Connecticut

Well, that's an issue I never heard of...

Apparently you need your parents' names to apply for a marriage license in Connecticut (or maybe just Groton?).  My FMIL has been married several times, so I emailed her to ask for her legal name (since I wasn't sure what was legal and what was just social use).  She apparently doesn't even know her own legal name anymore - she isn't sure if her middle name is FI's last name (her ex-husband's) or the middle name she was given at birth.

I'm getting a good old laugh out of this, because I don't assume they'll actually check up on it too far, and I'm going to use what she's used on her tax forms so the government has accepted it before... but wouldn't it be a funny story to tell our future children, "Daddy and Mommy's marriage was declared invalid because Grammy couldn't remember her own name"???!!!

What's the most unexpected and unusual issue you've come up against in wedding planning?

Anniversary

Re: Well, that's an issue I never heard of...

• Ha! It's always the little things. When we got back from the HM, I had a voicemail from the town clerk that they "had some questions" about our marriage license. I was paranoid for 10 minutes until I finally got the lady on the phone- she just wanted to confirm DH's social security number. 
  • That is so strange, I know they require your parents names and birthplace with mother's maiden name as well.
  • They basically just require the info that appears on your birth certificate. Doesn't have to be the current legal name... and I think you're required to have copies of your birth certificate anyway to get the license.

I actually had an issue getting my birth certificate in Groton because my step-mother tried to pick it up for me. My biological mom is deceased, and both my moms happen to have the same first name... instead of just asking for ID they asked my step mom where she was born to confirm her identity... stepmom didn't know the "correct" answer.
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_well-thats-an-issue-i-never-heard-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:9ff0e85c-c412-410c-9728-4f64da730f37Post:2aa29389-f72d-4edb-9e54-22e852c60d71">Re: Well, that's an issue I never heard of...</a>:
    [QUOTE]They basically just require the info that appears on your birth certificate. Doesn't have to be the current legal name... and I think you're required to have copies of your birth certificate anyway to get the license. I actually had an issue getting my birth certificate in Groton because my step-mother tried to pick it up for me. My biological mom is deceased, and both my moms happen to have the same first name... instead of just asking for ID they asked my step mom where she was born to confirm her identity... stepmom didn't know the "correct" answer.
    Posted by maggieandrey[/QUOTE]

Connecticut (or at least Groton) does not require a birth certificate for anyone over 18 years old. 

Anniversary

• Don't stress too much about it.  Jeremy doesn't actually know his father's birthplace (they aren't in contact) so he just picked the town he knew he'd lived in.  We told the clerk and she said "just do the best you can".  And she said we didn't have to put our social security numbers on.  I think the info is more for their database than actually going on the license.  I don't remember seeing it there when she gave us the proof to double check but I'd have to look again to make sure.  And for mother's names, it was name at birth so they'd have the maiden name.  So at least when we testified that the info was true, we'd told her we weren't positive first!
    8/12 March Siggy- reception venue!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • We didn't need a birth certificate to apply for ours either, just our licenses.
  • I love your dog calindi.
    abc
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards