Eco-Friendly Weddings

wedding favor alternative - Donations

Hey, I'm going to do this for my wedding in 3 months for a wedding favor.  I just want to spread the word and maybe you can check it out to see if it's right for you.

Oxfam, a great charity organization, does wedding gifts, registries, and favors.  We're doing the favors for our guests.  You donate money that goes to developing countries (teaching women, starting community gardens, goats and chickens, planting trees and orchards, buying gardening tools and seeds, getting clean water... lots of great stuff).  You can tell them how many guests you have at your wedding and they'll send a small card for each guest that says, "In place of a wedding favor, ****** and ***** have donated money in your name to help ______ (Insert the cause you choose to donate too)".

I'm really excited about starting our wedding off on the right foot and it fits in perfect with our theme - gardening!  We're donating money towards seeds, gardening tools, and planting fruit trees.  I'm not trying to sell anything, I just think that this is a great idea!

Re: wedding favor alternative - Donations

• What a heinous reply... We're also thinking of doing this. Your heart is obviously in the right place and if it's a reflection of you and your soon-to-be husband, then all of your guests will appreciate the gesture. I think serving gourmet food and providing drinks for an evening are a sufficient way of thanking guests for celebrating with you. It's also a great way to spread awareness and remind people that connecting and giving back can be more satisfying than a material token. Thanks for the link and best wishes for a lifetime of charitable acts!
  • I think it is a great idea. I sure would rather something that is going to help someone rather than some little trinket that just clutters my house or more food after I just ate a lot of food. A day after i will have forgotten about or thrown out the little trinket but I would remember a donation besides it is neat it tells me about the bride and groom and what they are interested in. NO I didn't do this for my wedding because they didn't do it so I gave some little trinket that cluttered peoples junk drawer. Janet
  • I've been thinking about this as an option. My grandmother died of many smoking related issues, and alot of my fiances family cant come to the wedding because of MS and other issues. I think it would be nice to do a small donation in lieu of MAJOR useless and tossed out favors (ie, candles, wtuff with our names on it) because I know the weddings I go too, I either throw it away once I get home, or dont even take it. There is also the option of letting them grab some of the decorations such as vases or baskets, and take them. they'd get something they chose, and it would be usefull. 
  • We are doing a donation as well. I have chosen Heifer International, a non-profit that you purchase animals from that they donate to 3rd world families. A portion of the animals product, i.e milk from the cow must be in turn donated by the receiver therefore expounding upon the original donation, the cow. We are also doing a donation of 10% of all cash gifts the the smae non-profit. At the reception the guests will be able to write down what animal they would like us to buy and then in the thank you letters we will annouce which animla got the most "votes". We are also wearing Toms shoes, a company that donates a pair of shoes for every pair purchased. Here are the websites: www.toms.com and www.heifer.org.
    ~Soon to be Mrs. Medeiros~
  • I have been to a wedding where the favor was a donation. Honstly, it is the only favor that I remember besides my best friend's wedding, which I was maid of honor for, and helped to pick. It is a wonderful idea and your guests will thank you for not cluttering their home. Remember, it's your day. If you want to "give" donations- give donations. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla- everyone's different!
  • If you want money donated, ask that guests donate money in your name instead of registering for gifts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards