Favors

Charitable Donation Favor and Buffet Reception

We are having our reception in a family member's home and can't do a plated meal. We are going with a buffet dinner. We'd like to go the charitable donation favor route but I am not sure how to let our guests know. Suggestions, please?

Re: Charitable Donation Favor and Buffet Reception

• pavingtheroadpavingtheroad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could always either do one card per guest (if they will be sitting at tables) or a couple picture frames around the buffet table/bar saying In lieu of gifts a charitable donation has been made in your name to XXX charity. If the charity hits home, you could mention a little about it too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
    123image 64image 35 image 24image RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2010
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I suggest reading the MANY MANY posts on charitable donations as favors.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_charitable-donation-favor-buffet-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:684cb619-6fc3-4179-b0f1-2bc6c0d93fbaPost:dd255a82-9a83-4bed-9ae0-b17872097cfb">Re: Charitable Donation Favor and Buffet Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I suggest reading the MANY MANY posts on charitable donations as favors.
    Posted by CA2MT4EveR[/QUOTE]

This too.  Typically charitable donations are frowned upon on this board.  The bottom line is that the donation is not seen as a "favor" at all.  If you want to make a donation, then you should do that - privately.  You don't need to announce to your guests that you have chosen to make a donation. 
  • edited December 2011
    I am not sure where to find the "many many posts" regarding donation favors. Could someone direct me?

And also, I am not concerned if other posters frown upon the donation angle - that is more who I am than gifting matchbooks with our names on them. I wouldn't want them the matchbooks and don't see a purpose in having my guests inevitably throw them out. And I do make donations regularly but would like to commemorate part of how we became engaged by making a donation to the charity we visited while on our vacation (when we became engaged).

Thanks.
  • emmy82087emmy82087 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you can have a DJ or band make an announcement that you have donated money to a charity in lieu of a favor. you can place a notecard type of thing at the tables and have it say you donated to a charity.
    Mrs. Emily Wolcott June 11, 2011 :)
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A favor is something that you give TO your guests.  A donation is lovely.  I make them myself.  I heartily recommend that you make donations to a cause important to you.

Just don't pretend that they're a favor to your guests.  Because they're not.  As for telling your guests, typically you don't tell someone what they're NOT getting.

And I'm always curious about why it's the $$ for favors that gets used for the donation.  Why not the flower budget?  Or or another part of the wedding expenses?

I don't need a favor at a wedding.  Presumably I'm already being given dinner, drinks, and entertainment.  I don't care if I get a favor.  But please don't try to tell me that donating to something important to YOU is somehow a gift to me.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hate those notecards that announce the donation in lieu of favors.  I'd rather you spend that money on a larger donation than on silly little cards that I'm just going to throw out.

Donations are great.  But they're not favors.  Make the donation and don't pass out any junk to your guests.  And don't have the band/DJ announce the donation, because that's just asking for people to pat you on the head. 
  • edited December 2011
    I completely disagree with most these reponses, why can't it be a favor if you make the donation in their names? This has made me want to do the same thing, why spend money on a chocolate that will last 2 seconds, or a wine stoppers that will be thrown out. My brother got married last year and over half his guests forgot to take their favors. I think anyone who looks down on a donation is shallow. Especially if you make the donation to a charity that is somewhat personal, then in only further brings the personalities of the couple into the wedding. I say go for it!!
    * Marrying My Highschool Sweetheart * Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 215 Invited
    image 148 are ready to party! image 12 have better things to do image55 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: April 25
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_charitable-donation-favor-buffet-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:684cb619-6fc3-4179-b0f1-2bc6c0d93fbaPost:998891e6-c5fc-4886-ac85-db16f6db3b8a">Re: Charitable Donation Favor and Buffet Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I completely disagree with most these reponses, why can't it be a favor if you make the donation in their names? This has made me want to do the same thing, why spend money on a chocolate that will last 2 seconds, or a wine stoppers that will be thrown out. My brother got married last year and over half his guests forgot to take their favors. I think anyone who looks down on a donation is shallow. Especially if you <strong>make the donation to a charity that is somewhat personal,</strong> then in only further brings the personalities of the couple into the wedding. I say go for it!!
    Posted by svach059[/QUOTE]

Personal for YOU.  But what if I am agains said charity? How is that a favor to me?  And yes, there are plenty of charities out there people would be against that you would never think of.
  • edited December 2011
    Well for one, any favor you pick, someone isn't going to like. Not everyone likes dark chocolate or wine, and are therefore is "against it". Secondly, if said charity is for something like heart or cancer research, how can someone be against that? And if they were I wouldn't want to be associated with them. For me personally I have not decided whether I am doing a charitable donation for my wedding yet, but if I do, it will got to cancer and Lupus research as I lost my father to a stroke last year and my mother to lupus when I was eight. I don't see how anyone can be against this...

image 215 Invited
    image 148 are ready to party! image 12 have better things to do image55 are lollygagging
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_charitable-donation-favor-buffet-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:684cb619-6fc3-4179-b0f1-2bc6c0d93fbaPost:dfb32eae-d117-4fd0-b89a-0b2aa0375071">Re: Charitable Donation Favor and Buffet Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well for one, any favor you pick, someone isn't going to like. Not everyone likes dark chocolate or wine, and are therefore is "against it". Secondly, if said charity is for something like heart or cancer research, how can someone be against that? And if they were I wouldn't want to be associated with them. For me personally I have not decided whether I am doing a charitable donation for my wedding yet, but if I do, it will got to cancer and Lupus research as I lost my father to a stroke last year and my mother to lupus when I was eight. I don't see how anyone can be against this...

You never know.  Someone may have had a bad experience with a particular charity- you just don't know.  The main point to "donations as favors" is that it is NOT at all in any way shape or form a FAVOR to your guests.  It is you deciding to donate money (which is great) but boasting about it at your wedding (which isn't so great)
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_charitable-donation-favor-buffet-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:684cb619-6fc3-4179-b0f1-2bc6c0d93fbaPost:dfb32eae-d117-4fd0-b89a-0b2aa0375071">Re: Charitable Donation Favor and Buffet Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well for one, any favor you pick, someone isn't going to like. Not everyone likes dark chocolate or wine, and are therefore is "against it". Secondly, if said charity is for something like heart or cancer research, how can someone be against that? And if they were I wouldn't want to be associated with them. For me personally I have not decided whether I am doing a charitable donation for my wedding yet, but if I do, it will got to cancer and Lupus research as I lost my father to a stroke last year and my mother to lupus when I was eight. I don't see how anyone can be against this...

First of all, that's still not a FAVOR.  You get a tax deduction for the donation.  Your guests get... a piece of paper. 

Second, no one's telling you not to make a donation.  Just do it quietly instead of favors.  Don't print out the stupid pieces of paper proclaiming the donation.  Do it for a meaningful charity, and if someone asks, you can tell them what you did. 

But be aware, not everyone loves every charity.  Animal rights supporters might be against charities that give money to scientific research.  Some international charities only give a small portion of the donations to the needy and keep the rest for hefty administration fees. 
  • edited December 2011
    Well actually if you go on PETA you can find which charities/research do not use animals. And I find the fact that the donating as a favor is "boasting" when really the day is all about you isn't it. So who the cares?. If you or any guests think of it that way then that is sad really.

And for my family, which you did not seem to get from my last post, would see my donations as a favor. I would be donating to diseases which took two very specail loved ones. I believe everyone at my wedding would love that idea. And please check this link, there are lots of people out there who believe this to be a wonderful favor. If you don't, that's fine but you shouldn't put a person down who likes the idea.

http://www.favorideas.com/learn-about/wedding-favors/donations-as-wedding-favors/

image 215 Invited
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry, I really don't want to argue. I mean I'm not even sure if I want to do them  myself. I just feel for people on this board who even suggest it. Some people respond a little rudely. Either way, a brides wedding is her own...

image 215 Invited
  • edited December 2011
    We are donating to two charities The Alzheimer's Association, and DKMS Bone Marrow Organization.

Fi's Gpa had Alzheimers before he died, and my cousin recently passed away with Leukemia.

Everyone that will be there knew them (his side knew his gpa, and my side knew my cousin).    So therefore, it's pretty much widely accepted.

We made cards on moo.com  (the mini cards)  with breath taking photos my bridesmaid shot.  They are only $20 for 100 cards. 

good luck!  I highly recommend using moo.com!  It's soooo simple!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 99 Invited!
    image 45 Are Psyched!
    image 5 Are L0$3RZ
    image 49 Are MIA!
  • pooks75pooks75 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    svach059: It's a shame that there's such disdain from certain people on this subject; I think a bit of that shows immaturity and selfishness. I've noticed  that  most  negative comments are made by those that are younger and may not necessarily appreciate the truly important things in life. However, do what you want on your wedding day and what makes you happy. The older we get, the more we appreciate the important things in life....the lives of those around us and the people in our lives who are our heart and soul. To honor that via any charitable donation shows the true heart and character of a person, 'nough said. Whether it be announced or kept private. And the same goes to those choosing to honor other things in life that are important to them, besides just the tangible things. It just goes to show how materialistic and mindless our society has gotten with regards to planning weddings; the whole affair has gotten so wasteful and meaningless. I'd much rather see that someone has made a donation in my name to something that's meaningful to them rather than take home another cheap plastic favor or piece of chocolate i'm not gonna eat etc. etc....
  • edited December 2011
    Bravo to my previous poster! I am shocked by the negativity towards this subject. Please do not shoot down someone's idea as stupid because they want to give a donation to a charity instead of buy candy. How rude! You are entitled to your opinion, but do not belittle others in such a tone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the last two posts.
    And also if I make the donations in their name are they the ones that get a tax deduction?
    Not that that is the point of doing it, i'm just clarifying a previous post.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards