go out would be best).  I wouldn't bring them in until they did their business, and while  I was initially training them I would watch them when they were outside.

It only took a couple of weeks before they realized that if they did their trigger I would let them outside.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Mind if I post a question about some needed doggie advice?
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    edited December 2011
    Go right ahead!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We have an 8 month old german shepherd - who is a great dog, really smart, and adorable. But.. recently she is starting to chew on things she never would think about before. We never had an issue with her chewing on trim, clothes, rugs, - just one shoe and a pair of panties and that was it. She has TONS of chewie toys and dog toys. Everytime I've caught her chewing on my rug - it's been when we are gone - thats the only thing she chews on. I bring her to it, tell her 'NO' and say Naughty dog. But.. she continues. Any advice?? Also any advice on getting them to eat their food? Sometimes she wont eat her breakfast until like 11pm.
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

amh- We have a shepherd too. Have you tried Kong toys? I freeze bananas and peanut butter and it gives him something to do.

About the food- Geno did that for a little. We added so yogurt to his dry food and he ate it. He just wanted a little different flavor.

Hope that helps!

imageBabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    For the chewing I would probably crate her or block her off into a certain room, like the kitchen, where she can't harm anything.

For the food situation, you're going to have to mean in your own eyes, which will probably make you feel really bad, because it made me feel really bad.  Whatever amount is determined for her to eat, you have to put it down and only leave it for half an hour.  After an hour, pick it up and don't put it back down again until her next meal.  At the next meal, feed her the normal amount you would, and again pick it up after half an hour if she hasn't eaten it.  

I had to start this with my dog a few months ago as a diet, and I felt horrible when I had to pick up his food after the morning.  I even stretched it to 40 minutes with no luck.  I even called the vet to ask what I should do if he doesn't eat his dinner then, and they said just to pick it up still, and that he is fine to go one day without food if needed.  But I put his dinner down and he gobbled it right up, and I have never had a problem again with him eating immediately.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for everyones responses.

Follow up questions...

If we did invest in a doggie door, would we be able to use it on base. I know it won't necessarily be a sliding glass door but if we have a fenced in yard and regular door, would we be allowed to use a doggie door? Or is it different on every base?

If the concept of the doggie door works, then I'd be happy to get one. I just worry that we wont' have one when we PCS and it will defeat the purpose.

Does that make sense?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    I think it would depend on the base and the housing you're in.  I would love to put one in our current house but we don't have a fenced in yard, or really any yard.  We fully intend to get one when we buy a house though.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'll try doing a combination of both - adding a little yogurt and picking it up after 30 minutes if she doesn't eat it.
    Hike - She loves the Kong Toy's - I put peanut butter on the inside of it, but I haven't tried freezing it. She's figured it out super quickly though, and it keeps her busy for maybe 5 minutes? She gets peanut butter chewie's like 1x a day and a rawhide (natural) twist stick 1x a day too - and I have a basket full of toys. She also loves water bottles. I just don't why it's just that rug.. It's hard to block things off in our house.. our kitchen, dinning room, and living room is one big room - I could try and find a long gate and block her off from the front hallway since that's where it's at - but I have a feeling she would just jump over it.
  • edited December 2011
    Hike- I know this sounds strange but is there something like a bell that you could put next to the door so if he brushes it there will be a noise that way you could know when he is around the door?  A friend did that with her pup and it worked great.  I mean the dog didn't ring it but the bell stuck out enough that the dog hit it when is was next to the door.  Also could you use a baby gate or something to keep him in the room with you and then take him out every so often?  I know that would not work when you are at home but I have to baby gate mine or they get into all kinds of trouble. 

Amh- does the pup have a kong?  I love those things.  I would put peanut butter in it and then freeze it.  It makes it hard enough that it will take the dog awhile to get all of the peanut butter out.  Also try other toys that you have to put treats in.  I my dogs will do anything for food.  As far as eating, I know this sounds bad but I never leave food down for the dogs.  If they do not eat it then I pick it up.  They will get it when I feed them next time.  One of our dogs had an issue not eating because his food was always left down.  Now that we pick it up after awhile that seemed to solve the issue. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thought I'd post a cute picture of her - to prove she isn't always just a rotten dog :) 

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_doggie-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:0b01270a-29fd-4c2e-a51b-0857694da2f7Post:442ac701-0e27-4aaa-bb03-1279d2b3f7f4">Re: Doggie Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used to show and train dogs... Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]

me too!!
    There is so much info on this post I don't feel like I need to contribute.. but I just wanted to say that.. :o) haha.. My mom still shows in agility, confirmation, and obedience. I miss it.
  • edited December 2011
    oh also, "no" doesn't work on dogs... Or it does very very rarely. it's a common word we use, so they associate it with a lot of things. Even because they hear it when your friends says, "would you like this? " and you answer, "no". The Shepard just isn't going to recognize that.. it's all about positive reinforcement instead of negative (I know it's weird that "no" is considered "negative reenforcement" )
    Agreed on the kong toy. Any working, herding, sporting dog has a non-stop ticking mind. They need to be kept on their toes or they will run all over you. The kong toy is a great tool for that because they  have to figure it out (and they will no problem), but they only get a little at a time, so it won't fatten them up too fast ;) Also, the kong toys that just have a hole in the bottom are great for putting peanut butter in. And elk antlers are expensive but last forever and dogs LOOOOVe those suckers. 
    If you are REALLY worried about the rug, this is a little unconventional.. but if there is a specific spot that the chewing is taking place, put just a tiny bit of tobasco sauce on it. It will hit the nose and the dog will NOT like that at all. While I don't always suggest this because it counts more under the "negative", it's not abusive to the dog, and then the dog learn his/her own way, rather than you getting frustrated.  Don't put a lot.. the nost is incredibly sensitive, but that's why this technique works. It's also a last resort.

Thank god for peanut butter :P
  • edited December 2011

She will do anything for peanut butter - I'll have to look for the antlers :) And I'll might have to try the tobasco sauce, it's only on one side of it but she's pretty much ruined it - I don't want to get a new one and have the same issue.

I second the thank god for peanut butter - I don't know what we would do without it. Especially with how much she loves it.
    And they are insanely smart dogs! What would you suggest for a subsitution for 'no'? Thanks for all the wonderful advice btw!!

• edited December 2011

The most common word used instead of "no" is "leave it" That is specific and you rarely use that in every day conversation, so she can associate that MUCH better than no. Say leave it (sternly), push her nose away and then "omg what a good girl!!! yes you are!!! yay!!!!!" She will soon figure out that you are praising her when she stops chewing on that rug, and you get excited when she listens, so she will want to please you in that way.

• edited December 2011
    We use "leave it" is they are chewing on something and "drop it" if they have something they are carring like a sock. 
  • edited December 2011
    Great - Thanks First! I'll definitely start using that instead.
  • edited December 2011
    cool. :) we also use "ah-ah!" which is sharp and harsh sounding but you never make that sound to people so that works well too :)
    haha crown.. "drop it" with socks.. story of my childhood right there.. I never had matching socks growing up :P
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_doggie-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:0b01270a-29fd-4c2e-a51b-0857694da2f7Post:9ea59615-f824-4f75-ab1b-1e82b5cdcabc">Re: Doggie Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]cool. :) we also use "ah-ah!" which is sharp and harsh sounding but you never make that sound to people so that works well too :) haha crown.. "drop it" with socks.. story of my childhood right there.. I never had matching socks growing up :P
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

Haa!  I have no idea what the deal it but they love socks but they only chew the toe part out.  HA!!
  • edited December 2011
    Our border collies will pull the socks off your feet for you when you get home.. isn't that sweet... ;)  haha
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_doggie-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:0b01270a-29fd-4c2e-a51b-0857694da2f7Post:137a7144-b28b-45be-a94d-5f64b0d9e88d">Re: Doggie Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our border collies will pull the socks off your feet for you when you get home.. isn't that sweet... ;)  haha

HA!!! It must be the border collie.  I have a border collie mix and she will do almost the same thing.  Oh and she is really sneaky and get stuff out of the hamper and then hide under the table.  If she is caught she try to hide whatever it is she has with her paw and her expression "is like what, I don't have anything."
  • edited December 2011
    hahahahah I love it! They are WAY too smart for their own good. One of ours LOVES planes. Dogs aren't even suppose to notice things that high in the sky!?!?!what a dork :)
  • edited December 2011

Yes, they are way to smart for their own good.  She will get down the "border collie" pose when a car is driving down the road like she is going to herd it or something this why she is always on a lease. 

• edited December 2011
    hahahahaha I love it!! Our dogs do that to the cat. She just wacks them. :P
    edited December 2011
    So we have a plan. I'm going to gate off the basement and actually walk him out to the back yard every few hours until we get the routine. I think he just keeps smelling his pee down there and thinks it is okay. No more easy basement access :-)
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    smart move
  • AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_doggie-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:0b01270a-29fd-4c2e-a51b-0857694da2f7Post:e69776e3-96a3-4494-bbf7-30beabdc9b4a">Re: Doggie Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doggie Advice : me too!! There is so much info on this post I don't feel like I need to contribute.. but I just wanted to say that.. :o) haha.. My mom still shows in agility, confirmation, and obedience. I miss it.

Awesome! It is such a strange activity I hardly ever find someone that shows dogs. What sort of breeds?  I mainly did beagles and other like hounds, mostly in conformation and juniors (waaaayyy back then). I haven't shown in a couple years or so but my old junior dog still loves to show off, so when I get really stressed out with life I love to pull out his old show lead and play around in the back yard. He has been out of the ring for around 5 years and he still remembers what to do.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    We have shown Weimeraners and Labs way back (like ten years ago) but now just border collies. It's a breed we've fallen in love with now so we've stuck to it. :]
  • edited December 2011
    if you dont want to use tobasco because it can stain use cayanne pepper because you can vacume it up - works for digging too because it gets on their nose when they dig and it has stopped every one we have ever had at the fence line escape. Other then that I feel i have nothign to add haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards