Kansas
Options

NWR: Relo to Wichita?

My bf and I (not engaged yet) are looking at a job for him in Wichita. Neither of us are familiar with the city. Can you recommend neighbhorhoods or suburbs that are nice? We don't need a bar scene (no condo in Old Town necessary). In fact, we would like at least 2 acres and some privacy. We are okay driving 20-30 minutes to get to shopping, restaurants, work, etc. BF will be working near the main airport on the southwest side of town. I work for myself so I won't have to worry about commuting.

We've heard Andover, Goddard and Derby are nice. Any thoughts on Maize, Haysville, Rose Hill or Valley Center? Can we get a decent sized lot within Wichita city limits or are lots typical city size - 1/4 - 1/3 of an acre?

Our house budget will be $250-275K. We could go higher if we found something we loved. We do not have children so the school district is only important for resale purposes.

Thank you!

Re: NWR: Relo to Wichita?

• Options
    lauraf1202lauraf1202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome, welcome to Wichita!  I've lived in here for the past 3 years now, so hopefully I can help you out a bit.

Do you mind my asking where you are moving from?  I'm not trying to be nosy.  I'm asking because I'm originally from Seattle, and a 30 minute commute was mostly due to traffic.  In Wichita (or KS in general), a 30 minute commute is going to be because of distance.  And that was shocking to me, and made a huge difference with wear and tear on vehicles and exhaustion and such.  So I did just want to point that out, in case you're city girl aerospace transplant like me. If not, I'm sorry! Ignore me. :)

For the rest of your questions:

Lots tend to be typical city size within Wichita city limits, particularly in older neighborhoods.  But in the older neighborhoods you have mature trees, where in the newer developments you do not. 

All of the suburbs you named are nice, save Valley Center.  VC is unfortunately come to be notorious for a lot of drug problems.  Maize is known to be one of THE school districts to get into-- so for resale value its fantastic, but of course that means housing prices are high. 

I'm quite fond of Derby.  I don't live there, but we have some friends that just built on 5 acres.  They're somehow in the country, yet five minutes from grocery shopping/Target and all that.  Derby is a good mix of country/city living.  There's a lot of nice housing, the schools are great. 

Andover is ok too, its just a little bit more... sterilized.  Its seriously housing development after housing development.  And they've all been built in the last 7 years, and every house in the development is a variation of mauve, and each house is built off of the same floor plan.  It freaks me out a bit. 

Anyhow.  Let me know I can help you!  Feel free to PM me.  :)  

• Options
    paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Thank you Laura! Awesome advice!

I wondered that about Andover after looking at the houses - they all. look. the. same. I can't deal with that. We'd rather have an older house with some character.

We're in town this weekend so we'll drive out to Maize and Derby. Thank you for the advice on VC - sounds like something we should stay away from.

I'm sure I will be PMing you with more questions.

And THANKS again!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Howdy, welcome to the air capitol city. 

I've lived in Rose HIll & Wichita all my life and can help you out also if you need. 

There are a lot of nice developments on the west side of Wichita, Like PP said Maize is a great place. My FI, and his kids are hopefully going to be moving there within the next year or so. 

Growing up near Andover, yes the houses are pretty similar, but I would reccomend Andover before Derby. Derby is nice but known as a snobby place to live, where as Andover is a lot of Drs and executives. 

Back to Maize, there are a lot of new developments springing up there as it gets closer and closer to Wichita. You will be able to build the type of house you want and be within 15 minutes of all the shopping, restaurants you need. New Market Square is on Maize road and has all of the usual places. The airport would be more of a drive but not near 30 minutes.

Most of Wichita is pretty set as to housing, there aren't a lot of new developments around, but you can find some great deals on nice houses. In fact we have one of the best housing markets in the country right now. With your budget you will be able to get pretty much what you want. The norm for middle class housing is around 120k (from what I've seen). So you are in good shape. 

If you need anything else or if PP can't answer any question you may have you can PM me also. Be happy to help. 

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    80 image Invited to celebrate!
    58 image Will be attending
    17 image Won't be having any fun
    5 image Can't Find their mailbox
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you AJ!

We looked at a few houses around Rock Rd and Webb Rd, I think around 21st or so? Between 21st and the turnpike maybe? They seemed nice - established neighborhoods, mature trees.

We also looked out in the country - Goddard, Derby, Hayesville, Rose Hill. We need to decide what type of living we want - residential area or more rural. I'm pretty flexible. My bf wants more space so we might end up out in the country. It seems you can be "out" but still only be 15-20 minutes from restaurants and shopping.

I will be back with specific questions, I'm sure! Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kansas_nwr-relo-wichita?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:92Discussion:1f91cc9b-d40f-4e8f-95bc-c15afe657591Post:f3d778cc-2456-4a50-a5a0-90013e132c70">Re: NWR: Relo to Wichita?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It seems you can be "out" but still only be 15-20 minutes from restaurants and shopping.
    Posted by paintgirl[/QUOTE]

This is so true, Wichita is really unique like that. :) Thanks for the update, I was actually just wondering how your trip went!  Glad you guys are getting along in the process pretty well.  Good luck in your house hunting and, again, let me know how I can help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Laura! I'm so torn on this. He also has an opportunity in DC. I've lived in DC before and wouldn't mind moving back, but I'm not sold on moving back. Twenty minutes can be two or three miles in DC. :) I was thrilled with the lack of traffic in Wichita.

We expect a formal offer sometime this week. He should know more about the DC job next week. Then it will be decision time! We're pretty sure he'll get at least one offer, but the third option is to stay where we are. Sigh. I'm hoping not. :)

I'll keep you posted and be in touch with more questions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you looked around Rock and Webb then you looked near where I live. I live at Harry and Rock. The area you were looking at is a very good place to live. I love it! 

Being from RH I can tell you that there are a lot of nice houses but there is no highway access, and the town is divided by railroad tracks making emergency services hard to get at times. Just something to keep in mind. 

Glad you enjoyed your trip and passing good luck to your FI. What sort of work is he in?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    80 image Invited to celebrate!
    58 image Will be attending
    17 image Won't be having any fun
    5 image Can't Find their mailbox
  • Options
    ashmi11ashmi11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One of my best friends is from Haysville, and from what I know of the area it is very nice with some newer developments, and also a little more rural, so attaining your desired acreage should be easy!

I also have friends from Derby and Maize, they are both nice places to live!

Within the Wichita city limits, properties will be more urban, and neighborhoods are fairly established. From what I've seen, lots are on the small side.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks gals! We are about 90% we're going to take this position and move to Wichita. And now I have cold feet. So quick! Tell me what's great (or even good) about Wichita! :)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People are so nice here.  Seriously.  I come from Seattle, and then briefly Kansas City which are also known as being nice and friendly cities, but I am continually amazed at how friendly and kind people are in this place.  We had a big storm a month or so ago, and all around the city you saw people helping strangers out of ditches and parking lots. 

It's also very easy to get around... There's really no such thing as traffic out here; its fantastic. 

Cost of living is so LOW!  Gas prices, housing prices, food, college, you name it... you can save a lot of money living out here. 

Don't get me wrong; it was an intense culture shock.  It still is sometimes.  You really kind of are in the middle of nowhere.  But the money we save by living out here enables us to take pretty great trips back home to Seattle, or to other places.  It really isn't too bad of a place to live.  :)   
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Laura! I keep telling my bf that - we might be living in the middle of nowhere but we'll be able to afford good vacations and the company he is going to will actually allow him to take vacation time. That's a big change from his current job! Our overall quality of life will be much better there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards