Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Wedding Cupcake/Cake Pricing?

FI and I stopped by a fairly new bakery called Sweets Bakeshop in St Paul to buy cupcakes to try. They are really good but had some questions on their cost. Cupcakes for weddings start at $2.75/cupcake and wedding cake slices start at $5/slice. What are your opinions on their pricing? We've just started to look into bakeries so I have no clue how much we should be expecting to pay for dessert. Thanks!

Re: Wedding Cupcake/Cake Pricing?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That seems like an awful lot to me.  We are getting our cupcakes from Queen of Cakes for .95 per cupcake and they are really good.  I think their cakes are much cheaper as well.  I would highly suggeset Queen of Cakes!!!
  • Options
    kristigileskristigiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would agree...that sounds like an awful lot for cupcakes.  You can definitely find good cupcakes for less than that, just keep searching!
    August 14, 2010 image*PLANNING* *MARRIED*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess it depends on your preference, but Sam's club has awesome cake and cupcakes. THey have 30 cupcakes for $12. The only thing is they only do vanilla or chocolate so if you want something fancy your out of luck. I'm getting mine there because we are having a chocolate fountain, so that will be the main dessert, but I know some don't like chocolate, so want to have an alternative option for them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are paying $3.75 per slice for cake with basic decorations, but we can bring in ribbon and/or flowers and they will place them for us. Cupcakes would be $1 cheaper. I would keep looking if I were you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LinzstyleLinzstyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For sure....keep looking!  We are using Grandma's Bakery in WBL.  Again, nothing super fancy for us, but they are about 1.10-1.50 per cupcake.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    leahluleahlu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can definitely find cheaper.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using Gateaux, Inc. Our cake is 3 tiers, will feed between 90-120 people and we paid $1550. If you're looking for a truly amazing work of art that tastes uber delicious, check out Robin and Gateaux!

Good luck!
  • Options
    kkaew816kkaew816 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I'll keep looking!
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The question really is what are you getting for the money.  A cupcake is about half the portion of a slice of filled wedding cake, so you should be paying less because you are GETTING less, OTOH, Gateau you're getting more time into the cake and design involved (aka work of edible art), so it's an issue of what are you getting for the money on that end too. 

That's not bad but it's also not great, their cupcakes aren't at the same level as a Sam's trucked in frozen cupcake for example.  The bakery is probably baking fresh, which takes ingredients, time, and talent to a greater extent.  Sam's also won't deliver and set up the cupcakes for you at your reception site which the bakery will, so again, when you're out and about getting quotes, "what are you getting for the money"... 

Keep looking, that's not to say that they won't be your final choice, but it's good to compare the options you've got available.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards