Students

Med Students?

Hi, Ladies! I'm fairly new to this and would really like some info on how to plan during 3rd year of med school. yikes! 

Re: Med Students?

• Don't.  With residency interviews coming up in about a year, constant demands in rotations, and trying to maintain sanity, put if off until later.  H is in med school, currently in his 3rd year, and I'm lucky if I get to talk to him on a daily basis (LDR) let alone him having time to plan a wedding.  If you are going to get married this year, find a close friend or family member you trust and that is WILLING to do the majority of wedding planning for you o pay someone to plan it.  And by willing, I mean volunteer themselves and you are appreciative of what they do for you.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_med-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:a19b6f7f-d47c-427a-a44a-b37c542dec03Post:8f4eea81-95ad-4028-b304-d9f202ea6ae9">Med Students?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, Ladies! I'm fairly new to this and would really like some info on how to plan during 3rd year of med school. yikes! 
    Posted by drsteph18[/QUOTE]

Fellow med student too :)

Although the previous poster brought up valid concerns for the stress/time demands wedding planning brings on top of medical school.. I wouldn't delay getting married for school. You can't put your life on hold for school, and as bad as rotations seem, you'll likely only be that much busier in residency. So you're going to delay moving forward with your life for 5 or 6 more years? Boo. 

- Pick a smart time in the year where things don't overlap (interviews, heavy rotations, etc), and leave enough time to plan in intervals. 
    - Hopefully your school offers flexibility in time off during MS3/4 where you can take time off leading up to and after the wedding :)
    - If you can afford it, do a wedding planner/coordinator (the cost of a planner can be mitgated somewhat by the discounts/negotiating they can manage with vendors too!)
    - Maybe you will find a venue that you love that already coordinates a lot of the details too (ceremony, reception, food, cake, DJ, day of coordinator) which can help

To be honest, I'm only in the beginning of wedding planning, so maybe I'm still naive, but I have a good break down of each month what the major tasks I need to tackle are.. so I'm not stressing :)

Good luck and have fun

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_med-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:a19b6f7f-d47c-427a-a44a-b37c542dec03Post:ca2626b6-c9dd-4ada-9a47-22d0d6959a13">Re: Med Students?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Med Students? : Fellow med student too :) Although the previous poster brought up valid concerns for the stress/time demands wedding planning brings on top of medical school.. I wouldn't delay getting married for school. You can't put your life on hold for school, and as bad as rotations seem, you'll likely only be that much busier in residency. So you're going to delay moving forward with your life for 5 or 6 more years? Boo.  - Pick a smart time in the year where things don't overlap (interviews, heavy rotations, etc), and leave enough time to plan in intervals.  - Hopefully your school offers flexibility in time off during MS3/4 where you can take time off leading up to and after the wedding :) - If you can afford it, do a wedding planner/coordinator (the cost of a planner can be mitgated somewhat by the discounts/negotiating they can manage with vendors too!) - Maybe you will find a venue that you love that already coordinates a lot of the details too (ceremony, reception, food, cake, DJ, day of coordinator) which can help To be honest, I'm only in the beginning of wedding planning, so maybe I'm still naive, but I have a good break down of each month what the major tasks I need to tackle are.. so I'm not stressing :) Good luck and have fun  
    Posted by RMcDougle[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>HI!! I'm BARELY starting. I'm still looking at vendors and our date isn't even set in stone. LOL! You're probably way ahead of me! What year are you in med school? My school actually has a month "break" between MS3/4. I know my 4th year will be a lot easier since I won't be in the hospital much, but the interviews do concern me. We WILL be having a wedding planner and DOC- THANK GOODNESS!! We are having a traditional Hindu wedding (3 day event). Yikes, I know. That's why I have an amazing FMIL and a good friend (wedding planner) who will be helping me. When is your date?</div><div>
    </div><div>-Steph

</div>
  • I'm an msIV planning my wedding right not only during during residency season but from out of state it is doable! You just have to really prioritize your time. I just came off a 6 week stretch where I did nothing wedding related while I took step 2 and finished my applications and my wedding is in 6 months! As long as you know you will have times like this, you will be fine. And I completely agree with PP you can't put off the rest of your life. There will ALWAYS be the excuse of being too busy, especially as an intern and resident.
  • Another med student here!

We partially got around the pain of med school scheduling by getting engaged relatively early and having along engagement.  We got engaged in second year and will get married in fourth year.  We used downtime during second year as well as the break in between M2 and M3 to plan the wedding.  Most of it is done now, except for the stuff that has to wait until certain times.  I gave up on trying to plan around interviews.  Interview season is so long, and I didn't want to wait until after Match Day.  Plus I really liked the idea of getting married in the fall, as did my fiance.  It's all about priorities and balancing them.  Totally agree that you should not let school consume and dictate your life- that's what leads to burnout.  Good luck with planning and congrats!

Also, good luck to all of y'all with school! We all certainly need it. Smile
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_med-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:a19b6f7f-d47c-427a-a44a-b37c542dec03Post:8f4eea81-95ad-4028-b304-d9f202ea6ae9">Med Students?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, Ladies! I'm fairly new to this and would really like some info on how to plan during 3rd year of med school. yikes! 
    Posted by drsteph18[/QUOTE]
    I'm in vet school, and I can't help but to plan my wedding despite my busy schedule. I find it enjoyable to relax and plan for the best day of my life when I have an extra moment, it gets my mind off of work/school. Another thing, we are going with a destination wedding because they do most of the planning for you, you basically just have to work out the invitations and whatever else the resort doesn't look after for you. We are also planning for a wedding around christmas, because I won't be in school for a couple of weeks (and it saves you money when guests can't attend due to the holiday lol).
  • I agree, you can't put your life on hold! There's more to life than school and sadly, not enough med students realize this. There will always be an excuse (time, money, etc) not to do something, you just have to be organized! With the career you are going into, if you wait til you have enough time, you won't be able to get married until you're retired! Enlist the help of family and friends and try to keep things as simple as possible. Wedding coordinators/planners are a huge help too.

-2nd year med student
  • im still premed but we are planning for after my first year. i am doing everything possible to plan during my last semester of undergrad. and before first year of med starts. my fiance will hopefully be out of grad school and he wants to be involved. 

the key to everything is scheduling and time planning. I am sure you will do great, find a good support system and let them help you out

• I'm a resident. You think planning and getting married during M3 or M4 is hard? Residency is definitely much worse. If you put it off now, it'll never happen. M4 is cake anyways- I've spent many more nights at work this year alone than I ever did out of town for residency interviews.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi girls! I'm a 2nd year Chiropractic student and so is my fiance and I'm running into the same problem! We just got engaged in November 2012 and will be graduating December 2014.  We can't decide if we want to get married in August of 2014, before we graduate and during our clinicals, or wait until we are completely done and do it in August 2015.  My parents want us to wait until we are done, his would rather us get married right now! Both are contributing 50/50 for our wedding costs so it's hard to upset either side.   My family is saying that school and planning a wedding will be too stressful and his family thinks that I will have plenty of time. I'm so frustrated! Any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards