African American Weddings

What format is your new name going to be in?

How are you changing your name (if you are changing it)?

FirstName  MaidenLastName  HubbyLastName
or
FirstName  CurrentMiddleName  HubbyLastName

or

FirstName  CurrentMiddleName  MaidenLastName-HubbyLastName

We will be getting our Marriage license soon and I need to make a decision...
My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
Created by Wedding Favors
Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!

Re: What format is your new name going to be in?

• edited December 2011
    FirstName MaidenName HisLastName

I hate my last name and I'm traditional so no hyphen for me.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Good question and this is something that I really need to bring up with my FH. 
    We have talked about it in general conversation but not in earnest.

I am pretty sure that he wants me to take on his last name only but I have always had the mindset to hyphenate my maiden name with his last name because, honestly, I have so much stuff I would need to change over. 

It would really be a pain to deal with if I don't hyphenate BUT if my FH really wants me to use his last name only, then I will do that. 

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• edited December 2011
    First Name  Maiden Last Name  Hubby's Last Name
  • edited December 2011
    I am doing... FirstName  CurrentMiddleName  HubbyLastName

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • LSASLSAS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing FirstName  CurrentMiddleName  HubbyLastName.
    Anniversary
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Darn! Everyone doing what he wants me to do! LOL! :-(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
  • msapril0730msapril0730 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing FirstName MaidenName HisLastName!

I wanted to keep my middle name but it would make my name too long! My FI doesn't care as long as I'm taking his last name
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    FirstName CurrentMiddleNames HubbyLastName. I have 2 middle names I'm not trying to add another name to fit to applications and my middle names flow with my first name, so it's bye-bye Maiden Name.
    Anniversary
  • hatroopeshatroopes member
    edited December 2011
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Firstname Middlename hubby's Lastname !!!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    First Name---Current Middle(2)---Keep my last name

or

First Name--Current Middle(2)--Hyphenate

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• edited December 2011
    First name, current middle name, hubba hubba's last name!!
  • edited December 2011
    Can I do:
    First name  middle name  last name and then his last name...And just socially go by:
    First name middle  name last name  his last name...???
  • EsquireJLEsquireJL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want:
    FirstName  MiddleName  MaidenName   HubbyLastName
    or
    FirstName MiddleName HubbyLastName

FI wants (for professional reasons):
    FirstName  MaidenName HubbyLastName

I still haven't decided yet what to do. It may just come down to what sounds  and looks better to me (I know kind of shallow)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I would like this way

FirstName  MiddleName  MaidenName   HubbyLastName
    With no hyphen

He would prefer
    FirstName MiddleName HubbyLastName

Either way our children will have his last name

YasJas2011 - I think you could do that. I would think when people talk to you they would call you Mrs HisLastName anyway.   
  • edited December 2011
    I've established myself professionally already so I really don't want to change my name. However, my husband to be is a traditional Trini man so we've compromised with the hypen. The children will have my last name as their middle name.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_format-new-name-going?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:739cec9a-d61c-497b-9799-744382be3543Post:aa8bd48f-198c-4430-990a-2d4ad8de67ac">Re: What format is your new name going to be in?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FirstName CurrentMiddleNames HubbyLastName. I have 2 middle names I'm not trying to add another name to fit to applications and my middle names flow with my first name, so it's bye-bye Maiden Name.
    Posted by flasweetheart[/QUOTE]

This exactly.  It's already a mouthful saying all 4 names, so to add another one will just be overkill.  I've always liked my last name, but sadly I have to let it go.  Our first born child will have my maiden name as a middle name anyway, no matter if it's a boy or girl. 
  • msktn95msktn95 member
    edited December 2011
    First name middle name and hubby's last name.  he is so traditional, he does not believe in hyphenated.  He states the man leaves home and takes a wife and they become one, how can we be one if I am still holding on to my last name.
    Follow Me on Pinterest image image BabyFruit Ticker
  • halfpin21halfpin21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_format-new-name-going?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:739cec9a-d61c-497b-9799-744382be3543Post:75bc7794-62cf-4078-92b8-30f0802528a4">Re: What format is your new name going to be in?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can I do: First name  middle name  last name and then his last name...And just socially go by: First name middle  name last name  his last name...???
    Posted by YasJas2011[/QUOTE]

I think you can do that (without the hyphen).  I've seen that before. 

I'm doing FirstName CurrentMiddleName HubbyLastName
  • sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First name current middle name current last name hyphen his last name. FI hates it but as long as i go by his last name then he doesn't care but I love my last name and I am established so it is just easier!
  • edited December 2011
    FirstName MiddleName Hubby's Last Name I wanted it hyphened but that would be a mouth full with his long last name  
    Graphics Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    I'm doing first name, current middle names, hubby's last name.  I like my current last name, but I think it's more so because of the fact that I've had it all my life and it kind of flows with my first and middle names.  My dad and I aren't very close so it's not really a sentimental thing to keep it and I already have 2 middle names, so keeping my last name would be too many names.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Well I am currently

Firstname Middlename Middlename Maidename- Maidename  ( already hyphenated) I wil be doing

Firstname Middlename Middlename Maidename-Maidename- HubbyLastname

informally I will be

Firstname Middle Middle Maidenlastname- Hubbylastname

I decided to keep my names because all of my degrees and published works are under that name
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_format-new-name-going?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:739cec9a-d61c-497b-9799-744382be3543Post:75bc7794-62cf-4078-92b8-30f0802528a4">Re: What format is your new name going to be in?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can I do: First name  middle name  last name and then his last name...And just socially go by: First name middle  name last name  his last name...???

I would do that
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm gonna do first name, middle name (passed down in my mom's fam), my last name-hubby's last name. I'm hyphenating cause I sound like an old person with my first name & hubby's last name....lol.

However, at times I can go by my last name & other times I can go by hubby's last name.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    FirstName  MaidenLastName  HubbyLastName

Im not too thrilled about my new last name but I must keep my maiden name somehow. All my nicknames are from my last name so im going to make it my middle.
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    I have no idea! Yell

I know that I am taking his last name, no hyphen. It's what he wants. I'm fine with that. However, I cannot decide if I want to drop my maiden name or my middle name. I'm a daddy's girl but my middle name is my mama's first name. So... I'm leaning towards:

Legally: FirstName MiddleName MaidenName Hubby'sLastName

Socially: FirstName MaidenName (Initial) Hubby's LastName

But I still have a couple weeks to decide.

YasJas - Does Georgia make you decide just to get the license?! Surprised
  • edited December 2011

Officially I'm First Name, Middle Name, Maiden Name, His Last Name, but I go by First, Maiden, His Last, or First and His Last. So yeah you can do it that way. My social has all 4 of my names, but my license has First, Middle Initial, Maiden, His Last. I didn't hyphenate anything.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards