Wedding Reception Forum

Alternating tablecloth colors?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a very informal rustic country wedding, and I had an idea the other day that I might alternate the tablecloth colors instead of having just one color. I tried searching for any images of weddings set up similarly, but couldn't find anything to my satisfaction. My  colors are the following: (given the embedding works)

<div style="text-align: center; width: 190px; overflow: hidden;" /><a href="http://www.nearlyweds.com/wedding-colors/my-palettes/299703"&gt;Wedding&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div title="Wedding Nearlyweds Palette" style="background-color: #ffffff; border: 1px solid #cccccc; height: 34px; width: 180px; margin: 3px 0; padding: 4px; clear: both;"><div style="background-color: #ff99b3 !important; float: left; width: 24px; height: 32px; margin: 0 2px; border: 1px solid #dddddd;">&nbsp;</div><div style="background-color: #ffff99 !important; float: left; width: 24px; height: 32px; margin: 0 2px; border: 1px solid #dddddd;">&nbsp;</div><div style="background-color: #c1cbd6 !important; float: left; width: 24px; height: 32px; margin: 0 2px; border: 1px solid #dddddd;">&nbsp;</div><div style="background-color: #8f5d2b !important; float: left; width: 24px; height: 32px; margin: 0 2px; border: 1px solid #dddddd;">&nbsp;</div></div><div style="clear: both; font-size: x-small; text-align: right; width: 190px;">

What I really want to do is have three different cloth colors: a flat buttercream, pale pink, and baby blue - preferably in either a cotton or polyester material. And then I plan to tie them all together with matching burlap table runners, beige napkins, and table decor. I thought I might layer the tables as well so that the main three colors were on top, with a neutral matching skirt (either ivory, beige, or tan).

Anyway, my question is: do you think this will look tacky? I really can't find any good examples of this kind of set up, which suggests it's not very popular, and I'm afraid it looks better in my head than it will in reality.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Alternating tablecloth colors?

• Ah, I had a feeling the embedding wouldn't work. The colors are basically as stated before: buttercream, pale pink, and a dull baby blue with brown accents.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think that will look great. I think it's smart to keep whatever is ON the table the same - napkins, runners, etc. And maybe stick to monochromatic flowers/whatever your centerpieces are to really tie them together and to keep things from being too mismatchy.
  • Im thinking about doing different color table cloths too, but it different shades of purple. I think what you are planning sounds beautiful. I agree with Leisel though to keep the table decor the same so it feels harmonious.  
  • What you described (with the unifying elements of what's on the table and maybe the base color cloth if you use the different-colored overlays) sounds lovely.  Rustic without being too kitchy.
  • I am seeing lots of brides mentioning their cheap bridal wedding dress second dress or after party dress, some of the pictures are cheap bridal wedding dresses just beautiful. I hadn't really considered this. I am wondering  bridal gown wedding dresses how many bees had a second dress or would have liked to and why.
  • We are doing different color tablecloths as well, and mixing tables up, where some just have runners and some have tablecloths. I love the eclectic look! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing two different color table cloths and the plates and cup color will alternate as well. I think it is a great and fun idea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't care for the alternating look.  It makes the room look choppy.  It sounds like you will have a lot going on with buttercream, pink, blue and the tan from the burlap.  I think your decor would look a lot more harmonius with buttercream tablesloths and burlap runners.  I'm afraid that pink and blue would look more like a baby shower than a wedding.
  • I'm with Peavy! That's a beautiful idea for a baby shower, not a wedding. 

Stick with the ivory/buttercream only and do all the layering with the beige and burlap. That will look rustic. Add some votive candles in mason jars, or lantern centerpeices, and use some lush hydrangea florals (any color). 

Keep it simple and if you want to layer color then stick with one color family (i.e. warm colors or cool colors). 

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_alternating-tablecloth-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:ba1bf437-df48-4ad7-b9db-13e423eee179Post:b0bbfdd7-1f85-475d-a1c2-72b7113d26a9">Re: Alternating tablecloth colors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't care for the alternating look.  It makes the room look choppy.  It sounds like you will have a lot going on with buttercream, pink, blue and the tan from the burlap.  I think your decor would look a lot more harmonius with buttercream tablesloths and burlap runners.  <strong>I'm afraid that pink and blue would look more like a baby shower than a wedding.</strong>
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

This is immediately what I thought too! 
  • I think the problem is not with the concept of alternating per se but with the pink and blue colors, as PPs have said.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards