Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Food Allergies-You want to charge more?

I have worked in hotels for 6 years planning corporate and social events, including weddings.  When my wedding rolled around, I felt like I knew the right questions to ask of our venue who is doing the catering.  I specifically asked about food allergies and if they could be accommodated.  Sure, no problem-of course.  When we planned the menu we selected a buffet and immediately brought to the attention at least one food allergy we are aware of.  The venue offered to plate that persons meal as well as anyone else with allergies.  Here's the catch.  When I saw the write up of the menu-they wanted to charge me $7 MORE per person to plate any one that had allergies.  Personally, I feel this is RIDICULOUS customer service and lack of knowledge of the severity of allergies.  But can this possibly be a legitimate practice?  I'm floored and really angry.

Re: Food Allergies-You want to charge more?

• What do you mean by "lack of knowledge of the severity of allergies"?  Maybe they want to charge more because they are going to have to be extra careful with the food they have to plate.  

Our venue did not charge more for special plates.  We had a buffet, but they prepared a plate with things from the buffet without the sauces for one of our guests.  Our venue wasn't cheap, and was the kind of place that charges per head and includes whatever food you want (plated or buffet), centerpieces, tables, etc.  
  • I think it's a odd, but I don't know what food they are serving instead of the regular food.  Maybe it costs more to make or something like that?

My husband sometimes has to get Kosher meals from an outside vendor for some events.  The vendor prices are sometimes more expensive than the per person price for the other guests.  He has no other choice than to pass that on to the guests.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • cmauerhacmauerha member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I guess I should have mentioned that they are actually serving one of the items from the buffet on a plate and not the other.  I think the thing that frustrates me is you wouldn't go into a restaurant and pay more because you have a food allergy.  It just seems to show a lack of care.  All my opinion but we never charged more for food allergy at my hotel so maybe I'm jaded.  For an expensive venue, I would just think they would do more to accommodate, especially because they aren't creating an entirely seperate meal.
  • It seems reasonable to me. I don't think you should be comparing a special request asked of a caterer to ordering something allergy-friendly at a restaurant.  In the restaurant context most things are made to order for each diner. Caterers have to prepare a large amount of food for a crowd.  Having them pre-plate takes more time and labor. 

Out of curiosity, how many allergic guests do you have?  I wouldn't get all fired up about this unless the number of allergic guests requiring the surcharge will put a real squeeze on your budget.
  • I asked my DH (a exec chef at a hotel) and the only times he charges more for a special request (and yes an allergy is a special request) is if it costs significantly more than the other meals and there are a lot of them.  1 or 2 he will 'eat' the costs.  If there are a lot of special requests then he passes on the extra costs (in terms of labor, food, etc) on to the guests.

He admits it's rare he charges more.

Question?  What is your meal compared to what the allergy menu?  And what kind of allergies are you talking about?  Some allergies require completely separate pots, pans, knives, etc because of cross contamination.  Do they have to buy equipment they would not have normally have to buy in order to accommodate they allergy?   

IDK?  Yes, I think it's a odd, but if accommodating the allergy means having to spend money on one-time use things I guess I can see why.  Labor is not cheap either. Having another person there to accommodate the allergies might cost money also.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards