Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Wording for donation sign

My fiance and I are having a very small wedding. It is just our immediate families so we think it is not necessary to give out favors. We will be having a candy bar for everyone to take home some treats for the evening. We would like to put up a sign at the table about the donation we are making. We will be giving money to a local veterinary practice that provides low cost surgeries to animals in need. We know all too well how expensive pet surgeries can be and want to make sure that no one has to lose their pet because they can't afford surgery. The problem is that I can't think of any wording that can tie the candy and donation together without sounding completely cheesy. Does anyone have any ideas?

Re: Wording for donation sign

• Options
    Just quietly make the donation, no need for a sign. You shouldn't feel the need to announce it to your guests, and favors are never necessary.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    Here is my suggestion:

We Donated to a Charity!
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wording-donation-sign?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:5675512d-90be-407b-b193-4287678f692aPost:277a95c0-eb39-4fb2-987c-cda6b05abb49">Wording for donation sign</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are having a very small wedding. It is just our immediate families so we think it is not necessary to give out favors. We will be having a candy bar for everyone to take home some treats for the evening. We would like to put up a sign at the table about the donation we are making. We will be giving money to a local veterinary practice that provides low cost surgeries to animals in need. We know all too well how expensive pet surgeries can be and want to make sure that no one has to lose their pet because they can't afford surgery. The problem is that I can't think of any wording that can tie the candy and donation together without sounding completely cheesy. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Posted by qtrican[/QUOTE]

<div>The reason you can't come up with good wording is that there is no good way to tell other people you donated.  No matter what you say, it comes off that you are bragging or patting yourself on the back.  </div><div>
    </div><div>If anyone asks about favors or donations, you can tell them.  Otherwise, keep it to yourself.  It's no one's business what or how you contribute to charity, and it certainly has nothing to do with the candy at your wedding.</div><div>
    </div><div>If your goal is to get other people interested in your charity, consider doing some sort of fundraising for them (hosting a dinner, helping organize a 10K, selling cookies, etc.)  This has nothing to do with your wedding, and shouldn't be mentioned in connection to the wedding.</div>
  • Options
    i have seen it at serval wedding-may be more popular in NJ.

But some people have put 
    " A donation has been made to ChairtyX in honor of john doe" (like if a family member is the reason u have donated to whatever cause)

or just

"A donation has been made to Charity X"

these though have been on tags that go with little chocolates 

that being said we will be doing a donation and will not be announcing it-
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Liss1485Liss1485 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have seen them at many weddings, and I never thought anything was wrong with it.  A friend of mine donated to a local animal shelter and left information out about how to adopt or donate to the shelter on a table next to where everyone left the gifts.  The sign was simple and it had a picture of them with their dog next to it.  It just said "In lue of traditional favors we have chosen to donate the money we would have spent to "X" animal shelter, if you would like information on how to adopt or donate yourself please pick up a brochure" and they also had a basket of dog treats and little baggies for people with animals to take home.  I loved it and so did everyone else.  My FI and I will be doing the exact same thing.

Kudos to you for donating and wanting to get the word out so other people can follow in your generous footsteps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Birthday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards