Students

School/Wedding Question

Hello ladies!

I am going to possibly be starting grad school very very soon and want to know how you all are handling the school and wedding work load? My FI and I feel confident that everything will be fine because we have so much wedding stuff done. I just am a little freaked out that I may be getting in over my head. I know there never will be a perfect time to start grad school because life happens and there will always be some form of distraction calling my name.

Any tips/advice/been there done that knowledge is greatly appreciated!!

Amity
Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image

Re: School/Wedding Question

• Right now I'm in my last semester of school.  In the fall I will begin student teaching and in December I will graduate with my elementary ed degree.  I also work full time.  We decided to get married in August, 2 weeks before I begin student teaching.  This semester has been tough, juggling work, wedding and school so here's my advice:  Get as much done during breaks as you can!  Spend your summer break/Christmas break setting up appointments, getting your dress, having showers.  I got all of the big things done over Christmas break so now I don't have much to do until summer, when I won't have classes.  Stay organized and remember, the wedding planning should be fun - use it as a stress reliever!  There are days when I stress about the wedding, but I would have those days even if I wasn't going to school.  You can juggle both and will do fine.  Have fun and good luck!
  • I'm doing it, and it's a little stressful, but not unmanageable.  I'm a schoolteacher who takes two classes a week and works two side jobs (probably only about 4-6 nights a month).  I'm planning my own wedding in my parents' backyard and doing all the rentals, food, desserts, DIY invites, DIY centerpieces, DIY veil, etc... It's been stressful at times, but not impossible, and I'm happier that I'm closer to being finished.. It has made the engagement fly by which is great because I'm so impatient about getting married... and it's given me something else to do/think about so that I don't focus solely on my wedding 24/7.

If you're worried, try just taking one class and see how it goes.
    image 180 Invited
    image 160 are joining in!!
    image 17 are missing out!!
    image 3 are late to RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • I'm juggling school, work and the wedding at the same time. This is partially why our wedding is not until Summer 2012 (right after graduation). We go to school full time, work at least 20 hours a week, and we juggle the weddings on weekends or breaks only. Don't let it interfere with your academics. That's just me though. I usually keep everything written down or in a folder. Also rip things out of magazines that I like for general inspiration.
  • Thanks for the advice ladies! I dont know why I'm freaking out about it! I worked full time while I completed my bachelors degree, so I know I can do it! I too want to use school to take my mind off the wedding and to help the time go by faster. It flew by last time I'm school so I'm hoping it will fly by again this time!

Amity
    Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • It certainly depends on what you're going to grad school for.  (I worked full time while getting my BS, but psychology and human-computer interaction came easily to me)  Med school was much harder...
  • Prioritizing and delegating. I think that's the only way I've stayed sane this last semester!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • lin0442lin0442 member
    First Comment
    I don't usually post on this board, but my wedding is in 5 days, 200 miles away, and this is my finals week. I wouldn't have planned it this way if we had a choice, believe me, but it's definitely doable. The bulk of the wedding planning went fine over the breaks (they are your best friend!), but definitely leave the last month/2 weeks of planning free of your school time! I know I'm kind of a wreck this week, but same as always, you do what you need to get done, and have a wonderful wedding after a heck of a semester.
    Aaaand I need to go confirm with the florist and return to my immunology paper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards